BODY Weight Cardio

Hello everyone.

I'm thinking of trying out this new cardio regime. I'm not a huge fan of endurance style cardio. I train heavy with weights 4 days a week. I would perform this routine on off days.

I would LOVE to get some of your opinions.

(all movements are done with body weight only)

- prisoner Squat -- 30 secs on / 30 secs rest

- push-ups -- 30 secs on / 30 secs rest

- lunge twists -- 30 secs on / 30 secs rest

- spider man push-ups -- 30 secs on / 30 secs rest

- plank -- 60 secs hold

rest a couple of minutes, then repeat

thanks

The main pointers I can offer you in devising what type of non-traditional cardio routine is going to benefit you. Is to attempt to take advantage of two factors, rapid change in blood pressure and utilizing the 'full range' of the heart.

Rapid changes in your elevation, for instance squats and lunges, will effect your blood pressure. Rapidly changing your position from laying on the floor and standing will also do this. That type of activity will stress your body in a way that it is forced to compensate.

Taking advantage of the full range of the heart is another key. Attempt to vary the intensity and the interval as erratic as possible. So that the body has to constantly adjust for the stress. Rest is key in between the 'sets', so that your body has the opportunity to make the adjustment.

I won't offer specific exercises to perform as that is more of a preference of the individual. As long as it is an exercise that you can execute with pristine form and that takes advantage of elevation and erratic changes in intensity. You should be able to get the most out of your heart.

However if you do want suggestions or creative ideas on particular exercises, PM me.