Martial artist, not exercised in months.

Justincblount

I quit martial arts a few years ago, barely practiced or worked out since. I want to get back in top shape and kicking ass again. I had a collapsed lung for a short time from smoking too much menthol and reefer. I wasn't that strong even when I was in martial arts, pretty damn fast though. Never had chest muscles in my entire life.

(Vegan for about a year now. I still eat out regularly, and don't obsess over butter not being vegan, hashbrowns cooked on top of bacon grease, etc, but the animal products aren't what I'm paying for, so I still consider myself vegan. If stranded or starving, I'll eat what I can, so I reason that it's good to have a slight animal intake, so those proteins won't be completely alien to my body should I need them in survival situations. If you believe the conspiracy theorists, or even religious fanatics, all hell is about to break loose.)

Right now, I'm about skinny as a toothpick. I don't care anything about gaining mass, I just want my muscles firmed and be able to punch and kick like Jan Lee. I got the idea to post a torso pic every month so you all can see my progress. My only problem is I eat mostly starch. Potatoes, beans, rice, noodles, grits, etc. I never worried about my diet, I eat whatever I feel like at that moment.

I really don't care to use any supplements. Should I??

Hi Justin and welcome !

I hope you'll gain some muscles. A diet high in carbs is ok, the combination of bread, rice, beans, etc should provide enough proteins as long as you eat enough of those. But if you're not interested in foods higher in proteins like tofu, fake meat, etc, yes if you want it may be a good idea to supplement with a protein shake in the morning or whenever you like.

Stay away from butter and bacon grease, it's better for you. If I may ask, what kind of survival situations are you thinking of? If you become a war prisoner in a foreign country or whatever, they will probably feed you with rice, oatmeal or other vegan food, since meat and animal products are still foods for the rich. And if you're lost in Yukon or Groenland and you absolutely must eat fish or seals, chances are you'll die without any weapons to hunt, even polar bears have a hard time finding food, but if you do find food, don't worry, your body will still be able to recognise animal proteins and use it, even after 100 years of veganism.

Ni Hao! Having been in your position, I can say that easing back into exercise routines really helps to build momentum. If you remember any of your routines and forms, that's great. If not, maybe just some stretching and practicing basic moves and combos would get those muscle memories resurfaced. Are you going to enroll in a school? The important thing is to set your goals, take baby steps, be consistent, and don't stress if you miss a day. Good luck!

I'm more likely to be held prisoner in my own country. Reading the "patriot" act, I have no doubt I'd be classed an enemy combatant and detained indefinitely without charges, etc, in which case all you can do is endure until these unconstitutional laws are repealed, which I wouldn't count on, especially with the "new world order" crap a lot of people insist is in the final stages of planning. I hear vegans can't eat meat without getting sick, so that's what I'm worried about, I don't need to be sick on top of malnourishment. I've talked to a lot of homeless people, and if they have to eat whatever they can out of the trash, I don't see myself being much better off when the dollar is demonetized, if you believe that stuff. As an "enemy" of the system, I have to be prepared for all possible outcomes. I do plan on going back to martial arts school. Great exercise, physical training, free showers.

I ordered the Marijuana Muscle supplement. Hahaha. I like marijuana, hopefully it won't ruin my smoothies.