How does everyone feel about fish?

cathalie

I ate fish when I was saying I was vegetarian, but just because it's called fish instead of meat, it's still flesh eating and it is not vegetarian - and not vegan at all. Fish consumption skyrocketed +300% in the last 50 years. Millions of fish caught, many of them raised in pens living in water polluted by their own excrements, they're sick and they're feeded with fish flour from the fish of the same specie who died sick (cannibalism) and with grains or other food not meant for fish. Even if the fish is caught in the ocean, flesh of fish is always polluted and intoxicated with mercury. 50% fish contains parasites.

oh wow. that is an eye opener i never knew they had such bad lively conditions. thats just wrong and terrible. I dont approve this at all. this also reminds me of somthing i watched on the documentary channel. About too many fish caught, so whales have less food to eat.. And yes only for the tastes i do find it stinks..

acesfull: thank-you for your insight!

and thanks to everyone else. After reading all these posts i haver decided to just not eat fish. i mean to be honest it is my life, and my parents should accept my choices. the way fish are kept, what they are fed and how they are caught is just unjust to me. i just ate some delicous tofu and i realized that the taste of fish isnt so great. neither is the smell. the tofu actually was delicious!! i just wish that in the future there will be many more restaurants that have vegan choices. because somtime sit is just frustrating!!

That's great to hear! Welcome to the world of delicious vegan eating! At times frustrating, yes. I got dragged to Olive Garden by a group from work once, and I had to send back my salad (the only potentially vegan thing on the menu) twice because the waitress kept putting parmesan cheese on my salad after I had asked them not to. Needless to say, they didn't get a tip from me! But knowing that I'm doing the right thing and knowing that (at home at least) I can eat food that is not only healthier but tastes better than what most people eat is a good feeling.

I think I was born to be vegan. I never liked fish and have only had it a few times in my life. I grew to the point where I wouldn't eat bacon, or sausage, nor any fast food so beef got cut as my mom only cooked chicken. I hated eggs. The only hang up I had about going vegan was what to do in life without cheese pizza. It's pretty unnecessary nutritionally so I let it go.

Sounds like you're getting close to vegan, but are just not quite there yet. As some have said do what you can. I'm sure many here would be delighted to provide you any support in going vegan if that's what you want to do.

If you like the fishy flavor you can make a mock tuna salad with chickpeas, veganaise, and add some kelp granules. You can also do a mock fish stick or fillet with extra firm tofu and a breading with chopped almonds and kelp granules and bread crumbs. you can also use seaweed or nori and make veggie sushi.
Yes And I once tried this "Faux Salmon

(or Mock Tuna)" recipe from this website. It was pretty good.

This attractive dish resembles salmon casserole. But we know it's not! Adding more kelp, dulse or any other sea veggies that you have on hand will increase the seafood flavor. For fun, press into a mold and unmold onto a platter, surrounded with kale and parsley, topped with almonds or olives. This dish is elegant served with warmed Mushroom Gravy. For a luncheon or brunch this recipe is lovely served in a scooped out tomato.

2 cups almonds, soaked 8-10 hours

2 whole carrots

1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion

1 1/2 cups finely minced celery

1/2 cup minced parsley

1/4 cup minced shallot or scallion

1/4 cup lemon juice

2 teaspoons kelp powder

1 teaspoon dulse powder or granules

1 tablespoon liquid amino's , 2 teaspoons nama shoyu or 1 teaspoon sea salt

Soak almonds 8-12 hours, drain, rinse and drain again. Put the almonds, carrots and onions through the heavy-duty juicer, using the blank

screen. Place mixture in a large bowl, add celery, parsley, shallots, lemon juice, kelp, dulse, liquid amino's or sea salt and stir thoroughly.

Shape into a mold or place in a pie crust. Or shape free hand like a fish. Keeps several days, covered, in the refrigerator. Serves 4-6.

Julienne of Carrot , Zucchini and Red Pepper

Although you can julienne by hand, using a mandoline will result in a more attractive looking dish.

2 carrots, julienne

1 zucchini, julienne

1 red pepper, julienne

It's not for them though. It's for me. Same with bodybuilding. I'm not lifting so I can get chicks or impress meatheads in the gym, I'm there to challenge myself, that's it. I push myself to my limits everytime. I don't care what others are doing. All I'm trying to say is it doesn't matter if your parents like it or not. It matters if you do.

+1

I think I was born to be vegan. I never liked fish and have only had it a few times in my life. I grew to the point where I wouldn't eat bacon, or sausage, nor any fast food so beef got cut as my mom only cooked chicken. I hated eggs. The only hang up I had about going vegan was what to do in life without cheese pizza. It's pretty unnecessary nutritionally so I let it go.

Sounds like you're getting close to vegan, but are just not quite there yet. As some have said do what you can. I'm sure many here would be delighted to provide you any support in going vegan if that's what you want to do.

I think so too! I could never digest meat well.. I've always been intolerant to dairy, and I've always hated cheese. And eggs. UGH!

Going vegan was so practical for me.

To hell with what other people think. We all delude ourselves into thinking/believing we are more than what we are.

The more important thing is the condition of our oceans, and of the creatures that live in them.

It is this that I have control over in my own little way.

If you like the fishy flavor you can make a mock tuna salad with chickpeas, veganaise, and add some kelp granules. You can also do a mock fish stick or fillet with extra firm tofu and a breading with chopped almonds and kelp granules and bread crumbs. you can also use seaweed or nori and make veggie sushi.

IMO, none of these taste like fish. Kelp tastes like kelp. Fish has a variety of tastes depending on the type of fish and how it's cooked. If it tastes like kelp, something horribly has probably happened to it.