DoggCrapp...

I gave it a good try, but the flavor was a bit too earthy for my liking

Seriously, though, I haven't ever really tried it as it is meant to be done for the program. I incorporate some rest/pause work into my high-rep training, but I'm sure that there are some people here who have a lot more experience with DC training done by-the-book.

hello,

Has anyone here tried DoggCrapp? If so how did you feel about it?

I tried it by the book for about 2 months, using the stretching protocol that was part of it too. I got some good results, particularly strength wise but found that the order of exercises, smallest to biggest, compromised the main compound movements too much. I ended up changing the order of exercises and rearranging the training split from a two day to a three day. I also reduced the amount of rest/pause I was doing and just kept more single set heavy compound exercises, so it deviated a bit from the DC protocol but found I could recover quicker and I didn't feel so tired. I still use this style of training on and off between the 5x5 stuff I normally do, as I feel the 5x5 is better for strength and then I can try maximum lifts when I go back to this modified DC/HIT program. I also kept up the stretching from the DC workouts which I think really help keep injuries away

I have been using it for a couple of months. Anybody that does DC claims that it's the hardest most intense way of training ever. Personally I didn't find it that intense, even though I was training as hard as I could. I would love to find a way to blend Rest Pause training with some 5x5.

Maybe if you pick one main compound movement to do 5x5 with and then one other compound exercise to do a work set with a couple of rest/pause sets. That should work out ok, like doing squats 5x5 and then leg press 1x8-10 and 1-2 rest pause sets to failure. It would be a little more volume than the DC but some people just don't respond to such low volume, high intensity stuff exclusively and this may work better- I may even try it, thanks for the idea

Maybe if you pick one main compound movement to do 5x5 with and then one other compound exercise to do a work set with a couple of rest/pause sets. That should work out ok, like doing squats 5x5 and then leg press 1x8-10 and 1-2 rest pause sets to failure. It would be a little more volume than the DC but some people just don't respond to such low volume, high intensity stuff exclusively and this may work better- I may even try it, thanks for the idea

Hmmm that does sound like a good idea. I've been trying to come up with a good way to follow my squats with the leg press to "top it off". Doing a 3x8 after a 5x5 just takes too long.

Hmmm that does sound like a good idea. I've been trying to come up with a good way to follow my squats with the leg press to "top it off". Doing a 3x8 after a 5x5 just takes too long.

It is also quite draining doing the 3 sets. Doing one intense set will still stimulate growth (I'm starting to sound like Mike Mentzer now)

I gave it a good try, but the flavor was a bit too earthy for my liking

How much per pound for that powder?

His store doesn't carry it yet...I'm not sure it's available in powder form. You can probably pick some fresh from around your neighborhood and add it to smoothies in place of peanut butter.

It is also quite draining doing the 3 sets. Doing one intense set will still stimulate growth (I'm starting to sound like Mike Mentzer now)

Ah yes, I tried this yesterday with squats and 45 deg leg press. Definitely feeling it today. Ended up doing four sets of 5 squats, one set of 6 leg presses, then a few rest-pause sets or the leg presses.

Ah yes, I tried this yesterday with squats and 45 deg leg press. Definitely feeling it today. Ended up doing four sets of 5 squats, one set of 6 leg presses, then a few rest-pause sets or the leg presses.

Awesome sounding workout, I think we're onto something with the combination of the 5x5 and HIT stuff. Maybe we can do a veganbodybuilding e-book and use this program

well i never tried it really but in a german bodybuilding forum there´s a guy who at least calls himself an expert in dc training, he learned it from the inventor of this kind of training himself and did it for 4 years now with (as he says) awesome results...he weighs about 183 lbs (10% body fat) at 5'8''...he wrote some very interesting articles about it, if you want to i could translate them and put them into this forum

well i never tried it really but in a german bodybuilding forum there´s a guy who at least calls himself an expert in dc training, he learned it from the inventor of this kind of training himself and did it for 4 years now with (as he says) awesome results...he weighs about 183 lbs (10% body fat) at 5'8''...he wrote some very interesting articles about it, if you want to i could translate them and put them into this forum

I'd be interested in a basic summary of what he's said. I can't even get through reading the original DoggCrapp notes... he rambles way too much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i´m so sorry for almost forgetting about this but here it comes

First of all I´ll translate his article for the basics of DC training, after that a bit of nutritional info on DC and the reasons for extreme stretching.

