Joel's training journal

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since your liking some of the fighting workouts another one that I was just reminded of recently is deadlifting your bodyweight for 5 minutes straight, no breaks as fast as you can. Then taking a 1 minute rest. Then do it again. 1 min rest and finally a third set. It sounds easy because deadlifting your body weight isn't that much but it gets tiring. It is a nice cardio burst you can add to the end of one of your workouts as a finisher. even if you only did one round of it to try it out.
That will be one to try this weekend. Could become an MVS challenge too!
Joel, here's a football one you might like.

Tabata Deadlift

For 20 seconds do as many reps of deadlift as you can. Rest 10 seconds. Repeat this 7 more times for a total of 8 sets. Your score is counted by total number of reps in 8 sets.

Amateur/Collegiate - 225 lbs

Professional - 315 lbs

4x4 - yeah tabata exercises are great! in CF we only get the count the lowest number of reps from 1 round as our score. this is good because it prevents someone from taking a round off to save it for another round pb. you have to put out every round.

Joel - did you get the bands yet? I would love to see your big self bouncing around doing box jumps and jump squats. Nice explosive work. I would worry about the comp. you putting up big weight and it is your first time so it will be a learning experience. I am sure you don't suck at it.

4x4 - yeah tabata exercises are great! in CF we only get the count the lowest number of reps from 1 round as our score. this is good because it prevents someone from taking a round off to save it for another round pb. you have to put out every round.
Tabata Deadlift is from http://www.crossfitfootball.com/

Still no bands yet, they just cleared Australian customs so I should have them in the next couple of days, we had a public holiday here today so no parcels were delivered.

Thanks for the workout 4x4, I have a few new things to try now after the powerlifting comp.

First time back in the gym in three days. Haven't been feeling 100% over the last couple of days and have also been flat out at work.

Trained at the uni again today. Because the comp is on this weekend, we practiced lifting with competition rules, so the bench was paused and also proper lockout was practised, my numbers will be sacrificed with those conditions but I'm still confident I will do ok.

I have my numbers I am lifting on the weekend, the coach prepares all the prep lifts and the three working lifts we have to do. I hope I manage at least a 500kg total, fingers crossed for any pb's.

Today we did doubles on the three lifts and I was pretty happy with how I went.

Bench press - 60kg x 5

80kg x 5

100kg x 3

110kg x 2 - with pause

115kg x 2 x 2 sets - again with pause

Deadlifts - 60kg x 5

85kg x 5 x 2 sets

120kg x 1

150kg x 1

170kg x 2 x 2 sets

Squats - 60kg x 5

80kg x 5

100kg x 5

130kg x 3

150kg x 1

150kg x 2 - was supposed to do 2 reps on the first set of 150kg too but didn't think and just did a single.

Feeling pretty confident after that workout, we'll see what happens on Saturday.

I haven't been eating much over the last couple of days, feeling a bit better this evening so will try and get all my meals back on track for the week.

Good stuff, man! Really strong. I'm enjoying reading your log Good luck with the comp and let us know how it went!

Good stuff, man! Really strong. I'm enjoying reading your log Good luck with the comp and let us know how it went!

Good luck!

Thank you!!

feeling alright? busy working or working out? just checking in.

Thank you! I've been checking in whenever I can but have been flat out so am a little slack updating my journal.

Feeling a lot better now, nervous about the comp on Saturday. I shouldn't be really, I'm not pinning any really big hopes on myself for my first comp, I just want to do my best.

Got my bands yesterday, I think I might hold off trying them till after the comp, I don't want to get too sore by trying new exercises. They look nice and strong and are pretty heavy.

Had a short workout last night, just a bit of back, shoulders and arms - all the show off muscles I don't really train when I'm with the powerlifters.

One arm rows - 30kg x 10

54kg x 5 x 3 sets

Pullups - 5 x 3 sets - am getting close to pulling myself right up to do the pullup and pushup movement. It's not as easy as I thought though.

Military press - 65kg x 5 x 3 sets

Barbell curls - 35kg x 6 x 3 sets

Dumbell skullcrushers - 18kg x 6 x 3 sets

Rollouts - 10 x 3 sets

I'm having a bit of trouble dropping weight for the show, am about 3kg over what I need to be but haven't given myself much time to lose the weight without feeling really flat. If worst comes to worst I can just go in the higher weight category.

Meals have been pretty good this week so far.

Meal 1 - Ultimate meal shake - Nearly out of it. Have really likes it though, might get some more after I get my Vega order from Lean and Green. I'll compare them and see which one I prefer.

Meal 2 - Veggie burger with broccoli and chia seeds

Meal 3 - TVP schnitzel with broccoli and chia seeds

Meal 4 - Same as meal 3

Meal 5 - 10g BCAA's (trying a new BCAA supplement from a company who's owner I know pretty well. Not all his stuff is vegan friendly, i.e. hydrolysed whey protein and stuff but his creatine is very good and the aminos are vegan friendly) 3g creatine

Meal 6 - Plant fusion shake (got some samples of it to try - tastes so much better than Nitrofusion!) 3g creatine

Meal 7 - Tempeh and broccoli, handful of raw almonds

Got my bands yesterday, I think I might hold off trying them till after the comp, I don't want to get too sore by trying new exercises. They look nice and strong and are pretty heavy.

What type of bands did you get? Jump stretch or something similar to use with barbell lifts?

