Joel's training journal

Oh sorry I didn't pick up the one locally since I already ordered the one from down under. I got my black quinoa in the mail today so I will be making that for dinner tonight to try it out. By the way the one arm chinups are totally badass!

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the quinoa!

Ha ha!! I look a little uncoordinated, I seem to rotate a little at the bottom of the movement. I'll try to get someone to film me and I'll get people to critique me on my form.

Yesterday I trained back and delts

One arm rows - 20kg x 12

30kg x 6

55kg x 8 x 3 sets

High pulls - 100kg x 3 x 5 sets

Clean and press - 70kg x 3 x 3 sets

One arm chins - 5 x 3 sets - I'm getting better at these all the time

Bentover lateral raises - 12kg x 12 x 3 sets

Rollouts (w/dumbells) - 8 x 3 sets

Diet

Meal 1 - 2 wraps with lentils, quinoa, chickpeas, tomatoes, avocado, spinach leaves

Meal 2 - 140g lentils, spinach leaves, 1/2 avocado

Meal 3 - Nitrofusion shake

Meal 4 - Lentil burger, broccolini, 15ml macadamia oil

Meal 5 - 15g BCAA's, 15g spirulina, yerba mate tea

Meal 6 - Nitrofusion shake, 15g spirulina, 3g creatine

Meal 7 - Same as meal 1, also 10g BCAA's

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn really need to learn how to do 1 arm chinups. Sorry about the bad day at mvs but you can't do pb every week

Thanks mate. That is true but everyone there really motivates eachother to go for big lifts. Nevermind, I'll just keep trying to train smart and the pb's will come

one armed chins. Now there is an old school exercise. Do you brace with your free hand or do you just dead hang and do them? I just found your blog. Good stuff in here.

I still brace myself with my free hand, I also use straps, so I lose some points there for trying to be hardcore!

Made the black quinoa and of course it was very good. It keeps its crunchyness compared to the white. Still waiting for my coconut butter.

Yeah it has a nice texture to it, the flavour seems to go well with most other foods i have combined it with. I'm curious to see what you think about the coconut butter...

Hey Joel,

I'll be in Melbourne over the June Long Weekend - 5th, 6th and 7th of June, if you are around it would be great to catch up for some training.

I'll get in touch with Noah and see what he is up too as well.

Chris

That would be great, we'll have to tee up a couple of workouts while you're down here.

30-4

Chest, legs and arms

Bench press - bar x 15

60kg x 8

100kg x 4

120kg x 3 x 3

Floor press - 100kg x 2 x 3 sets

Squats - 60kg x 8

100kg x 4

140kg x 5 x 3 sets

Dumbell skullcrushers - 25kg x 5 x 3 sets

Barbell curls - 35kg x 5 x 3 sets

Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 15 x 3 sets

1-5

Hamstrings, back, shoulders, abs

Dumbell leg curls - 17kg x 8

25kg x 6 x 3 sets

Deadlifts - 60kg x 5

100kg x 5

140kg x 5 x 3 sets

Dumbell clean and press - 33kg x 2 x 3 sets

Overhead squats - 60kg x 3 x 3 sets

Jacknives - 10 x 3 sets

Joel - guess what came today baby??? my coconut chocolate butter!!!!! getting ready to make the protein fudge right now! I only hope that loving earth doesn't turn into living girth for me. hee hee!

How did the fudge go?

Moderation is the key lol

I've been busy the last couple of days so haven't been updating my journal.

3-5-09

Trained at my parents place with my brother

Bench press - bar x 15

60kg x 6

100kg x 4

130kg x 1 x 3 sets

Phone book presses - 130kg x 2 x 3 sets

Squats - 100kg x 5

145kg x 3 x 3 sets

Rollouts - 10 x 3 sets

4-5

Had a small session at Melbourne uni powerlifting club. The coach is a real prick towards vegans - and bodybuilders - I think it is just a way to boost his own self esteem but still i thought I would try and prove him wrong, although some of the MVS crew have already shown how strong vegans are. I was just the new guy...

I just bench pressed and got up to 120kg for 4 reps, was a little sore from the night before but still think i did enough to prove him wrong. next time I will show him how a vegan squats!!!

I just had a workout this evening (5-5). Trained legs, back and arms

Squats - Bar x 15

60kg x 5

100kg x 3

140kg x 2

170kg x 1

180kg x 1 - Was pleased with that, only 10kg off my pb. Even though the squat program I was doing got interrupted by my flu a couple of weeks back I think I am progressing ok. Will go for a pb very soon I think.

