What is wrong with joaquin phoenix

RAINRA

seems more like a midlife crisis. When he said he was quitting acting ... it was one thing but the new look and his drunken rapping seems a bit out of character for even him. Any idea what is up? I know he wants to try new things but this is like going from North to South. I think he is an awesome actor and would love to see him back but this looks like he is just lost.

Jesus Christ what is this ? Maybe it,s a joke, to show how a great actor he is, maybe he lost a bet with a friend so now he has to do this... but if it's real I'm sure he's completely lost and he should just withdraw, leave in a zen monastery and have some time for himself, it would be better than to become a rapper with a beard and sun glasses...

MTV NEWS:

"Phoenix has said he's quitting acting to focus on his burgeoning hip-hop career. But with brother-in-law Casey Affleck following him around to film his every Andy Kaufman-esque move, speculation has been raised that the acclaimed actor is either having a public breakdown, suffering from a substance problem or playing an elaborate prank on the media for the purposes of the documentary. Letterman asked about his plans to take time off from acting, quipping "and I think you're taking a little time off tonight." He later urged Phoenix, "I'm hopeful that you will reconsider and come back to acting, because there's nobody really better than you are.'"

A lot of people are saying he is going into it, like this quote says, and "Andy Kaufman-esque" joke. If you never heard of Andy Kaufman go rent the movie Man on the Moon. Although that doesn't exactly describe his life (no bio-pic does) its still a great movie in general. Some are saying Joaquin is going into Hip-Hop and acting all high like this like Andy Kaufman went into wrestling by wrestling girls and acting like an asshole to everyone. As a joke.

Who knows.

How do you cope with substance abuse depression and a brother who died from drugs. I think this is no prank. I think he is ill.

Checks into Rehab

back in 2005

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1048663,00.html

previous interview on letterman

see the difference before and now

here is another interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oExRgD9zmNo&NR=1

Some people brought up a good point though.

At the end of the interview he stands up, smiles at Dave, and says Thank You. Very clear and very precise, unlike the rest of his interview at all.

Who knows. If it's a problem I hope he gets help. I'm still thinking its a joke though, for now.