And yeah, at four (five?) days out from your first meet, I wouldn't do any new exercises at all. Especially using band-resistance, as it adds a totally new element to squat/bench/dl. You have a coach so you probably don't need my advice, but are you planning to lay off training from now to the comp? Having a bit of extra rest can make a lot of difference on meet day.

Is the weigh-in the day of the meet or can you weigh-in the night before? Traditional advice for the first meet is to just show up at whatever weight you happen to be go for it. With a coach and a lifting club that might be different though.

What type of bands did you get? Jump stretch or something similar to use with barbell lifts?

And yeah, at four (five?) days out from your first meet, I wouldn't do any new exercises at all. Especially using band-resistance, as it adds a totally new element to squat/bench/dl. You have a coach so you probably don't need my advice, but are you planning to lay off training from now to the comp? Having a bit of extra rest can make a lot of difference on meet day.

Is the weigh-in the day of the meet or can you weigh-in the night before? Traditional advice for the first meet is to just show up at whatever weight you happen to be go for it. With a coach and a lifting club that might be different though.

Yep, they are Jumpstretch bands.

I agree that I shouldn't use them yet, I'll keep them all wrapped up so I don't get tempted to use them for now.

I do have a coach but I'm happy to get advice from as many people as possible, I'm not the type of person who just sticks to one program so any advice I appreciate.

With the weigh in, the coach wants me at 82.5kg, I'm a couple of kilos over but being lean I find it hard to drop weight.

We are weighing in the morning of the comp, I would appreciate it much more if it was the night before though.

I appreciate your interest mate, you know what you're talking about

With the weigh in, the coach wants me at 82.5kg, I'm a couple of kilos over but being lean I find it hard to drop weight.

We are weighing in the morning of the comp, I would appreciate it much more if it was the night before though.

I appreciate your interest mate, you know what you're talking about

You should be able to cut 2 kilos of water pretty easily in the 24 hr before weigh-ins. 12-18 hrs should actually be plenty to drop that much in water. But I've had mixed results cutting water with weigh-ins on the same morning as the comp. Much easier to put the weight back on when you've got an entire night to chow down Do you have any experience with dropping water weight for BB comps?

Anyway, I wasn't thinking about it when I posted earlier, but I seem to remember some of the MVS guys on VF having their meet attempts set for them by the coach - if you have yours already, and they're pretty conservative, I'd say go for the weight drop. A slight reduction in strength levels (and done correctly dropping water won't harm strength, but I've done it incorrectly a couple times myself) won't matter much, most likely, if you're not gunning for any PRs at the comp. Much better to go 9 for 9 at your first meet, then blow those lifts out of the water at your second

Nice!

Excited for you to get your package from Lean and Green. Thanks for the support!

Have an awesome week man! I don't need to tell you to train hard and eat plenty but I will anyway

Thank you Robert, I'm looking forward to it too.

You should be able to cut 2 kilos of water pretty easily in the 24 hr before weigh-ins. 12-18 hrs should actually be plenty to drop that much in water. But I've had mixed results cutting water with weigh-ins on the same morning as the comp. Much easier to put the weight back on when you've got an entire night to chow down Do you have any experience with dropping water weight for BB comps?

Anyway, I wasn't thinking about it when I posted earlier, but I seem to remember some of the MVS guys on VF having their meet attempts set for them by the coach - if you have yours already, and they're pretty conservative, I'd say go for the weight drop. A slight reduction in strength levels (and done correctly dropping water won't harm strength, but I've done it incorrectly a couple times myself) won't matter much, most likely, if you're not gunning for any PRs at the comp. Much better to go 9 for 9 at your first meet, then blow those lifts out of the water at your second

Yeah I have dropped water a few times for my bodybuilding comps but there's is not the need to worry about any kind of real strength. You're right though, once I drop my water i should be fine.

The lifts I have been set are pretty conservative, I have done them before, I just have to make sure my form is good so that they are legal lifts.

Thanks for your suggestions mate

Looking forward to hearing how the comp goes. good luck with it! Glad you got the bands and that your being patient and not using this immediately! I am so proud!

Hahaha!!

I've put them back in the box and kept them out of site for now.

Thanks for the support, there should be some videos to post next week

Got my order from Veganproteins this morning. Thank you Robert and Giacomo, you guys Rule!!

The package came just as I was leaving for work, ended up going in late as I was checking out all the good stuff.

Now I can get back onto the Sunwarrior and give the Vega a proper go, am looking forward to this.

Will have a light training session tonight, didn't train at the club last night, still not feeling 100% and want to feel as strong as I can for tomorrow.

Have pretty much resided to the fact that I won't weigh in at the weight I was hoping to, still hovering around 84-85kg but already feel quite depleted due to not eating much this week. Damn muscles are weighing too much!!

Either way, I'll just try and get all nine lifts and I will be happy.

Hey Joel,

Are you really going to train tonight? Unless it's nothing remotely heavy (and by that I mean not doing anything more than just the bar), I would recommend against it. But if your coach gave you some other advice ignore me...

You're well past the point where you can get stronger in time for the weekend; the most you can get now is to be well rested and completely recovered for the meet, and lifting is going to make that harder.

- Eric

Yeah, you're probably right mate, I just wanted to go and get a feel for the weights as I have hardly trained this week.

Didn't end up training, have to deal with a migraine and fever. Hope to wake up feeling better, there's no way I want to miss this comp.

Have not really eaten all day, a little bit of tempeh and salad and a Sunwarrior shake with coconut water. As nice as it was I forced myself to drink it.

Time to have an early night.