Strange chest pains

inteja

Now that I have your attention, no we're not talking heart attack here, but someone might be able to give me some insights as to what might be going on. I've had a full heart checkup, blood tests and x-ray to rule out anything obvious or serious.

About 8 weeks ago I was doing reverse-incline single (left) leg press with a personal trainer. I got tired (and lazy) and lowered the weight too quickly and too far, squashing my quadricep against my chest resulting in a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower-left rib cage. It felt at the time like my internal organs and mid-riff fat was being pushed into my rib cage.

Anyway, I took myself off to my doctor, who (without any tests) figured I'd just "popped some rib cartilage" and he said to take some pain killers, give it some rest and it would be fine in 3-6 weeks. As he predicted, the pain subsided over that time.

Now for the strange bit. Last week I got similar, strong-stabbing pains in my lower-right rib cage without having had pain in that area before and having had no exercise since the first incident. It got so bad that I couldn't cough, sneeze, hiccup or breath deeply without excruciating pain, so I took myself off to the ER. They ran a heap of tests and found nothing at all wrong. They had no idea. So, more pain killers and rest were prescribed and things are better (not perfect) now but I'm worried about it returning, especially when I get back to the gym.

Has anyone had anything like this or know what it might be?

I don't know what it might be, but maybe it's the side effects of the painkillers you took the first time. It made the pain go on the other side

No seriously, I would suggest you to wait a couple of weeks, and if it's still there have another check-up. Also try to have the best diet during those weeks to help healing.

If there's really no explanation how you got this, then maybe it results of a psychic stress. Some fanatics say that all diseases/pain results from the mind trying to solve a problem/get rid of a stress. Of course that's crazy. But sometimes it can be the cause, imo. I've read also that different nature of stress (family, work, etc) or negative emotions (anger, jalousy, etc) are related to a precise part of body or organ. Maybe you can do some research on this, who knows.

Sorry to hear about the painful situation.

To ask, did you happen to have done any stretching with a heavy arch in your back, such as over the back of a low chair? I'm just asking as, I've had a few times where I stretched with a powerful arch over something and ended up pulling a muscle slightly, which made it feel like someone was driving a knife into my ribcage with every breath. I'm not sure how it all works together, but it's some sort of strain that is aggravated by the expansion of the lungs and tends to hurt for a day or two, three on the long side of things. Not sure if this is anything like what you're experiencing, but if you did any stretching with a strong arch in your back and find that the pain subsides in a day or two, then you'll have a fair idea what may have caused it. While I used to love cracking my back by arching over the low back on my chair at work, if I do it I run about a 50-50 chance of straining that spot that makes breathing painful.

Weird stuff happens from time to time with little logical explanation for the cause. Hopefully this pain passes quickly!

No, I didn't do any stretching like that.

Someone today suggested it could be "referred pain", which I hadn't heard of before now. It kinda makes sense that I may have twisted or pinched something in my back (my posture is terrible) but the actual pain is showing up on one or the other side of my lower rig cage (where there's been no trauma). It's a possibility I guess.

I have this old injury that causes a rib or two to pop out every so often. When it does, the muscles in between the ribs spasm and try to pull it back in. Sometimes it really hurts. Those tiny muscles can do a lot of work. You might wanna check with a chiropractor if you think that could be going on for you. I also have an issue with the nerve that goes through my shoulder and down my arm. Sometimes it gets irritated and causes me pain in my upper chest muscles... it also can cause me to drop stuff sometimes. You're not dropping stuff are you?

Are the docs sure your heart, lungs, upper g.i. tract, spleen, and liver are ok? Did they get squished?

If the pain continues I would get another X-ray.

My brother had 3 cracked ribs, which were missed on an X-ray, the Doctor told him it was muscular or bruising.

It took a while to heal and it wasn't until the pain returned a few weeks later (After Coughing) that he had it re X-rayed,

Discovering he had cracked ribs the whole time...

Anyway, I hope it feels better soon