Octopussoir's '09-'10 BB'ing Competitions

Hello,

Sorry for posting this publicly, but I was "not permitted" to email you directly via this site. I am a physician at a large cancer center in Houston who is interested in researching improvements in chemotherapy and radiation side effects as well as cancer recurrence rates in patients that we have treated.

I know any conversation about optimal diet is extremely controversial. However, I came across a recent article in Newsweek that mentioned how individuals who are members of a Calorie Restriction Society have globally reduced markers of inflammation, though surprisingly with the exception of IGF-1. [iGF-1 (Insulin Like Growth Factor) is increasingly being shown to be responsible not just in cancer formation, but in the recurrence of cancers after treatment]. The reason that these dieters did not have lower IGF-1 was determined to be due to a higher % consumption of protein (about 25%) in their diet. Of note, none of these patients were vegetarian.

The researcher, Dr. Luigi Fontana, looked a little further and found that vegans with approx 10% protein intake did not have elevated IGF-1. He then had some of his original patients reduce their protein intake to 10%, and found that they too had reductions in IGF-1.

He however, did not look at the difference between animal vs vegetable protein. T Colin Campbell has looked at this in mice (as documented in the China Study), but no one has looked at this in humans. From the conversations in this forum, I see that many vegan bodybuilders eat about 20-25% protein, though all of vegetable source. I would be willing to bet that you guys also had as low levels of IGF-1 (and other inflammatory markers) as those vegans who eat 10% protein.

If I can convince Dr. Fontana of the intellectual benefit of this question, would you and your fellow colleagues be willing to have your blood serum tested? It may provide the necessary data for me to get approval to study animal protein free diets for my cancer patients.

Please let me know at your earliest. If you email me via the site, I can send you a private email address. I can also email you the above mentioned study as well.

Thanks,

This is actually a legit request from what I can tell. I will PM Robert as I believe that is who he's making his request to.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

Sorry for posting this publicly, but I was "not permitted" to email you directly via this site. I am a physician at a large cancer center in Houston who is interested in researching improvements in chemotherapy and radiation side effects as well as cancer recurrence rates in patients that we have treated.

I know any conversation about optimal diet is extremely controversial. However, I came across a recent article in Newsweek that mentioned how individuals who are members of a Calorie Restriction Society have globally reduced markers of inflammation, though surprisingly with the exception of IGF-1. [iGF-1 (Insulin Like Growth Factor) is increasingly being shown to be responsible not just in cancer formation, but in the recurrence of cancers after treatment]. The reason that these dieters did not have lower IGF-1 was determined to be due to a higher % consumption of protein (about 25%) in their diet. Of note, none of these patients were vegetarian.

The researcher, Dr. Luigi Fontana, looked a little further and found that vegans with approx 10% protein intake did not have elevated IGF-1. He then had some of his original patients reduce their protein intake to 10%, and found that they too had reductions in IGF-1.

He however, did not look at the difference between animal vs vegetable protein. T Colin Campbell has looked at this in mice (as documented in the China Study), but no one has looked at this in humans. From the conversations in this forum, I see that many vegan bodybuilders eat about 20-25% protein, though all of vegetable source. I would be willing to bet that you guys also had as low levels of IGF-1 (and other inflammatory markers) as those vegans who eat 10% protein.

If I can convince Dr. Fontana of the intellectual benefit of this question, would you and your fellow colleagues be willing to have your blood serum tested? It may provide the necessary data for me to get approval to study animal protein free diets for my cancer patients.

Please let me know at your earliest. If you email me via the site, I can send you a private email address. I can also email you the above mentioned study as well.

Thanks,

This sounds awesome, get giacomo and do it

Yes, this is a legitimate request. Looking at blood markers of inflammation in those who have high protein intakes of only vegetable proteins can answer some very important questions, and may save countless lives in the future. I understand Robert is competing this weekend, so I will contact him later. If this research is going to be successful, we will need cooperation from a large number of vegan bodybuilders...

Link to the Newsweek article that got me thinking about this in the first place. Please pay attention to the section about Calorie Restricted Dieters and IGF-1.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172561

Link to the Pubmed version of Dr. Fontana's study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18843793?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Thanks!

