Joel's training journal

Congrats on the PB benching. I can't wait to get back to my shoulder so I could get a good bench number. I just don't have the stability to push it there right now as my shoulder will give out with any serious weight put on it.

Looking forward to hearing about your power lifting comp. Sounds like good fun. I am sure you will do well you put up nice numbers on here.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhh a future in muay thai would be sweet. My problem wit ha lot of the trainers I've seen is that they tell the client how to do something and then they zone out or start talking to other people. meanwhile form goes down as fatigue sets in and people get injuries. Just annoys me if someone is paying you for your time and expertise you should be giving it to them the entire time. Also I would like to bring my diet as well as I think most people have horrible diets. left hook is my best punch. I LOVE that one. try to get someone to count each deadlift you put up and give you a count at the end. that is a good way to turn it into a competition among the MVS crew or whoever you do it with.

Sssshhhh, don't give away all your secrets!!! Oh, I doubt anyone would be quick enough to block that left hook haha!

I know what you mean about trainers' not focussing on their athletes enough, happens in a lot of sports unfortunately. I guess fighting is a lot more personal though, so the coach needs to really be in tune with what's going on.

I'll be giving this deadlift challenge a go after the powerlifting comp, a few MVS boys are doing it so we will have to try it after we compete.

Congrats on the PB benching. I can't wait to get back to my shoulder so I could get a good bench number. I just don't have the stability to push it there right now as my shoulder will give out with any serious weight put on it.

Looking forward to hearing about your power lifting comp. Sounds like good fun. I am sure you will do well you put up nice numbers on here.

Thank you, kind of disappointed I didn't get 140 but I guess I can try and bring that out for the comp.

Yeah the shoulder is probably one thing you don't want to rush!

Here is a pic from MVS on the weekend.

Noah took some photos of us modelling the new Vegan t-shirts for Uproar, a new vegan/animal rights website being built - they're up on facebook too, so become a fan of them if you have a facebook account.

Maybe next time I will have to go out in the sun a little more, I'm about as white as the t-shirt is!

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/Kirk1000/untitled.jpg

I'm looking forward to the comp. I'm starting to worry I'll be in the 90kgs weight class by the way things are going and get destroyed by you if I don't get myself together.

I hear you're coming down to the club tonight?

Thanks everyone!!

Joel I don't know which is hotter the shirt or the bi's!!!!! what's the tat on your inner wrist?

I have a little pig on my left wrist and the human freedom/animal liberation symbol on my right wrist.

Haha, the shirt is hotter!!

are you a leftie?

My right arm measures more but my left arm has more bicep peak. I'm right handed though... don't get it!

I'm looking forward to the comp. I'm starting to worry I'll be in the 90kgs weight class by the way things are going and get destroyed by you if I don't get myself together.

I hear you're coming down to the club tonight?

I just got confused for a second about which board I was on, not used to seeing you here Andrew..

Don't stress too much about the categories, it's the first comp for us so none of us know what to expect. I'm nervous about actually lifting like a powerlifter, I've just got used to the explosive reps and now I'll have to relearn how to pause at the bottom of the rep - don't see any pb's for myself.

I think you have a good chance at the comp, regardless of whether we're up together - we can always have a deadlift comp between the two of us... I see 200kg next your name very soon mate.

Good to see you last night anyway, I'll be back on Thursday to bring my form and my life savings for the coach and have a workout with you guys, was in a rush last night hence I didn't hang around mate

When will my arms be as big as yours? I think I just orgasmed....

DUDE! holy shit!

again: best body on this board!

Hahaha!! Thanks guys!

I don't know Phil, I think Octo, Lean and Green and Robert are all right up there too, along with a few others. I was just lucky the light hit me properly

That's not the one I was picking.

Hahahaha!!

Good luck at the PL comp, Joel.

Thanks mate!

Just finished my workout this evening, bench press and squat focus session. Not my best workout, feeling like I may be coming down with a cold or something, feel a bit feverish and have cold chills, time for an early night I think.

Bench press - Bar x 20

60kg x 10

100kg x 3

122.5kg x 3 x 3 sets - after watching Noah lift 137.5kg for sets of 4 last night at the powerlifting club I'm feeling a little off the pace...

