Earthlings Movie

AEscalante1

I've seen it countless times, it always gets me worked up though, so I try not to watch it so much now.

I know what happens and try to do something about it, rather than keep subjecting myself to watching the miserable lives of those animals and make myself feel bad.

I have shown it to many others too, it touches people more so than most other documentaries I have ever seen.

I recommend it for people who are ignorant of the abuse animals face, AR activists probably find it too depressing, unless they need some more motivation.

i'm sure 90% of the members in here have seen it .... it's kinda like asking a nerd if they've seen star trek

but ya, i've seen it, just once though, that was enough for me .... i don't need to see it more than that really, just thinking about the flick reminds me why i stay with the vegan thing

It's even better now that Joaquin Phoneix is kind of crazy

Now but honestly it is a movie that I think everyone should watch, both vegans and of course non-vegans. I really hope someone can make a movie like this about the european animal industries because if you show it to people here they often say "yeah but that's the US and here we have great animal welfare" etc.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have only just tried to watch earthlings & wanted some feedback. I think I must be the biggest softy on the planet. I didn't get far into the movie (10 minutes or so) and I just felt this horror and physically couldn't watch any more. It's like I get a panic attack - I've always been this way about animals. Even just a fictional movie that has an animal that gets hurt or dies in it....and I'm bawling.

Perhaps I should just watch the movie in 10minute blocks? I want to see it only to cement the reason why I've turned vegan and to also (hopefully) introduce other people to the film.

Just want to know - am I going to have a rough time watching it all? Or should I just try & harden TF up?

Cheers,

Joss

• 2 months later...

I cannot watch this movie. I also cannot get any of the meat-eaters I challenge to see what they do to animals. to watch it past a few minutes. Once when I took a shower I brought the laptop to the bathroom and turned the volume high to hear the audio. I could barely hear due to the weak speakers and didn't listen to the whole audio but it still really upset me and made me ashamed of humanity and my humanity.

Finally I got this one friend Jose to watch the infamous "two girls one cup." But about a year earlier he gave up on Earthlings imploring me to turn it off.

Really this movie is the worst horror or gore movie ever, except it is real. I think perhaps BME Pain Olympics may have it beat, but I plan on seeing neither ever so I can't compare.

Really this movie is the worst horror or gore movie ever, except it is real. I think perhaps BME Pain Olympics may have it beat, but I plan on seeing neither ever so I can't compare.

I've seen them all.

The bme thing is just gross to watch because a dude mutilates his own scrotum.It's gross but in a funny type of way.Like a wtf type of way.

Earthlings was emotional type gore though.So many different emotions come over me when i watch it and other footage of animal cruelty.

The only video i never got through and will never go back to is the full video on chinese fur farms.I was crushed by seeing what happened to the raccoon looking animal then they started getting a white dog out of 1 of the cages to be skinned live next and i turned off my computer and went outside and just sat there in horror.

I can't even imagine the agony off having your entire body of skin torn off.It's the most evil thing i have ever known of being done to anything.

The only video i never got through and will never go back to is the full video on chinese fur farms.I was crushed by seeing what happened to the raccoon looking animal then they started getting a white dog out of 1 of the cages to be skinned live next and i turned off my computer and went outside and just sat there in horror.

Actually I saw that whole video covering Chinese fur farms. I wish I didn't though. At the end you can see the poor animal totally skinned, still alive and dumped onto a pile containing the carcasses of his already expired brethren. The poor thing writhes in pain, with its skin totally removed but still has the presence of mind to look into the camera before it finally dies.

Anyway it is not really good to watch stuff like that, it can only make you very depressed and ashamed of being part of a species that thinks it can play God. But it is a good idea to try to challenge fur wearers and meat eaters to watch in your place.

FYI, I just learned that according to the infamous Wikipedia BME Pain Olympics video is fake, filmed using actors and prosthetics..

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a public projection here in Paris followed by a speech by the director Shaun Monson.

There were just a bunch of people, mostly vegans, so we all went to the restaurant whith Shaun !

A realy nice and clever man !

It is no surprise that people find it hard to watch animal cruelty, but it is consistent with veganism. You don't need to keep seeing this stuff and reminding yourself of it if you are a vegan. But if you are non-vegan, and you can't bring yourself to watch it, then you have to think carefully about why that is, and what you're going to do about it.

I haven't seen it. I don't know if I'll be able to watch it or not. I'm sure I'll start crying in the first five minutes. And I don't cry.

I finally got around to watching Food, Inc the other day. My in-laws were absolutely freaked out about it, so I put it off for a while. When I saw it, I couldn't believe how mild it was compared to a lot of other things I've seen. At least my mother-in-law is giving me less crap about my "food issues" nowadays. If that movie affected them that much, I wonder what this movie would do to them (based on what I've heard). It's pretty much impossible now for me to look at cooked animal flesh and not see the animal and what it had to go through to get to the plate.

By the way, my husband and I had a mock wedding at the 40th annual Star Trek Convention. The Picard and Sisko look-a-likes married us, we had Klingon best men (and woman), and Andorian guests. How's that for "nerd?"

I agree that vegans don't need to watch this movie, but all non-vegans should. They should show it in schools, only vegans have the privilege to play outside during the screening

This movie shows so much sadness and suffering animals must go through, because of the misery of humans.

MAY ALL LIVING BEINGS BE HAPPY.

I have cried every single time I've watched it. I watched it alone first, then with my husband. I couldn't stop crying but wanted to share it with him, so I pushed through it. It definitely reminds me of why I'm vegan. I love Joaquin Phoenix.

After seeing Food, Inc and then Earthlings, and a few other documentaries, it's what inspired me to get involved with a local animal rights group. I felt so helpless and wanted to do something, anything. I totally agree that it should be shown to non-vegans, as well, and in schools.

• 2 weeks later...