alternatives to ibuprofen?

dontxhide

Are there any good vegan alternatives to ibuprofen?

I tweak my shoulder during PT sometimes. Normally it goes away after a day of ice and ibuprofen. Sometimes, like this time, my pain lasts a bit longer (so far a week). But because I have been taking ibuprofen on and off since my injury I feel that it's not working any longer. Not just that, lately I've been feeling not to hot while taking the pills, then when I stop I feel much better. The pain doesn't seem to go away like it used too, I get all headachey, and my vision gets a bit blurry. All signs that ibuprofen isn't that good for me anymore or that I took so much I've kinda overdozed maybe?

This is just for my shoulder. So if anyone knows any great creams I can put on there to help reduce swelling and pain I'm all ears. I would be open to pills also.

I can't comment on herbal alternatives if you're looking for tried and tested anti-inflammatory products, but I can tell you that there are a couple of alternatives to oral ibuprofen you might be able to use. You could try another member of the NSAID family, such as naproxen (e.g. Aleve, Naprosyn) and see if you tolerate it better. There are also topical NSAIDs available, though they're typically used for arthritis pain (such as Pennsaid and Voltaren). Availability/need for a prescription for these varies depending on where you live (naproxen is over the counter in some countries, but not in others).

Headaches and blurred vision are really quite disconcerting, so I'm obliged to say that you should get that checked out.

Medman.

Thank you! I know I should get it checked out but I lack health insurance. My PT doctors are amazing and have stopped makng me pay out of pocket. There letting me do it for free. My orthopedic surgeon for my shoulder is also doing check ups for 50% off.

But because I dont have health insurance I really can't afford to go to a regular doctor for things like this.

Today is the first day in a week or two that I haven't taken ibuprofen so hopefully after a couple more days if everything subsides I think I'll be fine.

Don't get me started on the American medical system. I'm really glad you've found some doctors who try to work with your circumstances, though. Do you feel lightheaded when you get up from a sitting or lying down position? Have you been careful about staying under the maximum daily dosage?

It's a good thing you're stopping the ibuprofen - if your symptoms don't disappear over the next little while, that will be more cause for concern. Like sydneyvegan said, one of the topical NSAIDs might work better for you - and topical forms of drugs generally have milder side effects than oral (systemic) ones.

A vegan friend of mine offered me some arnica gel for pain to use topically (from a bad bruise on my shin when I got in a bike accident last summer). Apparently it's homeopathic and vegan... I kinda had doubts but tried it and amazingly the pain went away completely within hours and the bruise almost completely disappeared overnight. Maybe it worked or maybe it was coincidence or the placebo effect but either way I bought my own tube and luckily have had no need for it again since.

Thanks for all your help!

Sydney: I didnt find any voltaren at the stores I went too I talked to a chemist and they told me toget some arthritis cream, which has helped a bit.

I also replaced ibuprofen with some fake Aleve (not the real kind, the generic kind). The doctor said I should also take tylenol also since they both take care of inflammation and pain different ways.

With ice so far I have had the msot relative pain free day in a couple of weeks. We wil see as the day goes by if it still works or not.

Medman: After stopping ibuprofen my eyes have stopped hurting and I feel a bit better!

Jessifly: Arnica is wonderful. On all the little aches and sprain and bruises I get disappear (sp?) after I rub that on. But it has never worked on my shoulder. I think its just too big an injury to something.

Glad to hear you're feeling better! Tylenol will help with the pain, but not with the inflammation in the way that NSAIDs will.

Your generic Aleve is just naproxen, the exact same thing without the box or price tag (man I hate pharmacoeconomics). It acts in a very similar manner to ibuprofen, but if your reactions were specific to ibuprofen, you might avoid them with this one. I hope it continues to provide you with some relief!

The voltaren/other topical NSAIDs are the same thing, just taken in a different form. I wouldn't worry about trying it if your oral naproxen is doing the trick. It would just be something to keep in mind if you start developing side effects from what you're taking now.