Dumbell bench press - 45kg x 6 x 3 sets

Bentover rows - 60kg x 10 x 3 sets - Did them old school style, standing on a bench and pull the barbell to my chest. Gym owner probably doesn't like me standing on his bench but oh well...

Squats - 60kg x 10

100kg x 6

140kg x 5 x 3 sets

Close grip floor press - 90kg x 5 x 3 sets

Rollouts - 10 x 3 sets

Meal 1 - Ultimate meal shake

Meal 2 - 120g tempeh, green beans, avocado oil

Meal 3 - Same as meal 2

Meal 4 - Lentil stew with chia seeds

Meal 5 - Nitrofusion Shake, 3g creatine

Meal 6 - 15g BCAA's, 15g spirulina, 3g creatine

Meal 7 - Lentils on rye bread toast

Thanks guys!

I feel pretty good today, throat is a little sketchy but managed to train without any problems again this evening.

Decided to just do more speed based training today, I'm going to the uni gym tomorrow so I don't want to be too sore for that.

I can't wait for my bands to arrive, keep checking the mail every night I get home from work like a little kid waiting for a present or something, will be fun when they finally arrive!!

Did some more legs today and a little bit of everything else.

Box squats - Bar x 10

60kg x 3

100kg x 2 x 6 sets

120kg x 2 x 2 sets

140kg x 2 x 2 sets

155kg x 2 x 2 sets - kind of went a lot heavier than I intended to but still managed to use a fair bit of speed.

Box jumps - 5 x 3 sets - Used a metre high box so it was a bit more challenging

Jump squats - 60kg x 3 x 3 sets

Medicine ball pushups - 10 x 3 sets - 5 reps each arm

Pullups - 5 x 3 sets

Dumbell military press - 30kg x 3 x 3 sets

Single leg calf raises -10kg x 10 x 3 sets

Meal 1 - Ultimate meal shake

Meal 2 - 120g tempeh, green beans, avocado oil

Meal 3 - Same as meal 2

Meal 4 - lentil soup with 2 slices of rye toast

Meal 5 - Nitrofusion shake, 15g spirulina, 3g creatine

Meal 6 - 15g BCAA's, 3g creatine

Meal 7 - Bowl of lentil soup, 2 slices of rye bread toast

Yeah I do think they would be good, however they're not really addressing the problem of flexibility. I like them because they can help with explosive strength, which I need more of.

Trained at the powerlifting club - my first ever proper powerlifting lesson.

Because the comp is only a week and 2 days away, we mostly focused on the main exercises and not much on assistance stuff - which is the stuff I'm actually strong at!!

I was not planning on training today, because I had squatted the last two nights in a row and also did bench on Tuesday and medicine ball pushups last night, I was feeling pretty tired. My intention was to pick up my soft suit and knee wraps for the comp and to pay my registration, as well as hang out a bit with the MVS boys and just ask questions about the show as I have no idea how to prepare for a comp like this. I guess I should learn to speak up because no sooner had I got there I was warming up on the bench press!

Nevermind, better to be taught hands on I guess.

Bench press - worked up to 110kg for 3 sets of 5 - a little disappointed with it.

Trunk twists with medicine ball - 10 x 3 sets - with smallish medicine ball

Deadlifts - worked up to 160kg for 3 sets of 5 - I was actually happy about my deadlifting today, have never lifted that much weight for that many reps.

Squats - worked up to 140kg for 2 sets of 5 reps - not my best squatting effort. Apparently my squatting is terrible because I'm too slow with my rep cadence. Should be 'dropping like a stone' apparently. Feels very awkward trying to drop into the hole so fast, scared my lower back will not handle it.

All in all I'm a little more nervous about the comp now, I thought I was doing better than I am. Better to be taught right early though, this will be a lesson learned for me, I don't want to suck at this again.

Meals today were not on schedule. I missed a meal and didn't take any pre workout stuff as I hadn't planned on training, two meals down for today. Apart from that I managed to eat my regular stuff and had a vegan sheppards pie for dinner with some couscous. Was very good!