Bodybuilders must be dying of cancer and heart disease ...

RAINRA

I love animals, I am vegan and I think this is the ultimate diet. I just thought of something the other day. If all the crap that we avoid is milk and meat in particular that must mean according to studies like the CHINA STUDY that regular weight lifters and bodybuilders who are some of the people who consume the most amount of milk and meat should be falling like flies with cancer and heart disease?

Just curious if anyone knows the the health of bodybuilders of all types as they get to their older age? Are they coming down with cancer? How many are dead from heart disease?

I know little about bodybuilders since I am not one to follow the scene.

From what I have read of human health, daily exercise is a much bigger factor in lifespan and disease than diet is. BBers eat shite, but they are very active, so overall they are probably coming out even or perhaps a bit ahead.

Of course intense BBing is hard on the body, so they might break down early because of that too...

What the horse said, however..

Some of the bodybuilders have a lot of health problems with their liver, kidneys and prostate (at least that is what I read somewhere). Mike Matarazzo who's an IFBB pro always talked about how you have to eat red meat and he had either one or two heart attack(s). But the thing is, even though many consume a diet pretty much filled with crap, most of them don't do it all their life. They eat a normal diet (not saying that's good) untill they're maybe 16-18 and then they stop being body builders in their 30-40s.

If their diseases with kidneys and liver are due to their high consumption of animal products or steroids is impossible to say.

The China Study was a study of a large group of people followed over many years with generalized results. I don't believe they studied any sub-groups that ate a very high animal protein/low carb diet so it's not really possible to extrapolate any of the results to bodybuilders, IMO. Even if you could do so, you would have to account for those bodybuilders who've used supplements that might increase the incidence of cancer or heart disease. As mentioned above, cancer and heart disease are related to more than just nutrition.

I think that this is subjective to each individual. Diet and lifestyle affect each person differently. Dave Draper, a former Mr America, has had multiple heart attacks and other health problems. Steve Reeves died at age 74 of lymphoma. But look at Frank Zane, still healthy, fit, and going strong at 66. Stallone looks great at 60 something, so there may be no way to pigeonhole the effects of this type of lifestyle.

I love animals, I am vegan and I think this is the ultimate diet. I just thought of something the other day. If all the crap that we avoid is milk and meat in particular that must mean according to studies like the CHINA STUDY that regular weight lifters and bodybuilders who are some of the people who consume the most amount of milk and meat should be falling like flies with cancer and heart disease?

Just curious if anyone knows the the health of bodybuilders of all types as they get to their older age? Are they coming down with cancer? How many are dead from heart disease?

I know little about bodybuilders since I am not one to follow the scene.

I could provide a very long list of bodybuilders who have died or have had serious health problems, including a bunch of pro bodybuilders I've met (so current situations).

Like anything, I think it is a combination of the high consumption of animal foods and the drugs being taken and used. Again, the list is very long, just of famous bodybuilders.....the list of non-famous bodybuilders who have serious health problems must be (without exaderation) 100 times longer.

I am convinced it is the combination of high intake of harmful foods and harmful drugs.

For fun (well not really fun, kinda sad really....) go back through a Muscle Magazine from just 5 years ago, and look at those guys....many of them now...only 5 years later are dead, in the hospital, have had to give up bodybuilding because of kidney failure, or because of other health-related problems.

Pro Wrestling is suffering from the same thing....again, lots of bad foods and drugs and they are dropping off at alarming rates.

It's all really too bad because it is nearly all self-inflicted.

Good to know since I don't follow them I am glad that some of you shared what you know. I mean they are really suspect to sickness. I just never heard or read any muscle mag saying anything about any bodybuilder dealing with cancer or heart disease but I guess that is because that would make people think and it would hurt their sponsors.

Stalone is on Testosterone and HGH, and for being in his 60s, he does look good. Perhaps it is the proliferation of newer, stronger drugs that current bodybuilders are using that is wreacking havoc on their health. Many bodybuilders from the 60s and 70s seem to be aging quite well. (Zane, Sergio Olivia, and Larry Scott come to mind)

Yes most bodybuilders eat lots of white eggs, chicken breasts and tuna, whole grains, etc, and they eat more than most people overall, but I think that's better than what most other people eat, those who are not bodybuilders and who don't practice any sport on a regular basis, those are less interested in being healthy, lean and fit, so they smoke cigarettes and will eat a diet higher in animal fats or refine sugars, like donuts, chips, cookies, pizza, fast food at McDeath and they won't bother about separating the white eggs from the yolk and they will eat bacon and stuff like that.

