Top vegan moments

revolushuneyz

So everyone has them: those moments when you think "YEAH!", totally stoked on being vegan. Today, I had one, I work for the government, and well, it's not so vegan. I am that freak. Today, I met "the other" vegan on my floor, who is actually raw vegan. He's been vegan for years and he's my age. I geekishly said to him "yeah, it's awesome that there's another one". That was my top vegan moment.

Other people have moments? Moments when you just love being vegan (other than every moment of your life)?

Interestingly enough i had one today! I was conducting all of these interviews for my new job today. I was hiring the whole front of house staff for this restaurant that is opening in two weeks and this girl i was interviewing said she was vegan (i got a question in that divulged this! heheh) and i was like "Sweet! Me too!" .....SOooooooooooo unprofessional! hahahahaha. oh well. she's already got the job in my eyes. i mean, she IS highly qualified.

My most recent top vegan moment was two weeks ago, my boyfriend didn't know I was listening but I overheard him telling a random person all the benefits of a vegan diet and why dairy is so unhealthy. A little background... he was a meat & potatoes guy when we met 8 months ago and I never pushed him to choose a vegan diet, only lead by example and answered questions that he asked. It didn't take long for him to adopt a nearly 100% vegan diet and now he's spreading information as well

Not to sure on my top vegan moments. Here a few:

getting the Department of Corrections to rocognize it as a tenant of my belief system, and therefore supply me with a somewhat edible vegan diet

seeing clients and friends switch to a vegan diet initally to lose weight, but then changing their entire lifestyles

seeing a bodybuilder i dated switch to one vegetarian day a week... and get so excited he forgot that it'd mean i was right so he called and told me ... haha! hey small strides.

I started working out with this guy from my old work who was a meat eater and he never ever thought about going veg. He always asked me about good nutrition for building muscles and I told him the basic bodybuilding diets like chicken breast, eggs and whey etc. I never pushed him or suggested for him to stop eating meat but when he asked why I didn't eat it I always replied sincere.

One day when he had recently been to Las Vegas he said "I was at a table with my friends and we all ordered the steak and I started thinking how gross this was, that it had acctually been a live individual once" I was like "Yes..." because I totally saw where he was going with this. He continued "And I thought about you and what you said about animal rights and the next time I ate I had a huge plate of tofu instead". I was smiling so hard both on the inside and on the outside. He continued eating fish for about a month then basically went 80% vegan. I moved away and we sort of lost contact which was really sad since I enjoyed working out with him (nothing beats screaming Coleman stuff out loud at midnight in the gym) but we talked some over christmas and now we speak on regular basis again. One week ago he told me that he went completely vegan and that he loved it so much he never thought he was going back.

One of those moments where my big, probably the first when he ordered tofu.

I work at a grocery store and was ringing in a family of three. I usually comment on vegan products like Almond milk or Tofurky and tell them how much I like it, which is usually a great way to start a conversation and tell them some more about Veganism. Anyhow, they were buying chocolate almond breeze, and I told them how amazing it was, which they replied with "Yeah, it's the best." I told them since going vegan, I've tried everything, and almond is my favorite. They replied with "We're vegan too." My jaw dropped, haha. The family went Vegan in the summer, and were super stoked on eating better and being closer to the food they eat.

There are no vegans where I live, so it was nice to see there are others, and FAMILIES at that, haha.

• 1 month later...

Coolest moment EVER!

Got one of my girlfriends to go vegan, plus quit smoking and drinking. Right now its a weight loss thing... But I think she will stick with it even though I had to give up my favorite - gum to get her to do it. Im so proud! I love seeing peoples lives change. Totally stoked. Just had to share! So proud of my girl Tammy! Whoohooo!

I was driving home from a long trip and saw a billboard for veganism.

"YOU'RE a vegan? I don't ever think I've seen a HEALTHY vegan!" Might sound like a not-so-good thing, but shattering stereotypes is always great!

My boyfriend, who isn't vegan or vegetarian, was mad when we went to a restaurant and they had no vegan food. "I don't know why they don't serve this stuff. It really pisses me off, because that's not fair to you," he said. He and I also had conversations about being vegan, and stuff he's said:

"I just see how happy you are, how much you've changed [in regards to my fibromyalgia], and how great your skin looks, and I think it'd be a good idea."

"Oh, yeah, I love portabello mushrooms! I wouldn't even need meat if I had those on a sandwich!"

