Vegans in Japan...

Emmybear

So I am going to japan in two months ! Have any of you vegans either been too or lived in japan and is there food to eat cause I heard that everything has fish in it and an apple is like 5$ OMG!!!

I already know to tell the cooks : watashi wa saishoku-shu des Kara niku nyuseihin wa tabemasen =

I am a vegan I don't eat meat or dairy products

I would be interested in knowing this too, cause my vegan daughter will be graduating in a year to go over to Japan and teach English to young students. Hopefully she will take a summer course over in Japan this summer and find out for sure what it is like over there (I told her it would be worth getting that extra loan to do it).

I was in Japan last august for 3 weeks on work. It was hard to be vegan because fish and pork was in a lot of stuff. I brought a case of Vega bars and a case of Clif bars for lunch. Breakfast would be the rice triangles and dinner would be lots of rice with vegetables. I did taste some fish in a couple of my vegetable meals so i just stopped eating it and ordered something else. They really did not speak english in the restaurants so i just pointed to a picture on the menu and prayed it would be edible. Overall it was a great experience and I was not going to let my choice of food ruin it. Good Luck!!!

What are you going to do in Japan? I spent three years in Northern Japan but that was a long time ago . . . I was vegetarian then and had no problem finding food; I'm sure you can find good vegan food there, but you might have to watch out for things like bonito and other fish in soup bases and in noodle dishes like yakisoba. Here are some sites that might be useful:

wikia vegan japan : http://vegan.wikia.com/wiki/Japan

restaurant pocket guide (tokyo, kyoto, osaka): http://www.veganjapan.net/vegan%20restaurant%20pocketguide/index_e.html

Edamame and veggie sushi should be easy to find, too.

Have a great trip!

I am going to be staying in Tokyo however we are also going to Kytoto, Osaka and Kobe. Thanks for the links. I will totally be blogging and taking pics of my food while I am there haha!

Totally unrelated but I do not think I have ever seen Richards Face...nice Avatar Buddy