PETA ad "too hot for NBC"

robert

Nothing really shocking, they weren't even naked. Human body and sex are natural things, personally I don't care if it's censored because I don't watch tv and even less commercials, but I wouldn't like that movies get back to the censorship of half a century ago and there would be only religious movies! Over sexualization of women ? But who complains about over sexualization of men ?

Sure can and have been imo. Just look at how we are programmed into thinking we need to wear expensive boxer shorts with some other dudes name on them or pay a tonne of money for a crappy supplement that 'will' make us huge and muscular all just to be seen as acceptable or more acceptable in society. True, I think women have it harder with all the makeup stuff but it's not just glossy perfectly groomed women that are plastered all over the magazines.

Anyone who's seen Fight Club knows what I mean!

Sometimes I despise it but hey, that's how things are, they are the rules. You either play the game or you don't. So whilst it may be screwed up...most of it's human nature and who are we to deny it?

The sex I have is the best it ever gets, well at least for me anyway. (smiley smoking cig.)

As far as the peta thingy.

Well it's alway good to call foul on the other guy, right after you realize it was you who fouled him.

You know, If I want to sell something using tits and ass it ok, but because I don't like what your selling I'm going to condemn your actions. Sorry ladies I do have great respect for women so please don't be affended by my less than stellar anotomy adjectives.

WTF are you cats talking about, that was one of the greatest damn things I have ever seen.

I respect woman, and veggies alike, but damn I also know what I love, and well that was one of the things I love.

Were they trying to send a message though? I dont recall seeing any words.

Really??? Peta has a million and one resources at their hands....and THIS is what they come up with. you know, I try so hard to support everything that supports veganism, but i'm gonna go right out here and say that I despise that organization in particular. they're just friggen scandalous. They exploit women SO MUCH its not even funny and lets not even get me started on how much that pisses me off. like there are no other eye grabbing tactics other that t&a right? Its really sickening. But what point were they trying to make with this commercial?? Who do they think they're going to convert with that? College frat boys??? Highly unlikely. It just makes no sense.

I see no harm in using one's beauty to promote veganism WHEN THAT BEAUTY IS RELATED TO THE VEGANISM! But even if the plan was to merely GRAB PEOPLES ATTENTION with this bared and gyrating flesh.....dont you think you should have something to say once you have it?

Peta pisses me off. They make us look stupid. They make veganism look stupid, tacky and trendy. Why they are THE leading promoters of veganism I will never uinderstand....

Thanks again peta for yet another riveting act of garbage media.

Really??? Peta has a million and one resources at their hands....and THIS is what they come up with. you know, I try so hard to support everything that supports veganism, but i'm gonna go right out here and say that I despise that organization in particular. they're just friggen scandalous. They exploit women SO MUCH its not even funny and lets not even get me started on how much that pisses me off. like there are no other eye grabbing tactics other that t&a right? Its really sickening. But what point were they trying to make with this commercial?? Who do they think they're going to convert with that? College frat boys??? Highly unlikely. It just makes no sense.

I see no harm in using one's beauty to promote veganism WHEN THAT BEAUTY IS RELATED TO THE VEGANISM! But even if the plan was to merely GRAB PEOPLES ATTENTION with this bared and gyrating flesh.....dont you think you should have something to say once you have it?

Peta pisses me off. They make us look stupid. They make veganism look stupid, tacky and trendy. Why they are THE leading promoters of veganism I will never uinderstand....

I hear What you are saying, and I can't disagree with your points.

And I agree with you too, Dani - eventhough that's not what my first post reflected.

Thing is, I'm against censorship and I love free expression, sexual or not; I think a woman or man has the right to walk naked in the street if this is what this persons wants. But I think there's stupid ways (like this Peta ad) and intelligent ways. It seems to me it's not very respectful towards women in general and ads like this show some stupid human behavior. But I prefer to live in a society where sexuality is not seen as a bad thing and I don't like at all those republican religious fanatics who wants to take over the world with the word "indecency" on all their lips and who denounce every inch of naked skin as if it was the manifestation of Satan himself.

Maybe the use of sex in medias and the over sexualization of women - and men - is a way to (unconsciously) rebel against those who still wish to install a world ruled by priests and popes.

Cuz when we think about it, not so long ago it was prtty much like this. Teachers were nuns, spanking kids if they had bad thoughts and art was censored - for instance Henry Miller's novels have been banned for over 20 years and he had to exil to Europe to be published.