Andreas Munzer died at 30

Johnny Perry 30 (cocaine + steroids)

Scott Klein 30

Mohammed Benaziza 33

Trevor Smith 33

Jesse Murande might have been and died at 27

Rob Sager 29

Curtis Leffler 36

Derrick Whitsett 37

Eric Otero 37

Eddie Guerrero 38

Chris Sneddon 39

Anthony D'Arezzo 44

Charles Durr 44

Hans Hopstaken 45

Edward Kawak 47 (5 time Mr. Universe)

Sonny Schmidt 50

Don Youngblood 51

Gred Deferro 53

Hercules Hernandez died at 46.

Road Warrior Hawk died at 45.

Curt Henning died at 44.

Rick Rude died at 41.

Terry Gordy died at 40.

Davey Boy Smith died at 39.

Brian Pillman died at 36.

Mike Matarazzo had his first heart attack at 39 and his second at 42, Tom Prince and Marko Savolainen nearly died of kidney failure, Flex Wheeler needed a kidney replaced, and Dennis Newman has Leukmia. There was a show on the Discovery Channel where a former Mr. Universe said steroids was the cause of his three heart attacks I think it was. A former Miss Universe contestant Louise Nuttall-Halliwell died after spending nearly two years in an insulin-induced coma.

http://paulkatcher.com/archives/000550.shtml

Many names on here are the ones I'm thinking of, and more...

Josh.....I'm surprised you're not familiar with this??? You've been around the sport a while...don't you often wonder where Orville Burke is? Or Tom Prince, Wheeler, Matarazzo, or others? They can't compete anymore....and there is a long list of others....RAINRA provided some.

I've probably been around the IFBB longer than anyone here, that is why some names come to mind that others may not know....and I've been looking through a bunch of old magazines lately as I'm sorting out some stuff to recycle, throw away, etc. and saw a bunch of guys who had to say goodbye to the sport early.

Yesterday I was watching the Strongest Man in the World contest and there was this 26 year old who looked 40. He was a really big guy.

I know steroids have a shitload of detrimental effects on the body. It's known to cause heart attacks. I watched this movie called "The Man Whose Arm Exploded" and it was really good. Talked about steroid abuse.

It was that bust that forced Stallone to "go public" with his drug use. He was o several news and talk shows shortly thereafter proclaiming the benefits of his drug use. He claimed that testosterone would be a common over the counter drug within 10 years. He also claimed that his use is under a "doctors" orders and supervision.

Robert, I looked over my old muscle magazines a while ago, and many of the featured people are still around . . . ok, they're from the 60s and the people I'm talking about are Zane, Draper, Arnold, Olivia etc . . .

I still think that it is the newer, stronger, "designer" steroids that are killing off so many of the younger generation of BBs.

You're right, "most" are still around"....I see these guys every year. I attend multiple shows a year....I'm just saying there are tons that aren't fine. And the reason why it bothers me is because I knew some of these guys personally who later had all kinds of heart problems, living problems, etc. It makes me sad seeing really nice guys, fun to be around, role models in bodybuilding suffer.......and all because it is self inflicted.

Again, I understand that "most" are still around....I'm just saying whip open an old muscle magazine and look through it and changes are a certain unfavorable percentage of the guys have had major health problems.

Some are "clean" now, or natural "now" and that is good, but they have had a lifetime of drug abuse that still may catch up with them...not to mention all the meat eating and dairy and egg consumption.

I certainly am not arguing the fact of definate self-inflicted damage. It does seem to me that there are more casualties in recent years. I think the stronger, higher doses of drugs are mostly to blame, with diet being a contributing factor. I think that as the sport evolves, the ideals, parameters, AND the drugs evolve. This seems to have led to a higher body count.

I just get bothered by the destruction because these were my heroes when I was younger, and some I know personally and it sucks to hear that they are seriously ill because of some of these things...........but I guess those drugs got them the physiques that I looked up to in the first place....so it's a weird thing.

Most are seemingly "fine" and that is a good thing. But the mentality of some bothers me....like a big dude here in OR who says he doesn't really care if he lives past his 30's but will do what it takes to be the biggest around, etc. And he is a monster and looks awesome....but who knows what the implications will be.

I just hope people stay healthy as long as possible.

Don't know why anyone would do steroids when you can up your testosterone level the natural way by exercising and eating certain foods. Was googling people who have abused the roids and this came up...

http://www.bofunk.com/media/images/muscle.jpg

http://www.islandmuscle.com/images/huge_muscles.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd68/veritas227/jesus20nigger.jpg

Is this a joke? These are photoshopped right???