Powerlifting Meet Video - Huge day for me!

ralst

I competed at the 2009 APA Raw Northwestern Powerlifting Meet yesterday. Here's the video of the meet:

It was a big day for me. I PR'ed all three lifts: 370 Squat, 240 Bench, 500 Deadlift. Especially happy with the deadlift.

Thanks guys. I had a blast! Even got a chance to wear my new VBB shirt during the awards ceremony - which didn't happen till nearly 10pm, and most people had left by then, but still

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kB5Ii4C60B0/SatjuyNBJ_I/AAAAAAAAB9Q/4KGsK8SKicc/s800/IMG_2948.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kB5Ii4C60B0/SatjwATk5bI/AAAAAAAAB9Y/MPaxtebVlLE/s800/IMG_2949.JPG

(I came in second in the Open 242s, which is pretty good except I only had one competitor, so second was also last place )

Robert - I have a strongman competition this April in Fresno, CA. After that I'm not sure, I'll probably take the summer "off". I'm getting married in July so some down time to concentrate on that will be good. Then hopefully I'll get the chance to do a couple more competitions in the later portion of the year.

Awesome! So cool that you wore the shirt too! I just walked in the door and yelled across the house to Tasha who is making some food to tell her how cool I thought it was for you to wear the VB&F shirt at the awards ceremony!

Again, great job, you made the lifts look easy, including the 500 pound (very impressive) lift!

I look forward to hearing about the contest in April!

Dang! You don't seem to even struggle or hold your breath like so many seem to do do you focus on breathing right? I bet that helps make your lifts so smooth. It's so important in other types of exercise, do you think it's essential for lifts like this?

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding

Thanks all

Dang! You don't seem to even struggle or hold your breath like so many seem to do do you focus on breathing right? I bet that helps make your lifts so smooth. It's so important in other types of exercise, do you think it's essential for lifts like this?

Actually, if you look closely, you can see me taking in a belly-full of air at the top of the squats, then I hold my breath until I've completed the lift. It's pretty hard to stay tight on a max-effort lift if you aren't holding your breath - so I (and I imagine almost all powerlifters) purposefully do so during lifts.

VE & SeaSiren - Thanks

Fallen_Horse - It varies. Since the weigh-ins for the meet last Friday, I've pretty much been eating crap. When I'm not eating like crap...well, I don't know, it rarely happens

I still need to lose some weight over the next month and a half, so what I plan to be doing is try and follow (very, very loosely) the Zone diet...ie, relatively balanced proportion of protein, carbs, and healthy fats at each meal. But I also try to take in a lot of protein (200-300g/day) which I'm sure breaks that balance somewhat. It's worked for me in the past. I don't think you can really go wrong with lots of tofu, rice protein isolate, veggies, and as little soy ice cream as possible

Cheers Jason.

I just posted to the strength table thread. I would only count the bench and deadlift PRs on there, the squat was done with knee wraps which gives a definite "assist" (probably 15-20 pounds extra on the lift).

• 2 weeks later...