a very rough week... :(

acesfull

A week ago today, i started not feeling so hot.

during the week leading up to that, (2/1- 2/8) i was working out like crazy, eating a lot, just really pushing the limits. i did over 1200 pushups that week and thats as many as ive ever done in one week, probably more than i did my first 20 years on this earth.

the bad part is, i was sacrificing sleep. i was picking up some extra shifts at my second job, squeezing in morning and afternoon workouts and ending up with 5 hours or less of sleep before i had to get up and start over again.

so i guess i over trained.

monday the 9th rolls around and i can tell im sick. it started with sore throat, runny nose, general respiratory stuff, and it got to the point i had to take nyquil to sleep, although im not a fan of drugs.

3 days pass and the initial symptoms fade, but extreme fatigue sets in, and after some time off work, i had to go back on saturday. bad choice. i ended up having to go sleep in the storage room for an hour just to summon the strength to drive home, and my temp was reading 100.1

so all day yesterday i rested, laid in bed, walked around a little, and continued eating applesauce, oranges, pineapple, a little oatmeal, some celery and ive been taking my multi all through this as well. the first few days i tried to stay on my regular diet, pasta, beans, lots of lentils and greens, but i dont think my digestion was handling it well.

anyway, i think im getting over it. im at work now, and i dont feel like im dying anymore. still really weak, but my appetite is raging and i think im going to throw a bunch of brocccoli and green beans and green peas and brussel sprouts and carrots in a pot and maybe sip on the juice...

any suggestions are appreciated, i guess ive already gone through the worst of it, but i wanted to share with you guys because i have absolutley no support from my family. they immediatley accuse me of being protein defiicient and having a weak system, meanwhile theyre sucking down marlboros and living on canned soups, lunchmeat, white bread, cookies... the stuff the raised me on..

ive got the nutrition records to show exactly what nutrients im getting, but theyre not havin it.

on a more positve note all those pushups have really started to build up substantial muscle in my chest. hopefully some before and after pics are on the way, ill see if i can come up with a camera...

gtg be back later

Hey Aces,

I hope you recover to your full strength soon man!

Unfortunate family situation I'm sorry to hear. If you're showing them evidence that you're getting enough protein then what more can you do?

Take it easy and drink a good amount of water and I would suggest not working out until you're completely A-ok. I'd bet you're probably doing all that already though.

http://www.flowers-for-all-occasions.co.uk/images/60865@%20F&B%20GWSB&S.jpg

Bah! Screw what your family says. Is being a vegan supposed to make you immune to all illness? Wtf.

Yesterday I felt a cold coming on.. I woke up feeling very tired, and the glands underneath my jawline were all swollen and sore. I spent the day taking it easy, drinking orange juice and eating healthy foods. I had like a pound of raw broccoli.. Lol. I read that it can prevent cancer so its gotta prevent colds right?

Anyways, I feel better today.

I hope you do too ^^

well i thought i was geting better, but evidently my flu has degenerated into bronchitus or something. im getting lots of rest, but i seem to be negating it every time i have to come to work, which involves at least 2 hours of preparation and commuting, and then when i get here, i freeze my ass off bc we dont run the heat here at my job... its lke 50 outside i guess, but in my condition it feels like its 30.

today im wearing lots of layers, and hopefully tommorow i'll be off. im taking an antibiotic now, since my lungs hurt. if it gets worse ill be screwed.

last nite i used what little strengh i had left to stop by the store and grab some soup ingredients.. broccoli, onion, turnip greens, spinach, carrotts, bell pepper... drank some of the juice and right now im having some more. i think its helping. and ive finally stopped drinking so much water. im drinking a ridiculously over priced vitamin water which i dont want but i need something with electrolytes.

oh and im starting to get depressed bc all ive been doing the last 7 days is suffering at work then going home and laying in bed. im sick of it.

ginger, onion and garlic. I was told many times (on this forum, years ago) are the holy trinity of roots. When I'm coming down with something I toss em in with potatoes, and maybe some bell peppers. I make hashbrowns. I do it several times when ill. You can even make garlic tea, it's not all that bad actually. I usually make it with green tea and rosemary. Also bomb the body with vit. c. can't hurt!

Pneumonia!!! That sucks!!!

I had a mild case 12 years ago and I felt hideous!!!

