Liquid Chalk

I doubt it would protect your hands from getting roughed up by the barbell. I found regular chalk to be helpful, not with gloves though, just got too messy. I didn't like the liquid chalk, regular chalk works better and isn't as sticky

I have used liquid chalk before (a few different kinds), and some are decent, others aren't so great. The spray bottle kind is not very good - it will dry your hands out a little, but doesn't really last long and requires frequent re-application. Someone let me use another brand (not sure what it was) that was in sort of a squeeze bottle style, and that one I will say worked well and helped my hands stay dry in an ourdoor clean and jerk comp some years back. Wish I knew what it was or where to get it, as it really did work well (and made no mess at all), but that was about 4 years back, long out of my memory.

Over gloves, nothing is really going to help. Liquid chalk is basically a combination of regular chalk and alcohol if I recall correctly, which is meant to keep your hands from perspiring and in turn keeps them dry so you don't lose your grip from sweaty hands. With gloves, it won't really do anything, but one thing to remember is, having gloves means having your fingers open further (due to palm and finger padding), so they actually make it harder at times to hold on to the bar. If you have padded gloves, it will spread your fingers out a little bit more, so it's like you're holding on to a thicker bar than normal. And, of course, the thicker the bar in hand, the harder it is to keep a grip, so you may want to ditch the gloves and just get some good old chalk to see how it works (so long as your gym won't kick you out for using it).

I used to use some because my gym used to not allow it. They have since relaxed their rules in the deadlifting area, so I don't use it anymore. I had some good luck with a certain brand; it made my hands incredibly grippy, but had to be applied every few sets. I can't remember the brand, but if I have any left in my apartment, I will tell you what it is.

I've never used it or Chalk. Does using that over weight lifting gloves help grip? Does it prevent you from cutting up your hands on ruff bar

I haven't tried liquid chalk, but regular chalk - on the hands, not on gloves - definitely helps grip. Tons.

I'd recommend ditching the gloves and just using chalk or liquid chalk.

I used to use some because my gym used to not allow it. They have since relaxed their rules in the deadlifting area, so I don't use it anymore.
Am I reading this right? You did it because it was forbidden?

Haha, bad use of a pronoun. I used to use liquid chalk because powder chalk was forbidden. I only do things that are forbidden if I think it is stupid that they are forbidden. With how big of slobs everyone is at my gym, I see why they would forbid powder chalk.

LOL at the misunderstanding above. I was wondering the same thing.

As for chalk uses, is it true that it also helps prevent/lessen the callouses in your palms because it "fills" the creases and wrinkles made when lifting? Not trying to hijack...I'll be watching this thread for info on liquid versus reg. chalk.

LOL at the misunderstanding above. I was wondering the same thing.

As for chalk uses, is it true that it also helps prevent/lessen the callouses in your palms because it "fills" the creases and wrinkles made when lifting? Not trying to hijack...I'll be watching this thread for info on liquid versus reg. chalk.

Never really thought about it, but looking back, I seem to have had fewer callouses when I did use chalk more often. However, it does dry the heck out of your hands after using it frequently, so that's one other thing to note about making chalk a regular part of your training.

Haha, bad use of a pronoun. I used to use liquid chalk because powder chalk was forbidden. I only do things that are forbidden if I think it is stupid that they are forbidden. With how big of slobs everyone is at my gym, I see why they would forbid powder chalk.
Hah awesome. People are slobs at my gym too. I think it's part of the macho thing.