This wasn't so long ago, less than 50 years, so now we're in this sexual revolution, which appear very stupid and often exploitive towards certain people and many are victims of that unfortunately, but if it takes this to (I hope) one day arrive to a point where we're liberated from censorship and that sex won't be seen as a satanic or shameful thing neither as something abusive and exploitive, then that's how it is.

In the sixties during the sex (and peace, love, everything) revolution it was done with way more class and respect than what it is now in our consumers society... hope once we're free from this obsession of power and money sex will come back to a more natural and beautiful thing like it was in the sixties.

I agree with you IYM. I should mention that i am by NO DEFINITION a prude and i think sex and sexuality are awesome, beautiful and fun things. i think sex should be more prevelant in our culture (at least in the U.S.). Sex should be openly discussed and not be so taboo. I think a lot of things in this country would improve if people weren't so scared of sex. but it shouldn't be used in this way. This wasn't an expression of anything other than a means to a shock factor.

and i understand that the commercial was obviously directed at the guys who typically watch the superbowl, but peta stands for what again? People for the what? oh yeah -- ETHICAL treatment of animals. A group founded on principles of ethics, should, in fact, be ethical enough to rise above the stupid beer commercials that run during the game and make a decent fucking commercial that doesnt resort to smut especially since they are not selling alcohol to a bunch of rowdy guys, but theyre trying to sell the idea of a lifestyle change. forgive me if i'm mistaken, but thats a huge difference and they really should start smaller than the god damn superbowl if theyre gonna be doing commercials.

again, i'm all for sexuality and those were very beautiful and sexy women. but it was pointless and in fact--counter productive to the cause. as usual for peta.

This is ridiculous. I hate PETA with a burning passion.

I have read about this ad on general boards. The general feeling is (1) PETA never intended for the ad to be aired as they could not afford a spot during the Super Bowl and instead purposefully made an ad that would be rejected so that they would get publicity from the rejection and (2) PETA sucks.

One person actually said "the more I learn about PETA the more I hate the animal rights movement in general" and many other people expressed similar opinions. There was not a single positive comment about PETA on there.

This so irresponsible of PETA that it seriously makes me furious. They cause meat-eaters to hate them and to then hate anything animal-rights, vegan, or veggie related. I literally have never, ever read a positive comment from a non-veggie about PETA and have read many incredibly negative comments about them.

What is this supposed to be doing for our cause? It's hindering it! And no, I do not for a second buy that BS about how getting attention is a positive thing, even if that attention is strongly negative. It's not. It's a bad thing.

Now, I agree that PETA does some good things, like informational videos. But that doesn't excuse the BS they continue to keep pulling and their contribution to giving all of us a bad name.

I agree 100%, Dani. Some of the things PETA does show that they can actually be clever in promoting veganism and animal rights, but something like half of their ads and protests involve naked or barely-clothed women. What the fuck does that have to do with why it's not okay to eat animals? I guess if they were an equal-opportunity displayer of flesh and showed cute guys in various states of undress just as much as women, they'd at least be guilty of nothing worse than trying to get people to mindlessly associate their message with something positive. But when it's overwhelmingly women that they show, all it is is capitalizing on--and reinforcing--our society's blatant sexism. Advocate against exploiting animals by exploiting women? What a fucked up approach!

And I agree with you too, Dani - eventhough that's not what my first post reflected.

Thing is, I'm against censorship and I love free expression, sexual or not; I think a woman or man has the right to walk naked in the street if this is what this persons wants. But I think there's stupid ways (like this Peta ad) and intelligent ways. It seems to me it's not very respectful towards women in general and ads like this show some stupid human behavior. But I prefer to live in a society where sexuality is not seen as a bad thing and I don't like at all those republican religious fanatics who wants to take over the world with the word "indecency" on all their lips and who denounce every inch of naked skin as if it was the manifestation of Satan himself.

Maybe the use of sex in medias and the over sexualization of women - and men - is a way to (unconsciously) rebel against those who still wish to install a world ruled by priests and popes.

The trouble is, if it's only women who are shown in this way--as is certainly the case with PETA--it's not a rebellion against anything. It's completely mainstream to sexualize and objectify women (but not men), and has been since even before the sexual revolution of the '60s. I'm teaching a class in human sexuality this semester, so I'm certainly no prude, but I think that this ad not only doesn't help either animals or women, it's actively harmful to both animal rights and women's rights.

