Joel's training journal

Had a training session this morning, first proper session in nearly a week. Did some unnecessary powerlifting stuff (band deadlifts) with a mate of mine and ended up injuring my neck and tearing the callouses off one of my hands. Stupid but painful.

Felt good to train properly this morning, have just been doing squats and some other bodybuilding movements in the last week to keep my condition but feels good to go heavier again.

Was essentially a whole body routine.

Snatch balance (drop snatch or whatever it's called) - Bar x 5

30kg x 3

50kg x 3 x 2 sets

60kg x 3 x 6 sets

Front squats - 60kg x 5

80kg x 5

100kg x 5

110kg x 5

120kg x 3

130kg x 2

Bench press - 80kg x 5 x 3 sets

Close grip chinups - 6 x 3 sets

Kettlebell tricep extension - 16kg x 8

20kg x 8

24kg x 6 x 3 sets

Hanging leg raise - 10 x 3 sets

Yesterdays food -

Meal 1 - 2 scoops Sunwarrior (unflavoured), cocoa powder, raw almonds and Brazil nuts, maca powder, goji berries. Mixed all together in a bowl with some water added.

Meal 2- Lentil burgers (cooked plain lentils, TVP, nutritional yeast, chia seeds, coconut butter) with grass and tomatoes

Meal 3 - Same as meal 1 but basically halved everything

Meal 4 - Same as meal 2 but had broccoli instead of the grass

Meal 5 - Amino acids, coconut water, activated barley, spirulina

Meal 6 - Tempeh (fried in coconut oil), broccoli, olive oil

I'll keep my diet similar to this up until competition day (about 4.5 weeks away). I've cut out some of my fats, i.e. cocoa butter and my calories are a bit lower - not that I'm really counting.

Starting to look lean now, I'll start taking comparison photos soon

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterdays food -

Meal 1 - 2 scoops Sunwarrior (unflavoured), cocoa powder, raw almonds and Brazil nuts, maca powder, goji berries. Mixed all together in a bowl with some water added.

Meal 2- Lentil burgers (cooked plain lentils, TVP, nutritional yeast, chia seeds, coconut butter) with grass and tomatoes

Meal 3 - Same as meal 1 but basically halved everything

Meal 4 - Same as meal 2 but had broccoli instead of the grass

Meal 5 - Amino acids, coconut water, activated barley, spirulina

Meal 6 - Tempeh (fried in coconut oil), broccoli, olive oil

I'll keep my diet similar to this up until competition day (about 4.5 weeks away). I've cut out some of my fats, i.e. cocoa butter and my calories are a bit lower - not that I'm really counting.

Starting to look lean now, I'll start taking comparison photos soon

Im getting tired of my diet! Im a little under 6 weeks and dont know how the f**k im gonna make it. My proteins and carbs are a little higher this year than last and my fats are down, but im craving anything and everything with fat in it!

• 2 weeks later...
Im getting tired of my diet! Im a little under 6 weeks and dont know how the f**k im gonna make it. My proteins and carbs are a little higher this year than last and my fats are down, but im craving anything and everything with fat in it!

I guess whatever you cut down on you're going to crave. I like to keep my fats up a little more and mostly have fibrous carbohydrates. I don't have cravings all that much but I do have a couple of espressos a day too and that seems to help a bit. Dieting is never easy but I guess fighting through all that is what separates us from the average person.

Have been training well recently, everything is clicking at the moment and am in my best shape ever with still 3 weeks to go. I've been pushing hard to keep my lifts up but haven't felt like my body has been beaten up after workouts as has been the case with previous contest preps.

Weekends workouts -

Saturday -

Front squat - Bar x 5

60kg x 5

100kg x 5

120kg x 3

Hang snatch pulls - 40kg x 5

50kg x 3 x 5 sets - I need to work on getting the second pull right and not just muscle the weight up so I will keep using light weight to get the technique right.

Snatch balance - 40kg x 3

60kg x 2 x 5 sets

Renegade rows - 24kg x 6 x 3 sets

Hanging leg raise - 10 x 3 sets

Yesterday -

Hang clean pulls - Bar x 5 x 2 sets

40kg x 5

60kg x 3 x 6 sets - Same as with snatch pulls, technique needs some work.

Behind neck jerks - 40kg x 3

60kg x 3

80kg x 1

90kg x 1

105kg x 1 - PB

Squats - 60kg x 5

90kg x 5

110kg x 5 x 3 sets

Bench press - 80kg x 5

110kg x 3 x 3 sets

Pullups - 6 x 4 sets

Skullcrushers/barbell curls superset - 35kg x 10 x 3 sets (10 reps for tri's, 6 reps for bi's)

Meals have been consistent and the diet is working well at the moment.

Meal 1 - Sunwarrior (1.5 scoops), Sunwarrior activated barley (1 teaspoon), raw cocoa powder (2 teaspoons), handful raw pepitas and cashews and teaspoon of coconut oil. Mixed in bowl with water to make fudge like consistency

Meal 2 - Tofu (130g), broccoli, 6 olives

Meal 3 - Same as meal 2

Meal 4 - Pre/during workout drink - 15g BCAA's, 5g extra leucine, 2g beta alanine, Vega sport, coconut water

Meal 5 - Post workout - 2 scoops Sunwarrior, 1 teaspoon activated barley, 5g creatine, 2 teaspoon cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon coconut oil

Meal 6 - Bowl of fava beans, coleslaw (just shredded cabbage and carrot - no dressing or anything) 6 olives, broccoli

Meal 7 - 10g BCAA's, coconut water, magnesium powder and handful of raw pepitas.

Don't know how many calories I'm consuming but either way I'm still getting leaner and my weight is sitting around 79kg, which will be around contest weight. Still need to get around to taking photos, just doing the regular bodybuilder thing and checking my progress in mirror for now.