Interesting upside down vision article

Richard

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae353.cfm

Ahrr, I didn't know this could happen. I had heard that the light going into your eyes onto the retina forms an upside down image, and that the brain is able to interpret it and you percieve the image flipped upside down. but I didn't know that you could fool the brain in the manner that is described at the end of the article. A bit frightening in my opinion

yeh. I scratched my cornea when I was little and I had to wear a patch. eventually I got used to the depth perception and could see no problem. when he took the patch back off (couple weeks), I had trouble seeing. I couldnt figure out anything, but then my eye adjusted in a few days. and everything was back to awesome.

I asked a lot of questions about eyes, and my doctor explained we see things upside down at birth and the brain adjusts to it and stuff, and that another lens in front of our eyes would inverts this image "normal" and we'd see everything a different way again. but the brain would adjust. just like my brain adjusted to the eye patch or how we adjust to new prescription glasses.

I think it's awesome, I'd like to try it out sort of, but then I'd be scared that it'd get stuck inverted and that would freak me out. Imagine putting your hand out to touch something beneath you, but you see your hand go upwards. ahrr. Imagine trying to write something down even, intense

this isn't exactly related, but kind of. I wear contacts, my vision is absolutely horrible, a -7.5 in each eye. Anyway, I have a pair of glasses that are absolute junk and are warped and falling apart. I only wear them at night and when I first wake up. Because they are warped and the one lens always falls out, so it is not placed correctly, when I first put them on my vision is all distorted, but I get used to it after a short while. When I switch back to contacts, then they seem distorted..

• 3 weeks later...

wordlife, when i wear my glasses, they seem wrong to start with, then I get used to them. Then when I take them off, my eyes are ultra bummed, it takes a while to adjust to not wearing them again. I wonder if I even need the glasses, I think I might have been conned through my ass.

talking of one eye depth perception, my uncle (who is now in his late 70's) lost his right eye when he was about 12. it didnt stop him playing tennis and playing it really well. he has something in the order of 60 trophies.

its pretty cool that you can fool the brain, as showed by that study - not sure that i would want to do it myself though

jonathan