Joel's training journal

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tofu scramble is great. I made it for the first time this week and have had it twice already. Here's one recipe I used -

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=110

Another one I've used (I think this one tastes better) -

1 block firm tofu

1/2 cup nutritional yeast

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp parsley flakes

1/2 tsp turmeric

Salt & pepper

Saute the crumbled tofu in vegetable oil for a few minutes

Add remaining ingredients & mix well

Cook for 5 - 10 minutes.

Nice just because I saw this I had to do it as my post workout meal.

Looks like I have a few new recipes to try in the coming days.

Back in the gym yesterday, I'm liking this infrequent training program, only in the gym 3-4 days a week now and am feeling better than I have in a while.

Yesterdays workout was my Olympic lifting style workout, it is back and delts but I try to practice some lifts as they hit both these muscle groups hard.

Deadlifts - Bar x 10

60kg x 6

100kg x 5

150kg x 5 x 3 sets

Renegade rows - 15kg x 5 x 3 sets

High pulls - 100kg x 3 x 3 sets

Clean and press - 80kg x 3 x 3 sets

Lateral raises - 15kg x 6 x 3 sets

Pullups - 6 x 3 sets

Prone bridging - 30sec x 3 sets

Diet

Meal 1 - Ultimate meal shake, 40g spirulina, 1 scoop Nitrofusion

Meal 2 - Lentil burger, 50g chickpea, 1 cup raw broccoli

Meal 3 - Same as Meal 2

Meal 4 - 120g mix of chickpeas and lentils, onion, olive oil

Meal 5 - 20g BCAA's

Meal 6 - Same as Meal 1

Meal 7 - 2 spinach pies with hummus, 10g BCAA's

I've been busy this week and my training has been interrupted a bit.

Had a short workout last night, was a heavy session so it kind of made up for missing a few days.

Bench press - Bar x 20

60kg x 10

100kg x 5

120kg x 2

130kg x 2

130kg x 1 x 2

Deadlifts - 100kg x 5

140kg x 3

170kg x 1 x 4

Squats - 100kg x 5

140kg x 3

165kg x 2 x 3 sets

Jacknives - 10 x 3 sets

Diet has been consistent all week, might have a refeed day on the weekend

Trained at MVS last night, had a great session.

We benched, squatted and had a dumbell bicep curl competition which was fun.

Bench press - Don't remember what my warmups were but did 110kg for 3 sets of 5 and did a single of 130kg. Failed at 132.5kg, I'm using the excuse that I had benched the night before!

Dumbell curl contest - We did singles of strict curls leaning up against the wall. I managed to get to 28kg (I think - it was 27 or 28) it was a struggle though.

We then lifted 25kg for as many reps as possible. I got 5 reps - Hayden and Noah each got well over 20 reps! I'm not all that good at curls, my biceps are just naturally pretty good!!

Squats - I worked up to 180kg for a single then did a set of 6 at 140kg to film and then we tried to see how many reps we could do with our bodyweight. I'm weighing about 83-84kg so I just tried 90kg and managed to get to 30 reps - it was much harder than the heavy single I did - took me about 20 minutes to catch my breath - I felt like a true powerlifter, struggling on double digit reps

Diet has been good, same stuff every day, tempeh and veges, couple of MRP's and a couple of lentil burger wraps.

Looking forward to training at Melbourne Uni Powerlifting club this week.

Aahhh MVS ...... your saying your workout was hard but I bet it was EASY! EASY! EASY!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your MVS training session and that your feeling like a powerlifter now. Can't wait to hear how your next powerlifting session goes.

The high rep squats were very difficult!! I haven't been training with high reps in a long time now so I really struggled.

Looking forward to some more low reps at the powerlifting club.

Had a short session yesterday. A mate of mine wanted to train with me, he just wants to be massive so he decided to just train arms. I just trained with him a little bit and went back to my normal style of training - which would probably make him grow more - he is just stuck in the mindset that a certain bodypart needs to be beaten up at each workout, hence just training arms for an hour.

Dumbell curl/dumbell skullcrusher superset - 15kg x 8

20kg x 6

25kg x 6 x 2 - use same weight and reps for both exercises.

Went back to train myself

One arm chinups - 5 x 3 sets

Deadlifts - 100kg x 4

140kg x 2

180kg x 1

Didn't manage to make it to the Powerlifting club on Monday, got a migraine that hit pretty hard, so tonight (Wednesday) will be my first session of the week. Took me a couple of days to recover.

Had a good workout this evening, felt strong considering I was not the last couple of days.

Trained bench press, squats and a few assistance exercises.

Bench press - bar x 20

60kg x 10

100kg x 5

120kg x 3 x 2 sets

132.5 x 1

135 x 1 - best I've lifted in a while.

Dumbell bench - 45kg x 6 x 3 sets - was all about speed on this exercise.

Squats - 60kg x 8

100kg x 6

140kg x 6 x 3 sets

Pullups - 6 x 3 sets - trying to do those ones where I pull myself high enough to do a pushup at the top - not that good yet!