"Oh, don't add cheese to that. Sometimes, you just gotta appreciate the flavors of the hummus and veggies, you know? Can't put too much on there."

And, the best was when I was able to meet a fellow vegan who's into fitness at the supplement store I workout at.

Her: "Yeah, I do the whey...I'm a vegetarian and worried about protein, you know?"

Me: "Well, you don't have to worry. I'm a vegan and into bodybuilding, and I'm fine."

Her: "Really? You're a vegan? I always wanted to go vegan but was worried about protein!"

Me: "Oh, nothing to worry about! [explained where you can get protein and calcium and all that jazz]."

Her: "Wow! That's awesome!"

Me: *writes down www.veganbodybuilding.com website for her on a piece of paper*

She came in at a later date and showed me a book she bought through a link from the website, too, talking about how great it is being vegan now and whatnot.

Today I had a top vegan moment. A manager at work was asking me a lot of questions about being vegan, and this was coming from a person that I never thought would be interested in learning abut being vegan. Just goes to show that vegans can rub off on people. I just hope I gave good info, and answered all the questions accurately enough.

Had another one... Was discussing my soon to be done vegan tattoo ( by this summer for sure ) and

some guy was like - so your a real vegan no honey and all..

ANd I was like - yeah straight up...

And he apparently works with some guy thats also vegan here in town...

Craziness - Im not completely alone!!!!!!!!! Whooohoooooooooo

So apparently, Vega is also a brand of motorcycle helmets. I work at a coffee shop and in a woman's car I noticed a cardboard box with "Vega" written on the outside of it. It was plain and I could not see the actual Vega logo (either one), so I started to talk to her about veganism and body building. She said something like, "I don't really work-out that much but I try to stay in shape." I thought it was really odd that she had the Vega, then. She seemed really put off by it and wondered why in the world I was talking to her. She eventually told me it was a motorcycle helmet for her husband.

I was bored one day. So I tried out a experiment with the food processor and make some energy bars out of dates and almonds. Like a remake of a Lara Bar.

I got my mom to try them and she can't believe how great they tasted.

Today she bought some to work with her. And she had some ppl try them.

As I went to pick her up. I was complimented by on how great they tasted. So I guess I'm going to have to make some more, considering they are gone, and I haven't even had one to myself.

My mom already wants me to make her Vegan meal.

Another moment, a friend from when I was on the tri club. He said that he wants to eat better now. Just from looking at my pictures on facebook.

Being Vegan is attracting !

I read these the other day, and thought, "Nothing like this ever happens to me." So I am stranded at the airport with no food, hungry as hell, and searching for anything I can eat. I find a place that serves boca burgers and order one. It was really hot in the airport so I took off my sweat shirt, and I was wearing a really tight Nike tank top underneath. Love the shirt, it makes me look about fifteen pounds bigger than I really am. I wish I could wear it to work.

I went up to get my veggie burger when it was done, and ths s e guy look at the veggie burger, looked at me with his eyes popping, then kind of tilted his head a little and said, "You get THAT big eating veggie burgers." I just smiled, and said, "Absafuckinglutely." It was truly an awesome moment. When people see me as a bodybuilder they ask me about diet, and I love explaining that I don't eat meat or any animal products (okay an occassional free range omlette or capuccino has been known to grace my table), but they are always shocked. Every time I show that the stereotype (one that I bought into for years) of the scrawny vegetarian who will blow away in the wind is simply not accurate I feel great.

So I work for the Government of Canada. It's a massive bureaucracy of generally non-vegan types (I know of 2 of us on my floor, but I work in "arts" so it's seemingly more "common"). At work they started having these "pizza party" lunches to discuss various policies. They give the option of buying pizza. So the next coming up relates directly to my job. T

he guy who was organizing was asking who would be contributing to the pizza fund. I emailed him back to say that I wouldn't be contributing because I am vegan, which also meant there was no risk of me trying to eat free pizza.

End of story...or so I thought.

He just emailed me to say that he spoke to the Pizza place and they would be providing vegan pizza, so I could eat too. Seriously. I was dumbfounded. Super stoked on it. This will be the maybe the second time that I can actually participate in a work event that involves food.

And, it's a small step, but they would only be offering vegetarian pizza (for the Government...and Hull, Quebec, that's a HUGE step).

• 2 weeks later...