CARDIO help.

hello.

i train pretty hard a few days a week. I love the basic compound lifts. I really don't enjoy traditional cardio (very boring) and i live in a climat where it is freezing most of the year, so outdoor cardio is impossible during the winter months.

Plus, i've always heard that long steady cardio is catabolic. That makes sense to me as it primarily uses slow twitch muscles.

Does anybody have any advice? Maybe some new cardio options?

Anybody ever try Tabata intervals?

Thanks

I have been using a few different cardio techniques recently. The first one is where I will do 15 mins on a recumbent, then rest 45 mins then hit it again. Spreading this throughout the day, normally on days where I don't have to go to work. The other routine is where I get on the treadmill and outright sprint with all effort for 2 solid minutes. Then I will walk for 2 mins then sprint again. Rinse and repeat for maybe 4 to 6 intervals. Trust me you will be breathing heavy and huffing and puffing. I live in Alaska and do this sorta thing during the winter months. During the summer months I will sprint up the block (dirt road) then walk back to the beginning of the block then sprint again. I've also jogged up the block with a tube of sand on my back then walked backwards dragging the bag back to the start of the block, but that is more of a hamstring exercise.

Cardio is one of those things that you've got to mix up and be creative with or you 'may' burn out. I understand how limiting the weather can be, but you might want to try running outside in the cold. Ice on the other hand is an issue, but if you can find the right shoes, clothing and area; working outside isn't that big of an issue.

I hate cardio work as well, but found a few things that seem to work well for me -

1. Barbell complexes. Not heavy, (I usually used 75-115 lbs. depending on the sequence of lifts), but doing sets such as snatch grip deadlift-RDL-hang power snatch-overhead squat-drop bar to squat position on upper back-good morning-press over to front and repeat for anywhere from 3-6 sets. Even with light weight, they'll kill just about anyone, as nothing has left me wanting to puke more than 3-5 rounds of these. Great for conditioning, will work your heart rate like you've just done all-out sprinting, and won't tax muscles too much since the weight isn't too heavy.

2. Shortening rest periods for lifting, dropping the weight/upping reps. During my best fat loss from earlier last year, I made the most progress by simply chaning my training for a bit and going with sets of 15-50 reps per set, doing at least 2 lifts back-to-back and keeping rest periods at 90 seconds or less. So, I'd do something like 20 rep pulldowns, followed by 20 rep close-grip bench. Yeah, the weights were not always super-amazing, but combined with a good diet it seemed to melt fat off pretty quickly.

And finally, when there's nothing else, just a steady walk at 65% of my max HR does the trick, but that's a last resort most times

I hate cardio work as well, but found a few things that seem to work well for me -

1. Barbell complexes. Not heavy, (I usually used 75-115 lbs. depending on the sequence of lifts), but doing sets such as snatch grip deadlift-RDL-hang power snatch-overhead squat-drop bar to squat position on upper back-good morning-press over to front and repeat for anywhere from 3-6 sets. Even with light weight, they'll kill just about anyone, as nothing has left me wanting to puke more than 3-5 rounds of these. Great for conditioning, will work your heart rate like you've just done all-out sprinting, and won't tax muscles too much since the weight isn't too heavy.

2. Shortening rest periods for lifting, dropping the weight/upping reps. During my best fat loss from earlier last year, I made the most progress by simply chaning my training for a bit and going with sets of 15-50 reps per set, doing at least 2 lifts back-to-back and keeping rest periods at 90 seconds or less. So, I'd do something like 20 rep pulldowns, followed by 20 rep close-grip bench. Yeah, the weights were not always super-amazing, but combined with a good diet it seemed to melt fat off pretty quickly.

And finally, when there's nothing else, just a steady walk at 65% of my max HR does the trick, but that's a last resort most times

i dont know why on EARTH i never thought of this before.....ryan youre a genius!

i dont know why on EARTH i never thought of this before.....ryan youre a genius!

Thanks, but I can't take too much credit for it When I was training at the place near me that specialized in athletic performance, complexes were what EVERYONE had to do after 15 minutes of dynamic warm-ups and stretches. By the time we'd be done, all will to do more training was pretty well gone, but we did it anyway They're used a lot for bringing up one's conditioning (progress comes quickly, and EVERYTHING seems easier after you get used to them ), and they double up as great for fat loss HIIT-style.

The high rep/lower weight workouts are simply taking what I've heard as recommendations and adapting them to my own style. Definitely worked well, didn't lose much strength even with a drop of 30 lbs. total body weight, and it was a heck of a lot more fun than spending my time on a treadmill or bike!

Awesome. I will be ending today's workout with these. I believe I'll start with just the bar, so that I don't die. Thanks!

HIIT is great when you don't have much time.

I kind of hate cardio too, sometimes it's nice to go out and run but usually it isn't. I'm gonna try to start paddling this spring and I always play sports in spring/summer like football (both real football and amercan) and basketball. There are so many ways to do cardio.

My gym doesn't have kettlebelts but sometimes a group of guys who brings their own are there, I've joined them a couple of times and I've learned that kettlebelts can be fantastic cardio equipment.

HIIT is great when you don't have much time.

I kind of hate cardio too, sometimes it's nice to go out and run but usually it isn't. I'm gonna try to start paddling this spring and I always play sports in spring/summer like football (both real football and amercan) and basketball. There are so many ways to do cardio.

My gym doesn't have kettlebelts but sometimes a group of guys who brings their own are there, I've joined them a couple of times and I've learned that kettlebelts can be fantastic cardio equipment.

YES! kettlebells sound great to me! I know Mike Mahler swears by them.