How much do you spend on food per month?

How much do you spend on food a month?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi everybody,

I'm interested how much you guys/gals spend on food per month and maybe a rough overview...

Do you buy a lot of organic stuff? A lot of supplements? Bars? Processed stuff? Fresh fruit/veggies?

I guess I'll start with myself... I spend about $ 300 on food. I really watch have to watch my budget.

I buy some organic stuff (mostly dried stuff like beans and rice) barely fresh stuff (expensive).

I spend about $ 30 on protein powder (nutribiotic) and eat about 40 builder bars (which I get for $ 1 per piece).

So thats 70 bucks per month on supplements and bars.

i spend roughly 200-250 dollars a month on food. It would probably be less, but I have to share a kitchen with a few people. That makes cooking, and preparing my own healthy vegan food hard, so I eat out more than I should. I also buy more easily prepared foods, like pre-cut and packaged fruit, which I know is more expencive.

I spend around $600 a month on food right now in winter. I eat mostly raw organic fruits and veggies. They are more expensive here in Colorado, because little is actually grown here. In the summer, I hit the farmers markets and can cut my costs in half.

I estimate I spend about $450-$500 per month, including supplements. I try and buy a lot of organic and now that it's summer I seem to be eating a lot of berries, which are quite expensive.

I think it is worth spending a little extra on good quality foods, especially as we spend a lot of time and energy trying to perfect our bodies

I estimate I spend about $450-$500 per month, including supplements. I try and buy a lot of organic and now that it's summer I seem to be eating a lot of berries, which are quite expensive.

I think it is worth spending a little extra on good quality foods, especially as we spend a lot of time and energy trying to perfect our bodies

I agree. There aren't many things as important to spend your money on.

• 1 year later...

I probably end up spending about $400 per month on mostly my own food. I cook a few meals a week to share with my boyfriend. I don't buy any protein shakes or supplements, I just eat a lot! Also, it's all organic, which is automatically more expensive, unforutnately...

I probably spend between $250-$300. I buy some stuff organic...mostly spinach and other greens. Everything else I usually buy conventional. Organic selection where I live is very poor and hard to find.

I buy a lot of produce and that's where the cost mostly stems from. I typically eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies and then I buy dried beans and grains.

$200 a month does 2 of us for breakfast, lunch and dinner. some of you spend a crazy amount on food.

I think a lot of it is relative to where you live. I live in a place with a ridiculously short growing season and produce is flown in from very far away. I would assume that would add to the price. I guess I could live more cheaply if I stopped eating so many fruits and veggies, but I don't really want to do that.

$200 a month does 2 of us for breakfast, lunch and dinner. some of you spend a crazy amount on food.

I think a lot of it is relative to where you live. I live in a place with a ridiculously short growing season and produce is flown in from very far away. I would assume that would add to the price. I guess I could live more cheaply if I stopped eating so many fruits and veggies, but I don't really want to do that.

+1

This. Also depends on cost of living where you're at. I live in eastern MA which is an uber expensive place to live. I try to cut back by shopping at farmer's markets, getting Boston Organics shipments every two weeks, and get things I use regularly on sale.

I probably spend $200-300 per month, easily. I also feed two kitties in addition to myself.

all i know is i live in san diego, ca...not exactly cheap. i dont buy anything pre made, and i cook every meal from scratch. tofu is 98 cents a carton, brown rice in bulk is crazy inexpensive, fruits and veggies are super cheap, as long as you avoid certain markets and but local or at farmers.

everyone should take some notes from this book.

http://www.dollaradaybook.com/

Isn't a lot of produce grown in California though? When I say I live in the middle of nowhere in Canada I am serious, our growing season is 2-3 months. All of our produce is usually from California or Mexico. Right there is an added cost - it's shipped from so far away. I have never seen such a thing as a "super cheap" fruit or veggie - we have one farmers market and it is MORE expensive than the store.

I honestly have never bought groceries in California though so maybe my hypothesis is completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Isn't a lot of produce grown in California though? When I say I live in the middle of nowhere in Canada I am serious, our growing season is 2-3 months. All of our produce is usually from California or Mexico. Right there is an added cost - it's shipped from so far away. I have never seen such a thing as a "super cheap" fruit or veggie - we have one farmers market and it is MORE expensive than the store.

I honestly have never bought groceries in California though so maybe my hypothesis is completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I buy a lot of various fruits and veggies organic to avoid pesticides and crap, and there's always a bit of extra cost involved. Given I only cook for myself and don't eat a heck of a lot, I figure it's worth it. My most expensive things are my supplements, and I typically get the Vega products on sale.

all i know is i live in san diego, ca...not exactly cheap. i dont buy anything pre made, and i cook every meal from scratch. tofu is 98 cents a carton, brown rice in bulk is crazy inexpensive, fruits and veggies are super cheap, as long as you avoid certain markets and but local or at farmers.

How the heck do you find tofu for 98 cents a carton??? The cheapest one I can find is $2.59. I save money by mostly using brown rice and dried lentils and chickpeas for a lot of my meals, but still. Organic veggies are way expensive, at least here. I just joined a CSA to save and still be able to eat organic, so that should help in another month or so.

But the other side of the coin is, I seriously eat a lot. I'm not trying to be lean, I'm powerlifting, and I really feel the difference in the gym (in a good way, strength-wise) when I have been eating a lot. So I'm sure that's part of why I spend so much.

I'm kind of confused about why it's so much cheaper for you there, although I know California is the biggest agricultural state...but I also live in an agricultural state, and the majority of my groceries are local...hm. I'll definitely check out that link.

How the heck do you find tofu for 98 cents a carton??? The cheapest one I can find is $2.59.

fresh and easy, nationwide chain, has it for that price everyday, i go food shopping once a month, get 30 packs of tofu. all the other stores, ralphs, albertsons, stater bros, etc... none are over $2.

Dudes, are you buying cakes made out of pure gold or something? How can you spend this much on food, I don't know... I barely spend anything really. Perhaps about £100 per month, at an absolute maximum, for 2 people. So more like £50 tops, which is like $80 or something like that. Usually much, much less than that though... It's scary to think this much could go on food, I'd be broke.