How to get healthy looking skin? Plus PCOS, sugar levels etc

violetti

Has anyone else had or still have the problem called unhealthylooking skin? If I ate too much sugar (like chocolate, candy...), the day or a few of days after skin in my face gives its reaction, pimples. If I eat too much sugar, my stomach also tells it. To me much sugar is a bit different thing than to my friends for example. Many friends can eat sugary things (and some of them also eat all food like cheese and kebab) more than I and their skin doesn't give any "comments" like my skin does. One big difference between me and most of people is that I have

PCOS http://www.medicinenet.com/polycystic_ovary/article.htm

and my PCOS is a quite angry one. Acne and hair loss are some of PCOS sympthoms and I have suffered from both. PCOS people also have not so good insuline levels and suffer from sugar addiction. Been there, done that. Taking supps and reducing sugary foods helps quite much. Sometimes my motivation is all gone

Is my only way to skip almost all the sugary things? These days I don't eat candy and sugary foods that much but if I start to eat them even little, I'll eat them at least a couple of days. Not that much anymore but my skin tells if I ate too much. Of course it would be nice to have goodlooking skin and look pretty with no face powder etc. But I'm so conserned of my health because I know that my skin doesn't give those signs just for fun. If I got pimples, I know there's some probs. I eat enough fats like coldpressed oils, seeds and nuts and take care of my skin with nat cosmetics (creams) quite regularly. When I ate too little fats my skin felt dry and looked much worse. Should I just continue and wait for more results? I refused from hardline diets because of my background with ED. Of course I'm willing to try as sugarless diet as possible. I've also been said that it may be like that diet doens't help I don't want any medicins. I have done some changes and those changes have helped me. Still I'm a bit confused and worried. Sometimes it feels like my friends think I'm too worried. But when I was young (like 13 - 16 yo), my skin was so clear and pretty. When I turned 16, my PCOS started and got sympthoms but it took many years to get to know why I lost hair and got very bad skin and started to eat much much candy. I'd like to get my old skin and hair back because it would mean that things with my health wouldn't be in that horrible situation. Doctor (who isn't proffesional at all) suggested me to take contraceptive pills for regular menstruation etc. What happened? He wrote a recipe for the strongest pills and I got very bad sympthoms. Tried one month and never again. And how vegan is it to use contraceptive pills with lactose and surely animal tests before getting pills to pharmacy? And how healthy are those pills?

And yes, this is fourth day with sugary things. Like 1,5 dl ice cream, strawberry jam with low sugar %, about 50 g chocolate, seitan wok with sweet chili sauce, one piece of nougat, chips which includes little sugar and the worst things 1 l Alpro's soy chocolate drink plus some pieces of whole cane sugar. Also dried apricots. All that during four days. Can't evaluate how much above mentioned amount is but I'm really afraid how my skin looks tomorrow morning or on Wed. Earlier I ate like 300 g candy almost every day But it was so connected with bad ED times and lack of info. I just didn't realized it's not normal if you want candy everyday although between bad ED times I had good times and eat well. Sometimes I can do nothing 'cos I just want some sugar And if this continues I may get diabetes although I'm not overweighted or medicins I don't want. I haven't tried low carb diet but at least my stomach stands well rice, quinoa, whole grain pasta. Perhaps the only problem is "quick carbs", not all carbs.

So if you have some tricks regarding avoiding sugar or reducing sugar consumption, please be kind and share those tricks. Also tips for skin care based on nutrition is welcomed. I've noticed that nutrition has an impact how I feel but I still feel that those key solutions aren't in my hands yet. Or it can be it I'm too impatient.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and I really hope you will figure it out.

I've had similar problems before. I got a lot of acne probably due to an excessive consumption of unhealthy foods but my skin is clear again. Since you've had a problem with ED you should be careful obviously, but with that in mind this is what helped me: Eating whole foods! Oils was the worst thing for my skin and frying everything really messed it up. I'm not saying eat less calories/fat, but get your fat from whole seeds and nuts either raw or if you roast them at home. Balancing omega 3 and 6 to a 1:1 (or close to that) ratio might help you a lot.

Sugars is a big problem for me too. I crave it often and I think we are supposed to. Low carb diets are not good for ones health and I think you're def right when you say "it's not all carbs just bad carbs". If I were you I would eat a lot of fruits. It helped me a whole lot both with my sugar cravings and my skin problem (I do not know if the fruit helped my skin or if it just prevented the reffined sugars from damaging it but either way it's a good thing).

When it comes to facial creams, washes etc they have never helped me. I've tried a lot of them and they don't do shit. I'm sure that there are a few good ones but I think it's safe to say that nutrition is a far greater factor when it comes to skin health. If you have dry skin you can try some jojoba oil to temporarily fix the dryness but you shouldn't fool yourself thinking you've solved the problem (like many people do).

thanks for your kind words and good advice, xjohanx. to me taking a couple of tablespoons coldpressed oils daily was a big help. while cooking i don't use that much oils. i have thought that increasing the amount of unprocessed food would be wise. i already have done it step by step. i don't put my trust in facial creams. those ones i use are nature cosmetics. never ever even consider those other horrible facial creams. my plan is that after these creams i'll skip using them. my godmother recently told me that using coldpressed olive oil on skin is all good and enough.

first i though i am just a lazy bastard who just eats and eats sugar but talking with a woman who has had similar probs i realized the fault isn't mine. drinking sugary juice and crying at the same the horrible taste of it made me undestood that everything isn't okay. it took so damned long to realize the connection between my skin, hair loss, stomach pain, PCOS and eating too much sugar. it makes me happy that i know i'm going to a better direction.