In lieu of assisted chin-ups

I'd like to try the Stronglifts 5x5 program, and it says to NOT do assisted pull/chin-ups. Gives option of doing negative pull/chin-ups among other suggestions.

Rather than pull the desk guy away from the desk (larger gym and he needs to keep an eye on the door) and to avoid interrupting other gym-goers (see thread about talking at the gym ), could I use the smith machine? I'm only 5'1", so maybe I could set it into the highest slot, bend my knees a bit and start out that way? Or is that the most ridiculous idea ever?

I do inverted rows (like an upside down, hanging pushup) on the smith machine occasionally, so I can't see why that wouldn't work. I'd probably just stand on a bench or a box to reach the regular pullup bar, but the smith machine bar, if the height works for you, should be just fine. Just make sure the smith's bar is securely locked into place

I do inverted rows (like an upside down, hanging pushup) on the smith machine occasionally, so I can't see why that wouldn't work. I'd probably just stand on a bench or a box to reach the regular pullup bar, but the smith machine bar, if the height works for you, should be just fine. Just make sure the smith's bar is securely locked into place

Ah, yes, it was actually me trying to do inverted rows that made me think of it! That's funny! If folks thought the smith machine idea wouldn't work, I would just pull a bench up to the regular bar. I'll letcha know how it goes tomorrow night.