goodness!!! how long does it take to lose the beer gut!?

What did I do to my self for the past 7 years? all those beers! HaHa! I haven't drank alcohol in exactly 63 days and I do abdominal exercises 5 times a week, about 250 a day. and I'm starting to see some muscle and definition on my two upper abs, but the other four are still buried underneath. I have lost weight and an inch and a half or so around my waist. But I guess I would like to see more progress. Based on your personal experiences with ab workouts, what's generally the average reps and how long does it take for you to start seen results?

You can always look on you tube if you want to see a video..

Just do a search of ab workouts.

thanks! Yes I have, But I wanted stories from others. regarding how long it took them and if it's difficult, what muscles did they have a hard time targeting the most, what worked for them and what did, etc. =]

It's all in the diet for getting abs to show. Doing ab workouts will build the musculature, but won't spot reduce, so the only way to get a ripped set of 6-pack abs is to lose fat overall and wait for that last problem area to come off. It never hurts to work them directly (not just to make them larger, but to increase your core strength and stability), but if you don't reduce your body fat level, you'll never see serious definition no matter what.

I've had a small gut as long as I can remember. Even when I was my lightest at 192 lbs. and at my leanest, I still never saw more than the outline of my abs and never had definition (since I never really got below about 9% bodyfat, they remained hidden). If you're unfortunate like I am and have your main fat stores settle there, it's a pain in the arse to get abs to show. I'd have to get down to a seriously lean state of around 6% BF to ever see them all separated. Some guys are lucky and can have more visible abs at higher bodyfat levels, but they're freaks of nature and we should resent them with everything we've got

So, if you want to see some serious abs, you've got to diet your way down to them, as no amount of direct work will ever make them pop out if you don't lose fat to show better definition (unless you develop massive abs that can show through higher bodyfat levels, but such things are rare).

It's all in the diet for getting abs to show. Doing ab workouts will build the musculature, but won't spot reduce, so the only way to get a ripped set of 6-pack abs is to lose fat overall and wait for that last problem area to come off. It never hurts to work them directly (not just to make them larger, but to increase your core strength and stability), but if you don't reduce your body fat level, you'll never see serious definition no matter what.

I've had a small gut as long as I can remember. Even when I was my lightest at 192 lbs. and at my leanest, I still never saw more than the outline of my abs and never had definition (since I never really got below about 9% bodyfat, they remained hidden). If you're unfortunate like I am and have your main fat stores settle there, it's a pain in the arse to get abs to show. I'd have to get down to a seriously lean state of around 6% BF to ever see them all separated. Some guys are lucky and can have more visible abs at higher bodyfat levels, but they're freaks of nature and we should resent them with everything we've got

So, if you want to see some serious abs, you've got to diet your way down to them, as no amount of direct work will ever make them pop out if you don't lose fat to show better definition (unless you develop massive abs that can show through higher bodyfat levels, but such things are rare).

+1

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta agree. Diet is the key to ripped abs. I'm 48 and have a six pack (for the first time in my life) and only do about 25 crunches a week. Super low-fat diet (no more than 10% of calories) and the balance only whole foods will get you there without breakin a sweat (most people anyway.) Push your fingers hard into you stomach and you'll feel the cuts in your ab muscles. The cuts are already there from the sit ups, your just can't see em through the fat-and it don't take much.

• 2 weeks later...
Gotta agree. Diet is the key to ripped abs. I'm 48 and have a six pack (for the first time in my life) and only do about 25 crunches a week. Super low-fat diet (no more than 10% of calories) and the balance only whole foods will get you there without breakin a sweat (most people anyway.) Push your fingers hard into you stomach and you'll feel the cuts in your ab muscles. The cuts are already there from the sit ups, your just can't see em through the fat-and it don't take much.

you are right, they are there.. but I can't see them haha. Ok. I need to know what not to eat now.

i'm in the same boat as you, so much gut, so little abs years and years of being stupid has finally caught up with me

i don't have a six pack so my words won't carry much weight, but trying to get my six pack i'm mostly doing sprinting atm. your biggest muscles burn the most fat, so why not work on those muscles instead of doing countless crunches?