What is not Vegan

RAINRA

I keep hearing that car tires have animal byproducts in them. Don't know any specifics and googling didn't yield much.

Also, most wine and beer is not vegan. Eggs and isinglass, which comes from the swim bladders of sturgeons, are very often used as fining agents. Hear is a list of vegan beers.

Also, most wine and beer is not vegan. Eggs and isinglass, which comes from the swim bladders of sturgeons, are very often used as fining agents. Hear is a list of vegan beers.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go crazy. Maybe most crappy beer isn't vegan, but most good North American mini- and microbrews are. http://www.barnivore.com/beer I could live on just Dogfish Head, Unibroue, and Troegs if needed, and I wouldn't even have to go west of Pennsylvania.

Ya refined sugar is filtered through charred bones I believe.

Some of it is. Not all.

i couldn't believe this so i googled a bit. it seems like you americans are pretty much alone with that problem. almost all sugar here in germany f. e. is expressly vegan.

Yeah, here in scone land we are alright for sugar from most of the major companies as far as I know. When I found out about the old boney bone bones, I researched it and found a brand which certainly doesn't use them, and then haven't looked it up since then

Yep, if you're in the USA, you're in one of the last places that uses bone char refining. Not ALL sugar refineries in the US do use bone char, but most of the big ones like Domino and C&H do, and they supply the bulk of cheaply-made foods here with their sugar sourcing.

Although, I've met plenty of vegans who simply don't care about bone-char filtered sugar either way. There were some analysis reports online that I'd seen years ago that showed there's no bone char in the final sugar, so some people equate it to being identical to shared equipment that makes dairy and non-dairy chocolate - it's a crappy situation, but they just deal with it. I won't sell anything that contains bone-char refined sugars as a lot of vegans do prefer to avoid them, but if you're one of those people on the fence, get your hands on some Goldenberg's Peanut Chews One of the best almost-totally-vegan snacks I've ever had the chance to try, but if it weren't for that darned issue with their sugar...though it might be different in Europe if they do their production there and don't have them sent in from the USA.

Oh yeah, I recently had someone contact us to say that they'd been told be Seventh Generation that they use some dairy proteins in their paper products like napkins and paper towels. Never knew that one before, but if they do it, I'm pretty sure that it's likely an industry standard for most companies here...

And yes, there apparently are some animal by-products in rubber, plastics and such. You'll never really know for sure (I could be typing on a keyboard that contains something nasty at this very moment), but you'll go crazy trying to figure it all out. It's not about perfection, rather, doing our best to reduce overall cruelty.

Humans are crazy, putting dairies in paper. Soon one will get mad cow disease by using a napkin.

Also, let's not forget animal products in surgery stuff. In France there's been at least 4 people who died after a surgery because they used bandages containing prions infected cells cow brain, supposed to help the wound heal more quickly.

The sugar isn't a problem in the european union. I think we have sanitation laws that forbid refining it through bone char. Not sure though but no one in Sweden uses bone char. Just make sure to watch out for imported products from the US, however the almost only use HFCS.

Almost all medications

Correction: ALL medications. Every medication has to be tested on animals before being sold.

sure? my gf bought some a while ago cause the woman working at the drugstore said that those aren't tested.

Things might have changed. Back in 2006 something was about to happen but I think it got fucked. My dad works for a drug company and he claims that the law forces them to do animal experiments before they later try them on humans.