Octopussoir's '09-'10 BB'ing Competitions

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bunch of us on here use NO Explode.

"Actual creatine?" You mean from red meat used in a powder product? I doubt it....contamination risks, etc...my dad works as a scientist and thinks it's too risky....I think it's fine, lab made stuff. I've called companies before to learn where they source there ingredients so that is always an option if you are worried about any product.

I think the confusion comes in because red meat is high in creatine, and a lot of folks use that as a reason for eating red meat. I have not checked No Explode specifically, but I have checked a few sources for information on how creatine monohydrate is made, and have yet to find any animal products.

Did some leggers today.

Leg press:

2Plates(each side)x5x4sets

5px5x5sets

4px5x4sets

3px5x4sets

2px5x3sets

1px10x3sets

walking lunges:

10lbx 10-11steps and 11 steps back... 21-22steps total on all sets. single pump on the way up and double pump back

30lbx10-11" "

50lbx10-11" "

65lbX10-11" "

70lbX10-11" "

I tried to do some leg xtn, but my head was hurting from the 70's and I got on the treadmill for 1/2mile(walk/run)

Today 184lbs:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hgbbcp.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/30le5jp.jpg

Did a little bit of chest today in the time alotted. Could only do 275lbs decline for a few times. Made me mad cause my elbow got in the way. Videos will be uploaded later to youtube

Edited by Octopussoir

"N.O.-XPLODE™ is BSN’s #1 selling extreme pre-training energy and performance igniter. From the very first serving you will experience elevated physical and mental energy, muscle-expanding pumps, unparalleled strength and stamina; not to mention tunnel-vision like mental focus...you will experience a level of training intensity that you never thought was imaginable, getting you physically and mentally dialed in for the training session that lies before you..."

BSN's NO-Xplode is one of the most popular pre-workout supplements on the market. NO-Xplode is an an "all-in-one" product: it's formulated to provide nitric oxide, creatine, electrolyte replenishment/hydration, and—most importantly—a workout boost, simultaneously.

According to the ads, with NO-Xplode, you'll get:

Training energy, motivation and intensity

Mental alertness and focus

Muscle fullness, vascularity and pumps

Strength, power, endurance and work capacity

Resistance to muscular fatigue

Healthy nitric oxide (NO) levels; blood flow and delivery of oxygen and nutrients to muscle tissue

Can a single product fulfill all of those promises? A look at the ingredients will tell us more.

NO-Xplode Proprietary Blend: 18,000 mg:

N.O. Meta-Fusion™: L-Arginine AKG, L-Citrulline Malate, RC-NOS™ (Rutacarpine 95%), L-Citrulline AKG, L-Histidine AKG, NAD (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide),Gynostemma Pentaphyllum (Leaves & Stem) (Gypenosides 95%)

AVPT (Advanced Volumizing & Performance Technology): Modified Glucose Polymers (Maltodextrin), Di-Creatine Malate, Trimethylglycine, Creatine Ethyl Ester-Beta-Alanine Dual Action Composite (CarnoSyn®), Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Creatine Phosphate Matrix, Creatinol-O-Phosphate-Malic Acid Interfusion, Glycocyamine, Guanidino Proplonic Acid, Cinnulin PF® (Aqueous Cinnamon Extract) (Bark), Ketoisocaproate Potassium, Creatine ABB (Creatine Alpha-Amino-N-Butyrate)

Ener-Tropic Xplosion™: L-Tyrosine, Taurine, Glucuronolactone, Methylxanthine (Caffeine), L-Tyrosine AKG, MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides) [Coconut], Common Periwinkle Vinpocetine 99%, Vincamine 99%, Vinburnine 99% (Whole Plant)

Phospho-Electrolyte Replacements™: Di-Calcium Phosphate, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Di-Sodium Phosphate

Glycerol Hydrating Polymers™: Potassium Glycerophosphate, Magnesium Glycerophosphate, Glycerol Stearate

The formula in NO-Xplode is a proprietary blend, made up of 5 individual sub-blends...with a lot of different ingredients. So bear with me, as we dissect them, one by one:

1. N.O. Meta-Fusion: Arginine AKG (alpha ketoglutarate) is a standard ingredient in nitric oxide supplements. As noted by Paul in his reviews of nitric oxide and NO supplements, nitric oxide (NO) is synthesized from arginine. NO relaxes blood vessels (vasodilation) and increases blood flow—which is felt as a "pump" in the muscles being worked. According to recent research, it's doubtful that this makes any real contribution to lean mass gains, but it does feel good (which counts for a lot in the gym) and may contribute to strength gains. Citrulline is also used by the body to produce arginine, and may promote aerobic energy production during exercise.