Deadlifts - 100kg x 4

145kg x 5 x 3 sets

One arm chins - 5 x 3 sets

Dumbell curls (seated- both arms at once) - 15kg x 6 x 3 sets

Skullcrushers - 50kg x 6 x 3 sets

Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 15 x 3 sets

Diet

Meal 1 - 'The Ultimate meal' shake with 5g cocoa powder and 20g blueberries - I found the stuff online and thought i would try it. I plan on using it as an MRP and when I get more Sunwarrior I will use that as my post workout shake.

Meal 2 - 1/3 can nutmeat, 1/3 can savoury lentils (nice i don't have to soak my lentils for a change), steamed spinach, 15g chia seeds

Meal 3 - Same as meal 2

Meal 4 - Nitrofusion shake, 3g creatine, Yerba mate - missed a meal so had pre workout as meal 4

Meal 5 - Nitrofusion shake, 5g BCAA's, 15g spirulina, 3g creatine

Meal 6 - Wholemeal spaghetti, tomato sauce, parmazano vegan cheese

Meal 7 - Same as Meal 1

I think the Ultimate meal will be a staple for me, just a pain to order as it isn't here in Australia - I guess you guys don't have the chocolate coconut butter I have, so we're square!!

Glad to hear you were showing off your vegan power.

Yeah, new gym, new people, have to start all over again...

Trained chest, legs, shoulders, back and abs last night - low volume for most of it though, that is a lot of bodyparts in one session.

Bench press - Bar x 15

60kg x 5

100kg x 4

120kg x 5 x 3 sets

Phone book press - 130kg x 2 x 3 sets

Floor press - 120kg x 3 x 3 sets

Front squats - 100kg x 5 x 3 sets

Military press - 80kg x 2 x 3 sets - Wanted to do clean and press but knee hurt a little from front squats, plus I forgot my gym pants at home so had to train in my cargos I wore to work and nearly ripped a hole in the back squatting because they don't fit like gym pants- didn't want to risk it again cleaning the barbell...

Bentover row - 70kg x 10 x 3 sets - I don't go heavy on these, kind of do the old school way of standing on a bench and pulling to lower part of rib cage. I hate training in cargos, this exercise sucked too....!!

Rollouts - 10 x 3 sets

Hit the punching bag a bit and the speedball after my session.

Meal 1 - The ultimate meal shake, 10g chia seeds (dry weight, they expanded a lot), 5g chocolate coconut butter, 2g phytoplankton

Meal 2 - veggie burger wrap with hummus, broccoli sprouts, bean shoots

Meal 3 - 120g tempeh, bean shoots, 20g chia seeds, broccoli sprouts, 20g mixed colour quinoa

Meal 4 - Same as meal 3

Meal 5 - Same as meal 1

Meal 6 - Nitrofusion shake, 3g creatine, 15g spirulina

Meal 7 - Same as meal 2 but added beetroot and chia seeds (10g spread in with hummus)

Oh come on Joel. tearing your clothes during a workout is sexy. Def would show off your vegan power to the rest of the new gym. HEE HEE!

Like the hitting the bag work! Sometimes wish I was still doing it but it's too much for me right now.

Oh come on Joel. tearing your clothes during a workout is sexy. Def would show off your vegan power to the rest of the new gym. HEE HEE!

Like the hitting the bag work! Sometimes wish I was still doing it but it's too much for me right now.

I might just start ripping the top part of my t-shirt to show more pec when I'm training....

Although that would probably require me to wear some sort of gold jewellery aroung my neck to complete the look That is anything but a good look haha

You can kick the bag though can't you? Nothing like some good leg kicks to the bag, you can even use those kicks to demonstrate your power outside the gym... Look straight and kick low hehehehe

Great workout!

What is a phone book press?

Thank you!

A phonebook press is bench pressing with a telephone book on your chest to reduce the range of motion to the top part of the rep, near a common sticking point in the movement. It helps build power, particularly in the triceps.

A lot of people do board presses, which is the same, except using small pieces of wooden board in place of the phone books.

I think they work well with dumbell presses on a swiss ball as that works the bottom part of the movement. They make a good combination for building bench press power.

No workout last night, felt like i was heading towards overtraining as I struggled the night before.

Ate pretty clean and still cycled to work so I did some form of exercise.

Made some more of Sosso's protein bars, added some chia seeds and phytoplankton to it, make it a different texture but still nice nonetheless. Only had a small piece, about 15g, I'll keep it in the fridge as a snack.

A phonebook press is bench pressing with a telephone book on your chest to reduce the range of motion to the top part of the rep, near a common sticking point in the movement. It helps build power, particularly in the triceps.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks! Here I thought you were lifting phone books or something....

hope your feeling better from your rest day.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to training tonight. Everything feels a little less sore today.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks! Here I thought you were lifting phone books or something....

Might be good for core stability if I hold one in each hand

Last night's workout was more of a lighter squat and heavier deadlift session. Was a short session but challenging enough nonetheless.