I absolutely agree with collegeB ginger, onions and garlic are awesome and whenever I'm starting to come down with something they're what I reach for

Hope you are feeling better soon x

tyvm for the input!

today im feeling as good as i have since i got sick, but im still weak and dont feel quite right. just taking it one day at a time.

i cant wait to get some exercise, i havent broken a sweat in 17 days.

well, looking back i suppose i shouldve named this thread a very rough MONTH.

saturday and sunday i felt absolutely horrible, but yesterday and today im feeling better than i have in a while. still VERY weak, but i dont feel the general malaise thats been weighing me down for so long.

obviously no workouts, not since feb 8. it takes all of my strength just to get groceries, prepare food, take my dog out, shower, etc. i went back to the doctor 7 days ago and they took more blood, administerd a breathing treatment, and game me another 5 day course of antibiotics, a different one. they also gave me an inhaler which i use 4 times a day when im out of breath.

ive also noticed that my chest is aching very mildly. its not the kind of soreness you get from lifting. it feels like its right under the skin. this leads me to believe that i did indeed OVERTRAIN like an IDIOT, and my immune system collapsed for a day or two, resulting in the flu then pneumonia. im infected.

no cough to speak of, and when i do cough its always dry. but i definitley feel like my lungs are a little off...

as i said, today i feel alright. im back at work after another 5 days off, and the walking is getting easier but its still very tough. im used to walking fast and now im stuck walking like im 80 years old.

ive been eating plenty, lots of beans and raw veggies, also lots of soups. im supplementing with flax and hemp seeds, and im eating raw garlic daily. lots of onions too. and of course im taking my multi and sublingual b12. i bought some VEGA as well, and have been drinking that the last few days... good stuff.

so, unless i take a turn for the worse, i will be actively resting and attending work regularly from now on. all i can do is continue taking it one day at a time.........

I feel for ya man. I don't get sick for like 4 years straight, and then I get sick for a couple weeks and all my friends and family tell me it is because I am vegan. Even worse then that, my VEGAN friends were telling me it is because I eat too much raw food!

Turns out the wand to my Vitamix had a crack in it where all sorts of food got in and started to grow moldy. The crack only opened when pressure was applied like during stirring. Turns out I was giving myself food poisoning everyday. Doh!

It amazes me how people who are sick everyday of their lives can point fingers at us when we get sick once.

omg, thats crazy about your vitamix....

i get that too, the 'youre sick bc youre vegan' attitude. the other day i laid it all out for a friend of mine: i keep a detailed food log, i take supplements, and my diet has improved vastly compared to what i grew up eating. i explained that i dont need to kill animals to live and be healthy. this illness is not due to my diet.

and what did she say?? 'well, it just seems like you need chicken, or fish, or something..'

so ignorant.. [lol ive been wanting to use that smiley for a while now]

anyway, this friend of mine is a very intelligent person, but shes just repeating what everyone else heard and then repeated. WHY do i need to eat a dead chicken?? WHAT is in chicken that i cant get from whole plant foods? as far as fish, im not as educated as i should be, but flax seeds and avocados should have me covered....

and if its not enough that i keep very close tabs on my nutrition intake, ive had bloodwork done, and everythings normal.

i also told a relative of mine in the medical field(surgical assistant) about my illness about a week ago, and she said the same thing shes been saying since i told her i was vegan about 2 months ago.. 'your muscles arent getting enough protein..'

LMAO

in a way, its aggravating. in another way, its funny, bc a lot of what people say just doesnt make sense..

The whole protein thing is pretty ridiculous. They are just brainwashed by corporate propaganda. Dairy for strong bones, meat for strong muscles, and take your doctor prescribed medicine to keep you alive from all that dairy and meat you eat.

And if it isn't protein, it is B12. Ugh 1 in a million chance of a B12 deficiency versus 1 in 3 chance of a heart attack? You should play poker with these people. They are obviously bad at playing the odds. LOL

i agree, propaganda is the name of the game. youre raised to believe that milk is good for bones and blah blah blah, and you just accept it as fact.

we all know dairy and meat are big business, not to mention healthcare and pharmas on the other side of it...

of course we're all propagandized to an extent. theres no getting away from the lies, and that fact makes it hard to sift through them to get to the truth. and imo that can apply to all facets of life in this society.

it makes me wonder what ideal thats highly reguarded as truth is going to come crumbling down next in my life experience...