The remaining compounds in the N.O. Meta-Fusion blend are "iffy"—that is, there is some abstract, theoretical support for their inclusion, but no genuine human data to show that they will do anything to improve nitric oxide synthesis when taken orally.

2. AVPT (Advanced Volumizing & Performance Technology): Although maltodextrin is the first ingredient, it's the array of creatines and creatine metabolites/analogs that forms the core of this blend. These are: di-creatine malate, creatine ethyl ester (CEE), sodium creatine phosphate, creatinol-o-phosphate, glycocyamine, guanidino propionic acid and "Creatine ABB."

Di-creatine malate is an alternative creatine that's used in a number of supplements, such as iSatori Morph and Controlled Labs' Green Magnitude. There are no published studies on it, although—based on user feedback—it appears to be a viable substitute for creatine monohydrate.

Creatine ethyl ester (CEE) is a topic that deserves a review of its own. Suffice it to say, that CEE has never been compared to creatine monohydrate in any human or animal test.

In addition, experiments in a model system suggest it's less stable in stomach acid.

It's paired with beta-alanine, which is one-half of the dipeptide carnosine (beta-alanyl-l-histidine).

Carnosine is a naturally-occurring metabolite which—among other functions—helps to buffer hydrogen ions produced during intense muscular contractions.

Sodium creatine phosphate is simply the sodium salt of "phosphocreatine." It's been used experimentally as an alternative to creatine monohydrate, but once again—there's no real indication that it's a superior form.

Creatinol-o-phosphate was covered extensively in the Aplodan review. Briefly, it's a creatine analog that can serve as a) a source of creatine; b) a source of phosphate for regenerating phosphocreatine; and/or c) an alternate phosphogen for ATP production.

Glycocyamine is, in fact, a precursor to creatine; however, there is no data supporting its use in a supplement already containing creatine. While BSN claims it supports natural creatine production, it's highly unlikely that there will be any additive effects, or any overall benefit from utilizing this particular pathway. Glycocyamine also increases homocysteine, a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. The trimethylglycine conceivably counters this, but there would be little need for it if the glycocyamine wasn't included.

Ditto the guanidinopropionic acid. BSN states, correctly, that it's an analog of creatine and increases insulin sensitivity... in animal experiments, that is. What they don't state is that it also inhibits creatine uptake—which makes it an odd ingredient to add to a creatine blend.

Creatine alpha-amino-n-butyrate is a combination of creatine + a leucine analog. According to one patent application, alpha-amino-n-butyrate possesses anticatabolic properties, but this is purely theoretical, and has never been tested in animals, let alone humans. It may be a moot point, however, as it's the last ingredient in the blend...so is likely to be "label decoration" (i.e., present in an amount too small to be useful).

Cinnulin PF® is a cinnamon extract made by Integrity Nutraceuticals International. In a recent clinical study, subjects with prediabetes who took 500 mg/day for 12 weeks experienced modest, but statistically significant improvements in fasting blood glucose, blood pressure, and lean body mass. The dose included in NO-Xplode, however, is unknown—so it's difficult to speculate on potential effects.

Ketoisocaproate (KIC) is a breakdown product of leucine, and has anticatabolic activity. Once again, however, dose is all important—and this is information that BSN does not provide. In general, multi-gram doses would be needed for it to be effective, assuming that it's effective at all.

3. Ener-Tropic Xplosion: With the exception of the MCTs (medium chain triglycerides), the ingredients in this blend are all known to have some effects on mood, energy, and cognition. Taurine, glucuronolactone and caffeine are familar ingredients to "Red Bull" drinkers. Tyrosine is a precursor to stimulatory neurotransmitters (epinephrine, norepinephrine and dopamine). Vinpocetine, vincamine, and vinburnine are alkaloids derived from periwinkle that affect cerebral blood flow, memory and learning.

