Question about nutrition & training

ajm

Hi all, I'm hoping to be pointed in the right direction, I've got 2 goals - more muscle gain and defined abs - and I'm not sure which plan(s) on here would be best for to adopt, if any deal with both training and nutrition or if I should deal with each seperately. I'm 21 and currently 56.2kg, any help appreciated.

Hey Ajm,

First off, you will need to take into account your body type and current level of fitness, muscle etc?

Your body type will affect how easy it is to build muscle and how easy it is to lose fat.

Getting a six pack and gaining more muscle are difficult to achieve at the same time. There are a few genetically gifted people on here that have been able to achieve both, but this is not very common.

To build more muscle you will need to increase your calories and lift weights on a regular basis. You might want to have a look at Tuc and sosso's training journals as they have both added a lot of muscle in this past year.

It is possible to add significant muscle using both whole body routines and splits (seperating muscle groups on to different days)

as well as different combinations of reps and sets, 5 x 5, 3 x 12, etc

The only way to achieve more visble abs is to reduce your body fat. This is best achieved through watching what you eat and cardio as well as lifting weights. There are a few different thoughts on what diet to adopt to achieve this, but from my own personal experience I have found a diet high in protein and low in processed carbs (White Flour, Pasta etc) achieves the best results.

In terms of Cardio, again there are different ideas on what works best. Generally it is best to either seperate your weights and cardio into differnt sessions (morning and night or different days) or to do your cardio at the end of a weights session.

High Intensity Interval training is generally considered the most effective form of cardio, it is also a lot less boring.

Taking that into account most people will go through a muscle building stage (bulking) and then a fat reducing stage (cutting).

If you are happy looking slim to defined, then you might want to concentrate on reducing your body fat

If you would like to gain more muscle and can live without a six pack for a little bit longer, then I would lift heavy weights and eat a bit more.

If you can post a bit more information

Height, activity levels, current training and current diet then people will be able to give you a lot more feed back.

Thanks Sidneyvegan thats just what I needed. I knew it would be one after the other with abs and muscle but wasn't sure long each would take etc so thats great. Its mainly muscle and not much body fat, I've been working out a bit the past few months and made some definite progress, I think I'd rather build a bit more muscle for now and then address the abs.

I tried interval training for the first time today actually and it was great! Much less boring lol

Thanks again

Thanks Sidneyvegan thats just what I needed. I knew it would be one after the other with abs and muscle but wasn't sure long each would take etc so thats great. Its mainly muscle and not much body fat, I've been working out a bit the past few months and made some definite progress, I think I'd rather build a bit more muscle for now and then address the abs.

I tried interval training for the first time today actually and it was great! Much less boring lol

Thanks again

Happy to help

Good to hear you are making progress already.

Enjoy the muscle building phase, IMO this is the fun bit...