Its really stressful on my end now. Money is scarce, food is scarce... the bright side of things i guess it will keep me low calorie this week and next. I just hope I can keep everything up until the comp. Here are some pics I took during my posing last night:

http://i41.tinypic.com/r8cgma.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/33kx0uh.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2m4tw90.jpg

Edited by Octopussoir

For some reason I cannot edit my original post to change it to 9 days left.. Think the update might have had an effect.

It seems like my workouts arent that extreme due to my lower calories and problems in both elbows and left knee. Im still hitting it as hard as I can. I did 45min on stair stepper this morning and went to another posing class. The coach said I had all the poses down and even had us pose with our eyes closed. It was pretty fun. I have lots more confidence in myself now. The darker I get the better I look and the happier I am. I hope all the people in Phoenix that come out to see us cheer us on from the beginning. The more people cheer for me the more I smile. Im still workin on the smiling part. Today was night routine and smiling practice as well as the mandatories. I cant wait to pump up and get on stage now.

My weight is 177lbs and will try to maintain it until next week. Im not going to dehydrate as much as Giacomo though. Dont believe Ill get close to the 160's. As long as im below 176 & 1/4 im good.

Ill workout out at home tonight and will do some cardio too. Man im so hungry!!!!!!

Here are a couple teaser pics from my first posing class from Tues

http://i43.tinypic.com/25konjd.jpg http://i44.tinypic.com/syp3jd.jpg

Tonight I did midnight cardio for 1 hour. am hyped up right now but am tired too. might drink a Sun Warrior shake and then hit the sack. Its Healthy Kids Day tomorrow at a certain place so I have to be up early to take my kid.

I found out today that a tooth that had a filling bust out late last year needs a root canal and a crown...fun fun. It will have to wait until I can manage to get my hands on $1600. They tried to schedule me an appointment for next week and I was like look dude, I have a competition to go to. It can wait. Ive lived with it this long it can go a little longer.

Ive lived with it this long it can go a little longer.

yeah it should be fine if you wait a little longer. I waited a really long time before seeing a dentist. Where at times I would wake up in the middle of the night just in sacrewshating pain. My jaw with throbbing. I couldn't drink hot or cold things. I think that's one of the worst pain I ever went through.

It hurt so much !

I'm glad that you're not at that stage.

And just recently When I got back home. My dentist went over my x-rays. He thought I needed three root canals lol. But it turns out that I don't have to get any..

Only fillings but enough work that would of coasted me over $3000. So freaking expensive. I'm so lucky that I'm covered.

Anyways I'm glad you're getting it fixed Have you ever had a root canal before ? It's not that bad. Your jaw just hurts after from having it to be open for a few hrs.

Anyways I'm glad you're getting it fixed ;) Have you ever had a root canal before ? It's not that bad. Your jaw just hurts after from having it to be open for a few hrs.

I never stated that I am getting it fixed. All my life Ive always had to wait "until..." until it gets so bad its unbearable. Maybe I should make a trip to canada so I can be covered under the universal health care. Thanks for being concerned.

Yest was the day I dropped my carbs to 25g. I tried to go out and play soccer with a couple people and man I couldnt even run after the ball. I felt zapped! Still do. I do HAVE to workout today. I woke up at 175lbs without diuretics. Not sure what I should take if any. Just thought about dandelion root(liquid). Seems like it all gets pretty expensive at 13 dollars a bottle. 6 days and counting. I have my routine, music and attitude to walk out on stage and be a champ!!

Thank you to all that have commented on my physique I really do appreciate the feedback

Anyways I'm glad you're getting it fixed ;) Have you ever had a root canal before ? It's not that bad. Your jaw just hurts after from having it to be open for a few hrs.

I never stated that I am getting it fixed. All my life Ive always had to wait "until..." until it gets so bad its unbearable. Maybe I should make a trip to canada so I can be covered under the universal health care. Thanks for being concerned.

Aw crappy I'm truly sorry Jimi. It hurts like hell when I was in that state. I couldn't function at work and I got terrible migraines all the time. I sersiously would rather gotten S##T kicked in the face, then having to go through that pain again.

I was scared when I popped out the tooth recently when I was in Portland.. I'm oh god here we go again. But my mom told me that tooth was dead because it already had a root canal on it.

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky, although that's what my sergery here would of coasted ($3500). But I'm covered because of my mom's boss is my dentist.

I'll trade ya ? If I could live in the US, you can have my dental plan... Pretty good deal ?