Fasting

I am curious how many people incorporate fasting into their lifestyle? When I mentioned fasting at veganfitness, I got harassed to no end. I find fasting helps me stay balanced and makes me feel more energized, especially after a potluck or buffet. I also feel like I am cleaner on the inside if that makes sense.

For a one day fast, I might do less than 500 calories, and for a 2 or 3 day fast, I might do 1,000 or 1,200 calories or all fruit smoothies. Nothing solid. Lots of water and tea.

I've found the whole fasting/detox thing to be really beneficial every once in a while. I've found doing it once a month (usually the first sunday) to be really great. I usually have some form of detox tea the night before and stick to the whole 'just drinking water all day' thing. The cool (and somewhat unpleasant thing) is the night after your fast, you tend to deal with all the chemical release from previous times you were sick/hung over/whatever, and it can lead to a rough night, but I always feel awesome the next day! Gives me more energy, makes me feel cleaner, etc. Then again, I'm not a bodybuilder so, don't know how that would work for you guys.

I don't do it myself, but I have friends who swear by it. I think it's one of those things that doctors/nutritionists recommend against because so few people do it responsibly. Just don't let your body get used to the fast and don't do it when you know you're already low on energy.

This is probably one of the many things that fits into the "if it works for you, do it" category.

I am not a body builder either. I just like this forum because it is more open and friendly then vegan fitness. You can get honest answers and discussions here.

My main goal is to get ripped. I don't really want to add muscle weight because the more I weigh, the less employable I am in my field. I am around 165 and 5'11" right now. If I can get rid of this last 5 pounds of fat or so, I would be very happy. Fasting, I hope, will help me get there. Because the potlucks sure aren't!

I fast for 5 - 10 days once a year to cleanse my liver and colon and give my body a rest. I always feel great afterwards, and I've used the fast to heal from very persistent sicknesses as well.

I think giving your digestive system rest so your body can concentrate its energies on other things is extremely important. Although I've never tried fasting on a regular basis like once a week.