Dumbell skullcrushers - 22.5kg x 6 x 3 sets

Rollouts - 10 x 3 sets

Meal 1 - Ultimate meal shake, chia seeds

Meal 2 - 120g tempeh, bean shoots, alfalfa sprouts, 1/2 avocado

Meal 3 - Same as meal 2

Meal 4 - Lentil burger wrap with spinach, beetroot and nutmeat

Meal 5 - 15g BCAA's, 15g spirulina, ginseng, 3g creatine

Meal 6 - Nitrofusion shake, 3g creatine

Meal 7 - 3 wholemeal spinach pies, chia seeds, bowl of nutmeat, chickpeas, spinach and beetroot

Joel - sorry to hear about the headache. Hope your 100 percent now. are you talking about muscles ups? Does your gym have rings to do dips on? It would probably be easiest for your to do you muscles up on the dip rings so you can pull right into the pushups without really changing grips. By the way those are super hard. I am very impressed!

Hey man!

You should give me some feedback based on the photos I posted in photos section. Trying to be at my very best!

I compete again July 11th and August 8th.

Suggestions?

Thanks buddy!

Sorry mate, didn't see this post, I'll check out the photos for you ASAP

Joel - sorry to hear about the headache. Hope your 100 percent now. are you talking about muscles ups? Does your gym have rings to do dips on? It would probably be easiest for your to do you muscles up on the dip rings so you can pull right into the pushups without really changing grips. By the way those are super hard. I am very impressed

Thank you, I am feeling a lot better now.

Yeah, those are the things I'm trying to do. Only have the pullup bar to use, so I'll just make do with that for now. Once I can do them properly I'll have to film it!

Had a quick workout last night, was held up at work really late, so ran out of time to train with the powerlifters again. I'm just finding it hard to make time for them at the moment and that sucks because I enjoy it.

Did some back and shoulders yesterday, was a good workout considering I was in a hurry.

Bentover rows - bar x 15

60kg x 8

100kg x 10 x 3 sets

Lateral raise - 15kg x 8 x 3 sets

Deadlifts - 100kg x 4

140kg x 3

180kg x 1 x 3 sets - nearly at my pb levels on this, just need to get past the psychological barrier which deadlifts create with me

Clean and press - 75kg x 3 x 3 sets

Pullups - 6 x 3 sets

Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 15 x 3 sets

Meals were basically the same as previous day.

Haha, I'm working on them. Just not quite explosive enough... damn bodybuilding training, it slowed me down too much!

Did some benches, squats and a few other things last night

Bench press - Bar x 20

60kg x 8

100kg x 3 x 5 sets - just speed work, the weight felt pretty light actually

Phone book press - 120kg x 3 x 3 sets

Plyometric pushups - 3 x 3 sets

Renegade rows - 15kg x 5 x 3 sets

Squats - 60kg x 10

100kg x 6

140kg x 3

160kg x 2 x 3 sets

Box jumps - 10kg x 5 x 3 sets - The box wasn't very high so I held a 10kg plate to my chest. Need to find a higher, stable box.

Pullover and press - 60kg x 3 x 3 sets - First time i ever tried these, really feel it in my forearms and triceps. Was a killer exercise

Jacknives - 10 x 3 sets

Meal 1 - Ultimate meal shake, acai berry powder, chia seeds, phytoplankton

Meal 2 - 2 Lentil burger wraps with chickpeas, beetroot and kale

Meal 3 - 120g tempeh, 1 cup beanshoots, chia seeds

Meal 4 - Same as Meal 1

Meal 5 - 20g BCAA's, 15g spirulina, 3g creatine

Meal 6 - Same as meal 1 but added 3g creatine

Meal 7 - 2 wholemeal spinach pies with hummus, bowl of lentils with lemon and red onion

Not going to be able to train with MVS this week, have a family gathering and I don't see any of them enough so thought I'd make the time. Next week I will get back on track because I enjoy training with them and it is motivating.

I am loving the things I am seeing in this log. The plyo pushups, the box jumps!!! I think I've had the sunbread and it is a raw dehydrated "bread". It is pretty thick from the seeds and stuff so I don't think it would work well. I would recommend using whatever wraps you are using for your lentil burgers. Also you would love the benefits of the raw bread by cooking it. There have been times I just used whole wheat wraps if I couldn't get my hands on the ezekiel wraps and they come out nice then too. I just try to use the ezekiels as much as possible as I think they are a better product. have fun with the fam!

Thank you!!

Yeah, the Sunbread looks a little to much for what I use bread for. I think I have plenty of sprouted raw stuff for now and anyway, because I start dieting soon all the breads will be kept to a minimum. I'll look out for the Ezekiel bread though, kind of seems cool to me because Ezekiel is the name I chose for myself when I was baptised before I got married (had to because my inlaws were strict Greek Orthodox - haven't told them I chose the name from Pulp Fiction though!!)

I'm liking the explosive stuff now, it comes pretty easy for me because I've always been more of a sprinter type rather than the endurance type. I just got caught up training like a bodybuilder for so long that I became slower, now it's time to get all my power back.

Just came back from a workout this afternoon, was motivated after watching UFC98 and had a good session.

