Joel's training journal

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff - I always find your log so inspiring, you always seem so on top of things!

Thank you lobster!! I try to keep on top of it all... a lot easier to say than do though

Had a small workout last night with my brother. Am still feeling pretty sore from Monday's session at the powerlifting club so just took it pretty easy.

Just did a bit of chest, shoulders, calves and abs.

Speed bench press - Bar x 10

40kg x 6

55kg + 2 x 5kg chains and 2 mini bands x 3 x 8 sets

Band pushups with 2 minibands (they are the second smallest ones now) - 6 x 3 sets

Lateral raises with chains - 5kg chain (weighs more than that but some of it doesn't leave the floor when I lift it) 12 x 3 sets

Military press - 65kg x 6 x 3 sets

One leg calf raises - 10kg plate x 12 x 3 sets

Leg raises - 12 x 3 sets

Decline crunches - 12 x 3 sets

It's good training at home, it's a different atmosphere to how my gym was and atleast now I can visit my family who I seem to forget about sometimes because of everyone's busy lives.

Diet - I'm getting into the pre contest diet now.. nothing really different yet to what I was doing but slowly it will evolve into a painful, bland diet... it will work though so that is why I choose to do it.

Meal 1 - Lentil burger with spinach and hummus

Meal 2 - Vega shake, chia seeds

Meal 3 - Tempeh, broccoli and chia seeds

Meal 4 - Sunwarrior/Nitrofusion mixed shake, creatine ( I forgot to add that to my supps list - still using it pre contest), GPL carnitine, yerba mate

Meal 5 - 10g BCAA's, 10g spirulina, 3g creatine

Meal 6 - Small bowl of oats with sultanas and almonds, 100g tempeh with hummus and mixed greens.

When is your contest?

Do you cut out carbs at all? I was playing around with lower carbs (not THAT low, but mostly carbs from fruits) and higher fats a little while ago and it seemed to be more filling.

I have a bodybuilding comp on September 27th and a powerlifting comp a week before (will be a struggle). There are also a couple of other bodybuilding shows early in October which I would like to do.

I do cut my carbohydrates right down as I get closer to the show. I get some carbohydrates from the tempeh I eat and the fibrous vegetables and I cut out most of the fruit in my diet and also any grains and so forth, there are still carbs in the diet but I have tested myself before my last comp and have managed to get into ketosis, even though it is not a regular ketogenic style diet.

I do the same thing with fats that you mentioned Lobster, I just increase them by a lot to give myself a fuel source as my carbs are lower than normal. It got to a point last comp where I was eating around 60% of my calories from fat - I don't think I will go that high this time, each comp is a little different and our way of thinking adapts like our bodies, so I change the diet up slightly.

I kind of felt the opposite to you with the fats, they didn't really keep me much fuller - or not that I noticed. I did however have less cravings than in previous diets, maybe because of the ketogenic state I was in.

This comp I plan on lowering the fats slightly and keeping my protein a little higher, with a weekly carbohydrate refeed to help keep my metabolism going.

Session last night at the powerlifting club.

Close grip bench - 40kg x 10

60kg x 10 x 3 sets

Trunk twists - 10 x 3 sets with medicine ball

Deadlifts - 60kg x 10

90kg x 10

110kg x 10 x 3 sets

Pullups - 10 x 3 sets

Glute/ham raises - 10 x 3 sets

Squats - 50kg x 10 x 3 sets

Decline situps - 10 x 3 sets

I really hate doing sets of 10, it hurts too much and I have to train lighter than I like. I'll try and persevere for a bit longer...

Diet

Meal 1 - 2 wraps with lentil burger, hummus, spinach leaves

Meal 2 - Vega shake

Meal 3 - Tempeh with wild rice, chia seeds and spinach

Meal 4 - Pre workout shake, BCAA's, Carnitine

Meal 5 - Sunwarrior shake, creatine

Meal 6 - Brown rice, lentil burger, macadamia oil

How are you liking the vega? I love it!

The Vega is awesome, it will be a regular supplement for me now. I'm glad I can support Robert and Lean and Green by buying it off them, they do a great job.