4. Phospho-Electrolyte Replacements: There's not too much to say about these ingredients...sodium, potassium, phosphate and calcium are electrolytes, and anyone who works out hard and sweats a lot needs to replenish these.

5. Glycerol Hydrating Polymers: Glycerol has legitimate uses in sports nutrition for "hyperhydration," but a typical dose is approx. 1 g/kg. It is highly unlikely that there is a sufficient amount of glycerol in NO-Xplode to provide any meaningful effects.

Looking at the ingredients, it basically comes down to two components: the N.O. Meta-Fusion and Ener-Tropic Xplosion blends...and when you look at the user comments, this is exactly what leaps out. To put it plainly, people use this supplement for a) the pump; and b) the increase in focus and concentration they get with it.

This is exactly what I got from NO-Xplode when I trialed it too. The "Orange" flavor I bought was slightly effervescent and "chemically" tasting, but wasn't too hard to get down (I used two scoops). The effects were comparable to some other combined NO/stimulant products I've tried—which is a good thing.

The one thing I like about this class of supplements, is that I can take a pounding in the gym, yet not feel particularly fatigued as the workout progresses, nor wiped out afterwards. The stimulant effects were "smooth," with no crashing as the effects wore off. Pumps were noticeable, especially after bi/tri exercises. I certainly felt as if my workouts were "dialed in" and could feel—and even see—the additional muscle hardness, which was very reinforcing.

Thus, I'd say NO-Xplode does a pretty good job of meeting its promises...although there are a few negatives too. I feel it's unnecessarily complicated: it contains some ingredients that are obviously irrelevant (such as the MCTs and guanidinopropionic acid) and/or redundant (multiple forms of creatine).

In addition, the fact that it's a proprietary blend leaves open the possibility that certain ingredients are underdosed and are merely "label decoration." It's not a cheap supplement, and for someone on a budget, every ingredient should count.

Nonetheless, I liked NO-Xplode and generally agree with Paul's assessment that supplements of this type are a worthwhile addition to a supplement regime.

Okay, not too bad right... This was the article that killed it for me, that and the fact I wasnt clear if it was "vegan safe". Just decided it was a no go.

Have you tried creatine and didn't get the massive muscle gains you expected? Has powdered creatine upset your stomach, given you diarrhea, etc? The most likely reson for this is that stomach acid destroys creatine, it has been estimated that as much as 66% of the creatine you take is never absorbed. So, once creatine hits the acid in your stomach, the amount that is getting to your muscles is a lot less then you think you are getting.

The biggest problem with creatine monohydrate has been, to be effective, it must first get into muscle. To do this it must pass through the stomach, enter the bloodstream, and be taken up by the muscle cell.

Many have tryed to get around this problem by taking mega-doses of creatine. They took too much, thinking that if a little bit was good then a lot would be better. These high doses do not translate into higher creatine levels in your muscle. Instead, they may be the very cause of the side effects, including intestinal cramping, diarrhea, increased urination, and dehydration. When these high doses of powder enter the stomach they draw water from the body, causing the intestines to contract.

Next people mixed their creatine with grape juice to try to get better results, but since juice is also acidic it destroys some of the creatine. Companies have attempted to develop new ways to deliver creatine to the body, such as adding sugar, which enters the blood stream faster than any other carbohydrate. Insulin drives creatine from the blood into the muscle. In order to get insulin levels up you must eat some carbohydrates. However, this stimulates stomach acid which destroys the creatine. Plus the super high amounts of sugar used by some companies can add unwanted fat to your waist line.

The problem is that all creatine powders and even liquids must pass through stomach acid and lose most of their potency and lead to unwanted side affects, stomach aches, etc. Plus some of them have as much as 75 grams of sugar per dose, that much sugar can lead to health problems and getting fat.

When creatine supplements were tested after activation with fluid, a disturbing discovery was made. It was found that almost immediately after adding water to creatine monohydrate that the majority of it rapidly converted to the toxic by-product creatinine. This held true no matter how "unique" the formulation was claimed to be, or the purity of the assayed dry creatine content.

In the past, some companies pointed to the virtual lack of creatinine in their powders, calling them "creatinine free". What was not considered is that the tests were conducted with dry creatine monohydrate. Once fluid is introduced, creatinine conversion occurs.