Doggcrapp-Training means extrem weights and extreme intensity:

With this system you part your training into two units which look like the following:

1: chest, shoulder, tricep, back

2: bicep, forearms, legs

You train 3 times a week

unit 1 as well as unit 2 each have 3 routines which rotate in use.

ok, most likely no one still understands me

so:

monday: 1a

wednesday: 2a

friday: 1b

monday: 2b

wednesday: 1c

friday: 2c

monday: 1a

each exercise will only be done with 1 set which is expanded by (does anybody know what ruhepausensätze is in english? ..let´s just call them rs/they´re explained in the following lines) and extreme stretching.

rs:

you lift a weight as often as you can, let´s say 8 times. then you take a break for exactly 12 deep breaths. after these 12 breaths you once again lift the weight for max reps before you pause for 12 deep breaths. a last time you try to get the last quantum of strength out of your muscle. Done.

directly after doing the full rs you start the extreme stretching for a whole minute.

extreme stretching:

using the weights you go into the max stretching position of the exercise and try to hold this for 1 minute. hell. (i´ll post some examples later)

after the stretching you´ll not stress the trained muscle any further.

structure of the routine:

you only train DC with basic exercises (with few exceptions) whether with free weights or machines.

example for the upper body:

routine 1a:

1: incline bench press at the machine 11-15 rp

2: Dumbbell Incline Shoulder Raise 11-15 rp

3: bench press close grip 11-15 rp

4: lat pulldown wide grip 15-20 rp

5: deadlift 1x3-6 1x 8-10 normal

routine 1b:

1: chest press (don´t know the exercise, so maybe the transation is wrong) 11-15 rp

2: dumbbell press sitting 20-30 rp

3: dips 11-15 rp

4: lat pulldown close grip 15-20 rp

5: Bent Over Two-Arm Long Bar Row 1x12 normal

routine 1c:

1: hammer strenght incline 11-15 rp

2: military press 11-15 rp

3: reverse benchpress 11-15 rp

4: upright rows 15-20 rp

5: rack deads 1x3-6 1x8-10 normal

routine 2a:

1: dumbbell-curls 15-20 rp

2: hammercurls 1x15 normal

3: Calf Press On The Leg Press Machine 1x12 ( explanation lateron )

4: lying leg curls 11-15 rp

5: squats 1x4-6 1x 20 ( explanation lateron )

routine 2b:

1: scottcurls 15-20 rp

2: reverse curls 1x15 normal

3: Barbell Seated Calf Raise 1x12

4: Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift 1x12 normal

5: leg press 45 1x4-6 1x 20

routine 2c:

1: cable curls 15-20 rp

2: wrist curls 1x15 normal

3: standing calf raise 1x12

4: leg curls seated 11-15 rp

5: barbell hack squat 1x4-6 1x 20

so, now the explanations for this plan

rp= reps of sets with breaks in between.

so when it says 11-15 rp, it means the following:

let´s say you do incline bench press. you should do 8-10 reps at once with your weight. let´s say you would have done 100kg for 8 reps. take a break, 12 times deep breathing and press again, let´s say you´d now have done 3 reps, break 12 rimes breathing and for the last time press as often as you can, let´s say 1 rep.

in total: 8+3+1=12 rp

as soon as you reach the upper border of the rp you raise the weight by 2,5kg. (rather take small steps)

all the exercises are documented in a workout diary. if you don´t do at least 2 more reps with an exercise of 1 of the routines or put more weight on each tim you take the exercise out of your routine and replace it with an alternative exercise.

some rp numbers are higher.

reasons.

1: at all dumbbell exercises the rp number is increased to 20-30(except for the bicep). the reason is the following. if you did 3 mini sets you wouldn´t be able to get into the starting position with the dumbbells.

2: bizep and lat are trained better with a slightly higher rep number.

3:calves:

when working the calves you do 1 set with 12 reps buuuuuut:

positive movement 1 second, negative movement 5 seconds, when you´re done with 1 rep 15 seconds of stretching while holding the weight, then repeat.

from the 7th rep on it will hurt as hell but you´re just allowed to stop when you did the 12, some kind of a mind thing.

4: deadlifts:

while doing deadlifts and free weight rows you don´t do rs because the danger of being hurt would be to high. just do 2 normal sets when deadlifting as already mentioned. 1 set with 12 reps will be enough for all free weight row exercises.

5:quads:

the first set of all quad exercises is for improving your strength and is therefore done with 4-6 reps. the second is done with 20 reps.

20 reps:

you take a weight that you can only lift 10 times. don´t take a break now but hold it, take some deep breaths and do 1-2 reps again. repeat until you did 20 reps. increase weight by 2,5 kg every time.

works like a miracle!!!

reps speed:

positive phase explosive, negative phase controlled, so you could stop the exercise at any time, if you had to.

so, i think now you know all the basics of DC but really just the basics.

extremely heavy weights don´t mean that you can´t move the weights properly. take a weight that makes it possible to have a clean movement with the mentioned rep number.

for doggcrapp periodisation is very important, that´s called cruise and blast.

blast is a time where you give everything and normally lasts for 8-10 weeks. when you notice that you cannot improve any longer it´s time to take a break. the break is called cruise which is 7-10 days of no workout at all.

also to be said, the DC style is nothing for beginners. you should have reached a certain level and especially experience.

So that´s the first part folks, stretching, nutrition and so on will follow later.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...