Trained back, delts, biceps and calves

Deadlifts - Bar x 10

60kg x 8

100kg x 3

140kg x 2

160kg x 3 x 3 sets

180kg x 1 x 2 sets

Military press - 65kg x 6 x 3 sets - Was all about speed for this, getting better at the movement

Bentover lateral raise - 15kg x 10 x 3 sets

High pulls - 70kg x 3 x 3 sets

One arm chinups - 5 x 3 sets

Pullups - 5 x 3 sets

EZ bar curls - 35kg x 6 x 3 sets

Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 15 x 3 sets

Diet for today, haven't eaten dinner yet

Meal 1 - Ultimate Meal shake, chia seeds, acai berries

Meal 2 - Lentil burger, chia seeds, broccoli, phytoplankton

Meal 3 - Same as Meal 1

Meal 4 - sweet potato chips (while watching fights)

Meal 5 - Nitrofusion shake, 3g creatine

Meal 6 - Sweet potato chips again, Nitrofusion shake, 3g creatine, small serve of wild rice with mixed vegetables

Dinner will probably be tempeh and some broccoli.

I love it! I am going to start calling your Zeke!!!! The bread products however are named after some verse in the bible cause the full name is ezekiel 4:9. They write the verse which is something about taking all of the ingredients involved and making bread of it. I've only ever seen them in freezer. they are never out fresh because they are no preservatives in them and they would spoil in a few days. I even keep mine in the freezer or fridge so maybe check the coolers next time your in a store.

Yeah that's why I chose that name as it is in the bible, but mostly because I thought it was a cool name. Haha Zeke, I like it!!

I found a bread that is similar I think, a sprouted rye bread. Might use it during the week, got it in the freezer at the moment - like the Zeke bread it has no preservatives.

Just got home after my bench and squat workout, man am I tired.

Heavy bench and moderate squat day, think I need to organise my workouts a little as I'm just training instinctively.

Bench press - Bar x 25

60kg x 10

100kg x 3

135kg x 1 x 2 sets

Speed bench press - 105kg x 5 x 3 sets

Dumbell bench press - 45kg x 6 x 3 sets

I seem to be doing a lot for my bench program compared to my squatting, considering I am still going to compete in September I need to keep my chest as thick as possible, as it is my weak bodypart, whereas my legs are always just big.

Two arm dumbell rows - 30kg x 12 x 3 sets

Squats - 60kg x 10

100kg x 8

140kg x 6 x 3 sets

Dumbell skullcrushers - 20kg x 8 x 3 sets

Rollouts - 10 x 3 sets

I'll find someone to take a couple of photo's this week, my diet starts really soon so I'll get some before pics to see how I progress over the next few months.

Diet was a little messed up today as I was really busy.

Meal 1 - Ultimate meal shake, acai berries, phytoplankton, chia seeds

Meal 2 - Mixed beans with spinach and avocado. I've soaked the beans for the last couple of weeks with some dulse flakes, just heated them up a little to mix through the spinach. Basically raw.

Meal 3 - Small serve of wild rice and a lentil burger

Meal 4 - Nitrofusion shake, 3g creatine, yerba mate

Meal 5 - Ultimate meal shake, 3g creatine, chia seeds

Meal 6 - 3 wholemeal spinach pies, hummus, small bowl of mixed beans and spinach

zeke!! Glad you found something you can use bread wise. What about doing overhead squats? I haven't done any in awhile so I can't remember how much chest they work. I remember a lot of shoulder which is why I haven't been doing them. Or pushups with one hand on a ball. Those are rough too.Or partner pushups, get someone lite to weight you down as you do them. Torture! I'm just thinking about your chest! LOL! Can't wait to see some pics.

Alright Zekeie!! you're gonna hate me for this but do you have access to bands? If you can put them tight across your back and hold the handles under your hands that would make for some get restricted banded pushps. Or a plate on your back could work too.

I'm going to get some bands, they are on my shopping list, thanks heaps for all the suggestions, i appreciate it.

I do overhead squats now and then, like I said before, I kind of train instinctively so I never seem to keep any exercises in my rotation for very long - that is going to change though!

Hahaha,I don't think my chest is worth thinking about

Those pushups on the ball seem cool, it reminds me of MMA exercises.

Plenty of cool stuff to try now.

Had a good workout this week, got a pb on the deadlift which I am happy about.

The session was kind of a back and shoulder workout but I few a few other things in too.

Deadlifts - 60kg x 10

100kg x 5

150kg x 5 x 2 sets

192.5kg x 1 - PB!!!

Dumbell military press (standing) - 25kg x 5

30kg x 5 x 3 sets

Pullups - 6 x 3 sets

Jump squats - 20kg x 5 x 3 sets - same height as last time (just onto a bench), added 10kg extra

Power cleans - 65kg x 3 x 3 sets - Need to get my form tighter on this, my brachialis are killing me - think I'm curling it too much.

Hammer curls - 15kg x 5 x 3 sets

Diet was similar to yesterday, again missed a meal because I was busy. Need to get back on track tomorrow.