Unlikely places to see veganism

CollegeB

I like a good challenge now and then, traveling with family and friends usually can provide one, especially in the region i'm in right now. Have you ever seen cheese sticks at a chineese buffet? I have. It's not uncommon around here. Anyhow that has nothing to do with veganism, and i'm not really going to talk about veganism where i'm at.

I'm always very surprised to find vegans within more non-traditional politics. For example the other day there was a synopsis of an article (as well as a link) about the vegan diet.

"Vegan Diet Has Surprising Stick-to-it-iveness

A meat-free menu is easier to maintain and lowers blood sugar better than a traditional diabetes food plan, according to a new study

Is a vegan diet the new "non-diet"?

The question isn't if a diet works, but if it's sustainable. Any number of diets can lower blood sugar, reduce cholesterol or promote weight loss over its initial three months. But the real winner is the one that can accomplish these tasks over the long term.

Enter the vegan diet – a low-fat eating plan that shuns all animal foods including meat, poultry, dairy and eggs. Such a diet has been shown to improve blood sugar in people with diabetes, lower LDL (bad) cholesterol, promote weight loss and even help reverse heart disease.

A study published in the February issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association has concluded that a vegan diet – no calorie counting or measuring foods required – is easier to stick to than you might think.

In the study, researchers from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, the George Washington University and the University of Toronto assigned 99 people with Type 2 diabetes to follow either a low-fat vegan diet or a conventional diabetes diet for 18 months."

The text above was from http://www.lewrockwell.com/spl/vegan-diet.html and the surprising thing is that website has only had one or two other vegan articles, but numerous ones about eating endangered species, BBQ, wild game, etc. So not a whole lot of veganism there. If you dont want to go to that link, and want to go straight to the article referenced here you go

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090204.wlbeck04/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home

anyone else have an unlikely place for veganism they've seen whether it be on the internet or an eatery, or wherever.

Wow, the Globe and Mail... that is unlikely! I know you found the link to it on another, very unlikely site, but I stopped reading the Globe because of its blatant anti-vegan slant. That paper once published a multi-page article extolling the virtues of the veal industry, and berating its detractors (the vegans!). You kinda' got a double-unlikely here, CollegeB.

"Vegan Diet Has Surprising Stick-to-it-iveness

A meat-free menu is easier to maintain and...

I agree. I was amazed at how easy it has been for me to stay vegan once I decided to; no relapse to dairies. But when I was trying to be vegetarian for years I never been able : I was still eating fish, and even sometimes meat ! I think it's easy to be vegan when your motivations are for real : for health, and for ethical reasons towards the animals. And being vegan is this (eventhough only the 2nd one is necessary), so if you don't really have good reasons to be vegan , then you're not really vegan and you won't stay for long. Personally I don't think I would be able to be vegan for only one reason - but with both it's really easy; it would be hard to go back.

Trev, thank you for your perspective. I was not aware of the globe's stance. Double unlikely is very unlikely! Haven't seen you around the board Trev. Everything going alright for you?

IYM, I agree. The multifaceted approach keeps me committed as well. It gives the lifestyle a more thorough importance. Strong bonds.

take care guys!

Trev, thank you for your perspective. I was not aware of the globe's stance. Double unlikely is very unlikely! Haven't seen you around the board Trev. Everything going alright for you?

Oh yeah - everything's cool! I'm just getting back on here - I've just been very busy with other pursuits over the last year - changing careers, going back to school, training in martial arts, traveling... thanks for noticing my absence! I've neglected my own site a bit too, but that's changing now...

"Enter the vegan diet – a low-fat eating plan that shuns all animal foods including meat, poultry, dairy and eggs."

I don't know why this gets said so often. But a vegan diet is not intrinsically low-fat. I dunno what else to say about it, but it grinds my gears every time I read it