Squats - Bar x 15

60kg x 8

100kg x 4

140kg x 4

155kg x 3 x 3 sets

Deadlifts - 100kg x 3

140kg x 1

180kg x 1 x 2 sets - Didn't feel strong enough to go for 190kg, could have to do with squatting first, although that doesn't normally cause any problems.

One arm chinups - 5 x 3 sets

Jacknives - 12 x 3 sets

Meal 1 - Ultimate Meal shake, chocolate coconut butter, blueberries

Meal 2 - 2 rye rolls with broccoli sprouts and lentils (cooked the lentils with capsicum, tomatoes and red onions)

Meal 3 - Lebanese oregano pizza with salad and olives, small serve of protein fudge

Meal 4 - Veggie pattie with chickpeas, bean shoots, asparagus and broccoli sprouts

Meal 5 - 20g BCAA's, 15g spirulina, espresso (went straight from work so had to get a coffee)

Meal 6 - Ultimate meal shake, 3g creatine, 20g black quinoa blended in (soaked it all night so it was ready to go)

Meal 7 - Salad and tofu souvlaki. Used the souvlaki bread and just added olives, tofu, capsicum, onion, garlic and tomato

Yeah it's nice to have now and then, makes me enjoy tofu which I find hard to enjoy normally unless I eat it off the barbeque.

Trained chest, legs and arms this morning, more of a speed session rather than big weights

Bench press - Bar x 20 x 2 sets

60kg x 3 x 6 sets - concentric as explosive as possible

Swiss ball dumbell press - 45kg x 5 x 3 sets

Squats - 60kg x 3 x 6 sets - again explosive concentric movement

Walking lunges - 30kg x 10 x 3 sets - basically ran but made sure I did each rep properly. I don't really like doing lightweight stuff, lunges are one of my favourite exercises and I had to refrain myself from going heavier.

Close grip floor press - 60kg x 6 x 3 sets

Chinups (for biceps) - 6 x 3 sets - not one handed today, more focus on my biceps just using two hands and close grip

Dumbell skullcrushers - 18kg x 6 x 3 sets

Dumbell calf raises - 20kg (x2) x 15 x 3 sets

Meal 1 - Nitrofusion shake, handful of Mrs May's almond crunch snacks (just almonds and some evaporated can sugar to bind them)

Meal 2 - Ultimate meal shake, 3g creatine - trained in morning as it is Sunday here, didn't take a stimulant pre workout, just my creatine after as usual.

Meal 3 - Wrap with tempeh, mixed leaf salad, beetroot, hummus

Meal 4 - Ultimate meal shake, 10g chocolate coconut butter, 10g chia seeds

Meal 5 - Same as meal 3

Meal 6 - Sweet potato chips, another handful of the almond snacks, small piece of dark chocolate, handful of goji berries

Didn't eat as much because the last meal is a bit of a cheat meal, also wasn't all that hungry today.

I am liking this speed session stuff! I think it is important to do sometimes not just big weights all the time. Sometimes the things we hate doing are what we need. (Don't hate me for saying that) I am not a big fan of tofu either but Have you tried turning it into a "cheese" using garlic, olive oil, salt, oregano and pureeing it. It comes out close to a ricotta cheese. or if you cut it into cubes and let it marinate in that stuff it comes out like a feta cheese. Another quick way I will make it sometimes is to press and drain the water out of it then cut into cubes and sautee it in some olive oil until it starts turning golden. then with the heat med high - put some soy sauce on to taste, then take it off the heat and dust it with nutrional yeast. Comes out very good this way. I notice you eat a lot of tempeh I do the same thing for tempeh if i am in a hurry and it comes out nicely. Also have you tried tofu scrambles?

Yeah I used to eat scrambled tofu a lot. I mixed in mushrooms, onions, tomato, capsicum etc into it. Kind of got bored of it though, I'm sure I'll get back into it one day though. I'm going to try cooking my tempeh like you described, sounds really nice.

I'll try and make it tonight, got lentils, chicpeas and a couple of veggie burgers for today. Thanks for the tips, sometimes it gets boring eating the same bland bodybuilding food day in day out year after yeah. I think I might stop bodybuilding soon and just be a powerlifter, I can eat all the nicer vegan foods in larger quantities then!!

Tofu scramble is great. I made it for the first time this week and have had it twice already. Here's one recipe I used -

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=110

Another one I've used (I think this one tastes better) -

1 block firm tofu

1/2 cup nutritional yeast

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp parsley flakes

1/2 tsp turmeric

Salt & pepper

Saute the crumbled tofu in vegetable oil for a few minutes

Add remaining ingredients & mix well

Cook for 5 - 10 minutes.