NYC

• 2 weeks later...

Tons of good vegan restaurants. Candle Cafe, Candle 79. Blossom, Organic Grill are my favorite. There is a whole book on being vegan in NYC.The Vegan Guide to New York City-2009 by Ryan Berry. It is only a few $'s. I get it every year. You can get it online at major retailers like Barnes and Nobles. It gives reviews of vegan restaurants by neighborhood so wherever you are you can find something vegan close. It doesn't include restaurants that are mainstream dining that have vegan options though.

This bus tour with the open air bus. was areally nice way to see the city and you can get off at different locations and get back on the mext bus that comes along.

I'm originally form Long Island but that was over 36 years ago, But a couple of years ago I took my whole family back to see my Dad and we had a great time stopping to take the horse drawn carriage in Central Park, going to the top of the Empire State Building, Time Square, and all the upscale shopping around Rockefella Center. And that was all in one day using that bus tour. Even still our youngest Grandkids remember that day.

https://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&SEE=1&productId=1053

And the main site:

http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

• 2 weeks later...

As Mary Stella states there are plenty of good vegan (and vegetarian restaurants with vegan options) in the city. The Vegan Guide to NYC is a good book to get to start you on your way. In terms of the city layout and vegan options, the East Village in particular has the largest concentration of vegan options followed by the West Village. These options run the gamut from somewhat pricey to down-right cheap and delicious (check out NYC Dosa cart, run by Thiru Kumar, on Washington Square South. Amazing!)

There's also 'snice, in the West Village, Caravan of Dreams and Quintessence in the East Village, and a host of others. You'll have no problem eating vegan here! And remember that there are plenty of vegetarian and macrobiotic restaurants that have plenty of vegan options.

In terms of things to do? Well, it's NYC and there's no shortage of stuff to do! Life here is about being on the street. Literally. Aside from the usual things one would do in any place one is visiting (i.e. museums, tourist destinations, parks, historical sites, etc.) I would opt, if you have the time and inclination to check out Shorewalkers (they walk all over the city and even have a walk around the entire perimeter of Manhattan---it's awesome! NY Kayak----you can rent a kayak and take to the Hudson River for an hour or a day. And check out walking across some or all of the bridges in the city. Take a ferry to Governor's Island to see some great city views (probably the best views of Lower Manhattan along with the Brooklyn Promenade and riding the Staten Island Ferry).

I'm getting little carried away here, sorry. But I love NYC and after living here for 20 years I can tell you there is no shortage of things to do. Feel free to contact me (or post here) for any specific information. Happy to help you out!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...