Awesome Bro, still a great looking workout!!!! Keep on inspiring me!!!

Thanks mate!!

Had a quick workout yesterday, was a busy weekend so not a lot of time to fit in a session.

Just did a little bit of everything, all the stuff that I want to do that I can't do at the club.

Bench press with bands - bar x 15

40kg x 3

65kg + 3 mini bands x 3 x 6 sets

Phone book press - 90kg x 3 x 3 sets

Supine grip chinups - 6 x 3 sets

Squats - 60kg + 2 minibands x 3 x 6 sets

Leg raises - 10 x 3 sets

Meal 1 - Lentil burger, bowl of steamed spinach with raw brown rice ( I like to just chew the rice, it's great for digestion) macadamia oil

Meal 2 - Vega shake with chia seeds

Meal 3 - Mixed beans, chia seeds, spinach and brown rice (the portion size is tiny, about one mouthful but is takes about 10 minutes to chew it properly - my dad got me to start doing it as a child and I've been doing it ever since)

Meal 4 - Pre workout NO drink, Carnitine, BCAA's

Meal 5 - Sunwarrior shake, 3g creatine, spirulina

Meal 6 - Wrap with lentils, hummus and spinach. Vegan cherry ripe from Noah - I saved it from the powerlifting club the other day to eat yesterday. It was great!

Back at the powerlifting club last night.

Kind of spewing I trained the day earlier because I've been put a program called the bench press intensity program - which as the name suggests is focussing on the bench press.

Felt a little flat going into the session, especially as I had trained chest the day before (don't know what I was thinking).

Anyway, the program will go for about 6 weeks and I'm hoping to get my numbers up on the bench, as it has become my weakest lift. I used to be a lot stronger on the bench, although my form has got a lot stricter and I don't bounce the weight up like I used to.

The program is high volume, low repetition, the stuff I like.

Bench press - 60kg x 8

90kg x 5

112.5kg x 3

122.5kg x 3 x 4 sets

120kg x 3

120kg x 2 - failed on third rep

Board press - 110kg x 4 x 3 sets - was meant to do 5 but failed on the fifth rep of each set.

Dumbell press - Thought the coach meant incline dumbell press so did the first set with a low incline but then was told it is basically a shoulder press - bodybuilding terminology is very different!

Did 2 more sets of 6 @ 35kg

Deadlifts - 60kg x 10 x 3 sets

Squats - 60kg x 10

95kg x 10 x 3 sets

Finished off the squats ok, just need to bring up my benching as this session proved.

Diet

Meal 1 - Vega shake

Meal 2 - Lentil burger, spinach, avocado

Meal 3 - Same as meal 2

Meal 4 - Preworkout drink, spirulina, carnitine, BCAA's

Meal 5 - Sunwarrior shake, creatine, superfood Probar

Meal 6 - Tempeh, spinach, wild rice, oilve oil

Had a workout with my brother this evening, just did some stuff that gets missed at the powerliftng club.

Trained back, delts, arms and calves.

Pullups (with towel hanging off chinup bar - hard to describe) - 6 x 3 sets

Bentover rows - 80kg x 6 x 3 sets

High pulls - 70kg x 3 x 3 sets

Bentover lateral raise - 15kg x 8 x 3 sets

Barbell curls - 35kg x 6 x 3 sets

Skullcrushers - 45kg x 6 x 3 sets

Dumbell curls - 15kg x 6 x 3 sets

Overhead dumbell extension - 15kg x 10 x 3 sets

Meal 1 - Vega shake

Meal 2 - Tempeh, spinach, avocado

Meal 3 - Lentil burger, spinach, chia seeds

Meal 4 - Pre workout drink, carnitine, spirulina, yerba mate

Meal 5 - Sunwarrior shake, creatine, spirulina

Meal 6 - 2 lentil burgers, mixed salad, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds

Yeah just a little workout in that it isn't a heavy session. There's more volume though but it feels pretty easy.

I forgot to add calves - I trained them too. Single leg calf raise - 15kg plate x 12 x 3 sets

That was 9 exercises, probably a bit too much volume

Session at the powerlifting club last night.