A number of negative side-effects can arise from increased creatinine levels, among them; stomach cramps and bloating, diarrhea, indemia, water retention, dehydration, headaches, liver and kidney problems and creatinine poisoning. These side-effects are caused by the body's internal self-defense mechanism reacting to save itself from the ingested toxins by diluting it with water.

Oh yeah beeteedubs... you look good.

What's up Dr. SWOL?

Dude, pressing some heavy weight...had an exhausting posing class today....flexed really hard!

2 weeks out and I really think I can be in my best ever shape! I'm 185-189 during the day...haven't seen myself under 185.5 in weeks and in 2 weeks need to be 175 or under, maybe even 172 or so......lots of work ahead of me in 13 days!

All the best to you as you get ready to compete too!

Let's talk soon...I have some ideas, etc. from a posing standpoint...keeping your body more up and down, a bit taller and displaying more rather than some crouching I've seen in some photos....again, I'm not necessarily an expert, but I'm learning more and want to pass some posing stuff along as I look back at our photos and see you sitting a little to low on side and back poses.

You're looking really good lately man....just keep posing everyday...I'll do the same. I hadn't practiced in 2 weeks and my coach called me out on my sloppy performance today and there were like 15 people watching....then I worked on it off in the corner and an hour later at the end of class he shouted, "Vegan...that was the best turn I've seen you make all day!" also in front of the class....so just keep working on posing...it can make a huge difference. Probably why I placed ahead of Giacomo...I think his physique was slightly better but my presentation was better...one of the top judges in the country gave us a talk about that today...how presentation can often leave you placing ahead of people with better physiques...it's all about how you present it and show it.

YB.

Will try to remember to find the links.. I do have a life you know. An di know I took it, this is why I stopped fool!!!! Needless to say theres more positive for it than negetive, but too much negetive for my tastes, mostly justwasnt sure if it was vegan so got out..

^^^ where did you pull this garbage? Post the source if you have quotes. And dont even act like youve never taken NO XPLODE cause you have, skillet!

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... my pictures are always the same pose, but hell it my best one so its what you get!

http://i42.tinypic.com/s4p9gx.jpg

Today I did a little bit of upper. Nothin too fancy, just enough to get pumped all over. My pec didnt hurt and I put up 95's on incline for a set of 10 and 8...cause the 100's were busy. I gonna do heavy back tomorrow and prolly lil bit of tri's. I get tired of doing isolation exercises for my arms and have been neglecting them lately. I have only 47days until my next comp.

I did some squats today on Smith machine because someone was hogging the squat rack.

I would have waited, because only losers squat in a smith, and you're not a loser.

Edited to Add: I didn't see the whole mess in the squat thread when I read this. You know I'm just teasing you and that I think you're an awesome dude. Just felt the need to put that out there. Peace.

Today was chest day. Had the Underarmor shirt and elbow sleeve on.

Started with some cable flyes and presses:

30x10/2sets

40x10/2sets

50x10/2sets

60x10/2sets

Incline DB flyes:

20x15

40x10

50x8

Decline BB:

135x10

185x5

205x5

225x5

250x5

275x5

305x3(spot... last one he barely finger bumped)

225x5

Flat BB:

135x10

205x5

225x5

250x5

275x4

300x2 (spot... got the first one by myself.)

250x3

225x5

Incline DB:

80x10

100x6

85x5

80x6

Pullups 3 sets of 10reps(different angles).

I did some machine chest press and machine flyes and about 80-100 pushups. Everything took about 2 hours. Wanted to go heavy so I rested more in between sets. Someone so kindly lent me their thick elbow wraps so I could attempt the last set on BB decline and flat. Thank You Bob!

I wish I could be as strong as Robert Cheeke when it comes to benching!

Tonight will be cardio and some leg xtns

I wish I could be as strong as RC when it comes to benching... Id be swol, heck I wouldnt even need implants then. Glad you're lifiting heavy and the elbow is hanging in, mines doing alright I think... Loved the switch on the pushups yesterday. Thank you.

Lol I have 46 written in marker on my hand..

Do you know where you are staying yet? I am tired of hearing "I don't know" from men that don't like to make plans. I was thinking might come to watch.

I certainly hope you come watch. Lol I dont make plans either well! Lol. Either my sisters, or a range of like 4 or 5 different friends in the area.

Do you have my cell #?