Elephant hunts in Zimbabwe criticized

Vegan Joe

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/elephant-hunts-zimbabwe-criticized/story.aspx?guid=%7B96DF1636-6F61-4BA1-91DC-904443960C3D%7D&dist=msr_1

Last update: 1:56 p.m. EST Jan. 18, 2009

HARARE, Zimbabwe, Jan 18, 2009 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Animal rights activists say little of the money paid by hunters to kill elephants in national parks in Zimbabwe is being used for conservation efforts.

"Because of the corruption and financial situation I would be surprised if anything at all reached conservation or communities," said Michael Wamithi, spokesman for the International Fund for Animal Welfare.

Hunters pay more than $10,000 each to ...

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this back up.

Have you seen the article in Time ( I think its Time ) about how elephants live shorter life spans and are prone to more diseases while living in zoos than elsewhere?

Also: My favorite story ever in National Geographic. It was about the people who hunt the elephant hunters. And I dont mean to arrest them or whatever. I'm talking about hunting in the strictest since. Any illegal hunters of elephants are met with the same force the use against the elephants. They say its an uphill battle because there are always more hunters than protectors and most of the time the land they patrol is so large that the hunters are long gone by the time the protectors come...