Help, need ideas

ljk11

I have a lot of problems with soy and lentils. I'm running out of ideas for non-meat food that I can eat, to get enough protein while not feeling awful.

I'm very intolerant to gluten (celiac), and soy and beans and lentils kill my stomach as well. I used to eat a lot of egg whites (not vegan, I know) but have realized I am allergic to them (both through tests and experience of feeling gross after eating them).

So what else would be a good source of protein? Since tofu is out for me.

I also find that nuts are pretty hard on my system.

It's not easy (nor very healthy I would think) living on oil and greens... suggestions?

There are a variety of protein options out there not involving meat that might or might not work for you. Your allergy situation makes me wonder if there is something bigger here. Check with your doctor. It is not unusual to see people who are allergic to soy or eggs, but you seem to have more than your fair share of allergies. You could try hemp protein or brown rice protein or even pea protein or a blend of those. With your limited protein options I would look at taking branch chained amino acids (BCAA) with your proteins since you probably not get a lot of protein in your diet, and none of these are complete proteins in and of themselves. I hope this helps.

Are you preparing the beans properly?

For now I would say start using some sort of hypoallergenic protein, like a rice or hemp, a couple of times per day and if you can stomach them, eat a small amount of seeds, like chia or pumpkin.

Have you tried soaking almonds before eating them? I find that helps make them a little easier to digest.

Even eating some sprouted grains and legumes may be ok for you, just try them all in small portions. Tempeh may be the same, it's not as harsh to digest as tofu or whole soy beans.

I think you should get your symptoms evaluated though, just to see where the root of the problems stems from. You may need some digestive enzymes, or to take some bitters to stimulate digestion.

Hi

thanks for the responses. I have seen a lot of doctors and agree I have more than my fair share of issues. So far both medical and holistic/'natural' health professionals haven't really helped.

This is a bit candid, but I basically have huge enormous amounts of gas at all times and it's really nasty

I just got some hemp protein - it's not that bad if you mix it with fruit and stuff

Careful with BCAA's though. Many use duck feathers as the source raw material.

really?

Yep. I've talked to the chemists of Ultimate Nutrition, Gaspari, and GNC. All of 'em use Duck Feathers as the source material for L-Leucine. Pig hair isn't uncommon either. You can make L-Leucine from human hair, but I've yet to see a company admit to using such a source.

I am disappointed about Gaspari using feathers for their aminos, I would have figured they'd be more considerate than that. I'm pretty sure MRM use rice for their BCAA's as do Primaforce (I once emailed them and they told me it's derived from vegetable sources). There are a ew here in Australia which use rice as the source but there are others I would be wary of.