Too many Carbs ?!?

hello...

i'm new to this forum but not to being vegan! I am 25 and have been vegetarian for at least 9 years and vegan 2. Currently I weigh 240lbs at 6 feet. I don't really consider myself a bodybuilder but i do train like one!

My question is, after taking a closer look at my daily intake, i realized i only get about 100-125 g's of protein a day. I'm just wondering if you guys have any advice on getting my protein content up without increasing too many carbs!?

I already take Vega, hemp protein and various amino acids.

Thanks a lot.

Welcome MarsAttacks!

I agree with Zack that more information would be helpful. Also, knowing the country where you reside is helpful because not all food products are available everywhere. For basic information, you can look at some of the threads in the nutrition section since someone recently started a thread asking a similar question.

Good luck!

Hard to help if we have no clue what you're eating.

I eat mainly:

- quinoa

- barley

- beans

- lentils

- brown rice

----------------------

- smoothie (hemp or vega, fruits, rice milk.)

I usually prepare a mixture of the first 5 is a soup or salad and mix in veggies (broccoli, spinach, carrots). Plus i snack on nuts and fruits during the day.

Besides Vega and hemp protein, other food which contain proteins without too much carbs are : seeds, nuts, alfalfa and other sprouts, tofu, tvp, tempeh, seitan.

I did a lot of research before becoming vegan because i really believe in animal rights and felt like there was no other option for me! So i wanted to make the best out of it. I have a good knowledge of the best protein foods but i feel that now (that i've been putting my research into real practice!) that i'm finding it really hard to get 300 + g's of protein a day (i'm 240lbs) without eating thousands of carbs and/or nuts!

I guess i could just drink hemp shakes all day

ps

I'm from Canada.

cheers

Besides Vega and hemp protein, other food which contain proteins without too much carbs are : seeds, nuts, alfalfa and other sprouts, tofu, tvp, tempeh, seitan.

I did a lot of research before becoming vegan because i really believe in animal rights and felt like there was no other option for me! So i wanted to make the best out of it. I have a good knowledge of the best protein foods but i feel that now (that i've been putting my research into real practice!) that i'm finding it really hard to get 300 + g's of protein a day (i'm 240lbs) without eating thousands of carbs and/or nuts!

ps

I'm from Canada.

cheers

It's going to be difficult to get that amount of protein without carbs as a vegan.

Seitan, Tempeh, Tofu, Fake meat, and protein powder are about the only low-carb low fat protein sources.

What's your workout schedule like ?

I red somewhere's if you're taking in too much protein and carbs without getting the right amount of excersise you put in.

The protein and carbs will store as fat.

Do you record a food journal ?

I train 4-5 times a week. High intensity rest-pause style (DC). I also perform HIIT cardio (Tabata method & bodyweight movements), 2 days a week.

I've never used a food journal. How does it work?

How come you want to change your diet? Do you not see the results you want to or is it just theories?

125 grams of protein isn't very much for a guy your size unless a lot of your BW is fat but health wise you don't have to increase it. If you want to gain more muscle and you're not doing it right now you are doing something "wrong" and it might just be your diet. It looks really healthy to me but you might benefit from some more protein. Tofu is the best idea I got, since there are so many different brands you can easily find one with little to no carbs (the one I use has 0,1 grams of carbs per 100grams).

Scrambled tofu is a great breakfast, you can do it both by frying or you can sautee it with water and that exclude oils.

A food journal doesn't really "work" in any way. You just write down what you eat and you can look back at it and draw conclusions like if you should eat more, less, something else etc.

i use FITDAY but there are other nutrition trackers.

its really convienent bc it saves your recent foods, so inputting data is quick and easy. its also free.

Last two months my avg day looks like this:

2329 calories

89.7 g fat 35%

324g carb 54%

67.8 protein 11%

not enough protein i guess, but i feel fine and im building muscle. too much fat, but that peanut butter is just so good.

just thought id share.

ps

I'm from Canada.

cheers

What's your bf % ? Cuz unless you're 240 lbs of pure muscle, you don't need 300 grams of proteins per day ! You need to calculate the amount of proteins you need based on your ideal weight, don't mind the excess of weight coming from bodyfat.

oh so you're in Montreal too ? I think we're the only members here around Mtl.

You're bodyfat seems low judging from the picture. You must weight 240 lbs because you're very tall and muscular. So yeah you need lots of proteins, but no need to eat only protein powders and fake meat. Just lots (enough) of calories from whole foods will provide enough proteins, then add a few hemp protein shakes if you want.

Great picture. According to your picture it looks like your BF isn't that high.

A food journal is a good idea. It tells you how many calories you're eating, it records your RDA%,

Your protein %, fat %, sugar, and carbs %.

Calories you need to be burning each day and how many calories you need to eat daily.

You also get an idea what kinds of foods you've been eating etc...

It also lets you record your activities and such. You can also write a journal to tell you how you're feeling and what kind of mood you're in etc..

I heard from ppl and from reading that you get quicker results if you want to gain or loose.

And you can do all this for free.

so, it's monday!

i've been keeping track of what i've eating. i have been getting under 100 g's of protein a day and way too many carbs! The only option i see possible to even out those numbers is to eat a lot more fake meat (i've always tried to avoid soy) and drink more protein shakes. I am truly beginning to get depressed Are there no other ways???

What if i start supplementing amino acids? I've seen 'multi amino's' that contain pretty high amounts of all the amino acids. Wouldn't that be the same as eating more protein?

From what I've seen of multi-amino supplements, they cost a lot of money for a little protein (maybe there are some cheap brands). When it comes to protein powders, I mix pea, rice and/or soy. When it comes to high protein/low carb foods, I rely on tofu, tvp and seitan (homemade so it's cheaper and tastes a lot better).

If you've tried lower protein/higher carb eating and it doesn't work for you, then you need concentrated protein sources. As a vegan, that means soy foods and/or gluten foods and/or concentrated or isolated protein powders. These are the only foods, that I know of, which come close to eggs and animal muscle in protein concentration.

You may also want to try creatine (monohydrate) unless your diet has all the essential vitamins, amino acids and minerals necessary to make an optimal amount - for muscle growth. If you're not looking for optimal muscle growth then creatine and other supplementation is probably not necessary.

Good luck with your goals!

I just did a diet for a guy that weighs a lot less than you and his calories are around 3,100 and he's getting about 235 grams protein which for him is around 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight and it wasn't hard to do at all.

The key is variety. It's easy to do if you think variety. Instead of thinking of the idea of shoving fake meats in all day... think balance. High Protein tofu for your first meal, seitan at lunch, a pea protein shake at night, a hemp shake in the afternoon. Think BALANCE.