Trunk twists - 10 x 3 sets

Close grip bench press - 60kg x 6 x 6 sets

Deadlifts - 60kg x 8

90kg x 5

120kg x 8 x 3 sets

Pullups - 10 x 2 sets - couldn't do a third set, have a bruised finger, aggravated by deadlifts and struggled to hang from chinup bar. Did a very light set of dumbell row to compensate, not the same.

Squats - 40kg x 10

60kg x 8 x 3 sets

Glute ham raises - 10 x 3 sets

Diet

Meal 1 - Tempeh, spinach/parsley mix (steamed), macadamia oil

Meal 2 - Vega shake

Meal 3 - Same as meal 1

Meal 4 - Pre workout drink, BCAA's, carnitine

Meal 5 - 4 spirulina and 4 chlorella tabs straight after workout, Sunwarrior shake 15mins later

Meal 6 - Lentil and chickpea mix, spinach, olive oil

Had a workout Saturday morning, had the weekend off work so after I trained it was good to have a break. Also I needed to prepare for the Australia vs Germany eating contest which I'm doing today - I'll post my results after everyone is finished.

Anyway Saturdays workout was the following -

Bench press - Bar x 20

60kg x 10

100kg + 2 minibands x 3 x 3 sets

Speed bench - 60kg + 2 mini bands x 3 x 5 sets

Pullups - 6 x 3 sets

Lunges - 60kg x 5 x 3 sets

Squats - 100kg x 5 x 3 sets

Close grip chinups - 6 x 3 sets

Dumbell skullcrushers - 22kg + 2 minibands x 6 x 3 sets

Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 12 x 3 sets

Just had a workout at my parents garage gym, was meant to train at the powerlifting club but am short of time as I'm doing this eating comp and need all the time I can get - the powerlifting club is a real drag sometimes. I like having the MVS guys there but if we're all doing different things, it can get a bit boring.

Anyway, I had no spotter so took it a little easier, especially on the bench press.

Bench press - 40kg x 8

60kg x 3

90kg x 3

120kg x 3 x 6 sets - should have tried a few kgs heavier but doesn't matter, did better than last week

Floor press - 100kg x 5 x 3 sets

Military press - 65kg x 5 x 2 sets

80kg x 3

Squats - 60kg x 8

110kg x 6 x 3 sets

Deadlifts - 60kg x 10 x 3 sets

Still doing this eating comp so I'll post what I've eaten tomorrow, trying hard to get to 10000 calories..

Heres the list of what I ate for the eating comp - didn't quite make it to 10000 calories but stuffed myself full anyway.

Total 9104 calories - not the best effort but stretched my stomach as much as I could.

Ate in total

1 Vegan sheppards pie 470

2 slices of pita bread (the big Lebanese bread pitas) 395

4 Fry's schintzels 932

50g hummus 150

Packet of vege chips 450

Packet of Mrs Mays almond crunch 714

1 serve of Vega 240

200g pasta 280

20g Parmazano cheese 85

250g ABC spread 1512

80g rice cakes 190

4 more schinitzels 932

100g hummus 300

50g spinach 12 - waste of stomach space

Small block of 99% cocoa chocolate 170

Post workout aminos 20

3 scoops sunwarrior 240 - mixed some of the almonds in and ate like custard - thought of drinking a protein shake made my stomach turn

350g almonds 2012 - I now hate them

Back to 2500 calories a day for me for a long time, can't bring myself to look at some of the things I ate for a while.

Had a session last night at the garage gym again.

Speed bench - Bar x 15

60kg + 2 minibands x 3 x 8 sets

Pullups with towels - 6 x 3 sets

Bentover rows - 60kg + 2 minibands x 8 x 3 sets

High pulls - 60kg + 2 minibands x 3 x 3 sets

Dumbell curls - 18kg x 6 x 3 sets

Skullcrushers - 45kg x 8 x 3 sets

Leg raises - 12 x 3 sets

Didn't eat much yesterday, 3 vega shakes, 1 vege burger and some salad and 2 rye fruit rolls.

Will be back to normal from now