A group founded on principles of ethics, should, in fact, be ethical enough to rise above the stupid beer commercials that run during the game and make a decent fucking commercial that doesnt resort to smut especially since they are not selling alcohol to a bunch of rowdy guys.

Maybe if you put your foot in your mouth and really thought about the principle of "target demographic" for American NFL fans, you'd see the glass as half full instead of half empty.

Target demographic? is that what they were doing? Gee-willikers i hadn't even thought of that! Well then i guess its just fine then!

hardly. there was nothing about that ad that was gonna make people-be them intelligent and collected, or hollering and wasted-want to be a vegetarian. it was stupid. it was exploitive. it was just a way to get a whole bunch of unnecessary negative attention from about 90% of angles.

if you feel differently, that is fine. but unfortunately the few people who will agree with you are men who are interested in tits and ass, not vegetarianism and as far as i can see--thats not the message peta was "trying" to convey. so the ad is moot.

A group founded on principles of ethics, should, in fact, be ethical enough to rise above the stupid beer commercials that run during the game and make a decent fucking commercial that doesnt resort to smut especially since they are not selling alcohol to a bunch of rowdy guys.

Maybe if you put your foot in your mouth and really thought about the principle of "target demographic" for American NFL fans, you'd see the glass as half full instead of half empty.

You are making unfair insult to Dani, yet there are things you don't know and thinking you haven't done about the subject.

PETA didn't make the ad with the intent of getting it on the air and having it persuade superbowl viewers to give up meat.

I've been a vegetarian for about 29 years and vegan for about 14 years. Everything I have ever read about who most veg*ns are and who is most likely to go veg*n has said that particular demographic tends to be women in their late teens to early twenties. Hardly the typical Superbowl viewer. PETA knows that.

NBC offered to run the PETA commercial, asking for only some minor changes. PETA didn't take the offer. Aside from money as an issue, PETA makes controversial commercials for the superbowl every year with the intent of the commercial getting rejected.

They do that so people see the commercial anyway as a result of the controversy without PETA having to pay to run it, as well as getting a lot of free publicity in the mix.

One other thing that makes an obvious case for the ad just being a publicity stunt -

Based on what I've heard it costs to run an ad during the Superbowl, it would pretty well blow PETA's entire yearly budget just to have a 15-second spot run during the game (that is, IF their budget would even cover that much airtime). Obviously, even if it WAS something they wanted to do, they couldn't afford it. So, this just goes to show again that they don't have any intention of actually running the ad during the game, rather, they just want the free publicity by making something that's just beyond the limits of what is acceptable for airplay, then they reap the rewards of all the free exposure that it gives them.

So, to anyone who does seem to think that they have any intention of actually reaching the Superbowl audience, it becomes pretty obvious that it isn't their plan at all. It's actually a very clever way to get free exposure, but unfortunately, I can't support their tactics on these kinds of stupid shock-value campaigns. Too bad when the group with the most money chooses to waste it on things that end up hurting the movement more than they help, when there's so much necessary work to be done.

If anything, PETA is an interesting study in the world of public relations and how to get the most coverage for the least actual money spent. I'm just surprised that these things still make the news over and over again, since it's just the same old schtick in different packaging year after year.

Actually the COK.net mtv ads work wonders for converting the youngin's to veg*n, without any boobs, ass, etc., (meow).

What a waste of money.

I think the best ad would be:

Picture of burger, greasy.

Remember me?

Still roting in your colon.

Picture of cute cow (they are all cute, start with close up on eyes).

Remember me?

I'm roting in your colon.

Picture of Ground cow (aka beef).

Remember me?

My existence has destroyed the rainforest

Then list the stats (top soil erosion, etc.)

Go Veg.

For Health. For Animals. The Planet.

And yo ass!

Jeesh! (Yeah, keep that in the ad).

Actually, it should be adjusted for birds. So many people think cows are meat, but birds are plant based. And fish, they're just non-existent, not beings in the first place. Weird. I don't get mad at people like this, I'm too stunned to have any emotions except like a dog trying to remove water from my ears.

There's was a vegan tasting with all kinds of the veg sausage and everything. This guy says, " what's in that?" I said, "Plants, nothing too weird about that" and "You wouldn't want to know what's in meat sausage"

That's ass you're eating!