Chocolate Silk Soymilk owned by dairy bastards

compassionategirl

This is the only kind of soymilk that I like, and I just read over on veganfitness that the dairy bastards bought out White Wave, makers of Silk. or something like that anyway.

SO it seems that everytime I buy Silk I am not helping animals much at all.

What surprises though is that I never see any commercials for soymilk. Always LOADS of commercials for dairy, but not Silk. Certainly the dairy people can afford commercials, yet they dont seem to want to advertise Silk because they dont want people to start switching to soy milk in general?

I dunno. this news sucks though that's for sure.

It is getting tougher with every year to buy from "trusted" companies that are what we believe to be independently owned because they keep being bought out by large corporations. It is far easier for someone like, say, Kraft Foods to buy out a small natural foods company that's well-established and trusted by those that consume natural foods than it is for them to try and break into the market with their own line. From what I've read it has been the growing trend these past few years for a lot of the mega-corporations to go this route, so expect that more companies will be following suit and will soon be owned by parent companies that we're not crazy about supporting. A tough issue, for sure.

Ryan

It was because of them that Silk received such a prime and large spot on the dairy shelf. I have known so many omnis who now drink Soy Milk because of the spot that Silk has received. These spots are purchaes by the company.

Possibly the dairy company new milk sales were falling and embraced the Soy Milk instead of fighting it (remember the, "you can't call it milk" debates long ago).

By having Soy Milk in such a great location, more people buy it cutting back on the cow milk comsumption thus production slows saving lives.

I know it's hard to think you may be helping them but in fact you are helping the animals by keeping SIlk and Soy Milk on a prime location on the grocery store shelves.

JMHO

as much as i hate all of the corporate purchasing of independent businesses, i have to agree that continuing to purchase silk soymilk is a form of activism - creating and maintaining a high demand for the product can only help in streamlining vegan foods into the average diet. i've racked my brain a million times over in an attempt to purchase "pure" products - whether it be sweatshop-free clothing, ethically produced jewerly, vegan products produced by independent companies...truth is, it's getting harder and harder. as long as the bulk of our society is ruled by capitalism and consumerism, don't expect this trend to change.

We had this debate on another board: Do you support the product or the company? I believe we have to let our voice be heard by supporting the product. If we boycott Silk because they are owned by dairy, then Silk could go under. That doesn't serve anyone well -- the animals or us.

We did have one hard core vegan who said he would not buy from companies that also produced meat/dairy. Whoa! What does he buy & where does he shop? Years ago Boulder had a vegetarian grocer - sold dairy, but no meat. It was wonderful, but was eventually bought out by Wild Oats & now sells meat.

Vegan Madre was right:

...truth is, it's getting harder and harder. as long as the bulk of our society is ruled by capitalism and consumerism, don't expect this trend to change.

The corporate masters have the majority of the population properly conditioned.

BTW, Nat, I've not only seen lots of Silk ads, but I've seen it on breakfast tables in movies as well.

Dean Foods sells whatever people want to buy. If people stopped buying soy milk they would stop making it. If people keep buying soy milk instead of cow's milk they'll keep making more soy milk and less cow's milk. So who cares who it is owned by, just keep supporting the products that have no animal products in them. And as long as big companies make soy milk, it will stay in the mainstream instead of just being a health food store only product like it used to be 15 years ago

You all make some good arguments that have made me reconsider this lil Silk calamity and look at it differently.

Yup, I think I agree with what everybody said.

I am thrilled to hear that you all have seen Silk advertised more than I thought it was being advertised. I myself have never seen tv ads for soymilk though.

Seasiren, I didnt know that the spots on grocery shelves were purchased by the companies??? So if the dairy people are purchasing prime space for Silk, then I see what you mean.

Ljk11 - i have tried those other brands, but Silk by far rocks the house. if you havent tried Silk Chocolate, you simply must. This product is better than cow's chocolate milk, and I also read (I think Daniel posted this) that Silk Chocolate is currently THE BEST selling chocolate beverage - beating out Hershey, Nestle QUick and all the other mainstream choc milk beverages. It is that good.

I am thus not surprised by somebody's comment above that their meat head friends even prefer Choc Silk Soy Milk!!!

the alpro chocolate soy milk that I have tastes better than I remember chocolate milkshake tasting. This stuff is thick and awesome, kind of like melted icecream, refridgerated. YEMMY. But it's been many many years since I had real milk shake, so maybe I'm an asshole

I've always wondered why the Silk soymilk was in the dairy case, and all the other soy/almond/oat/whatever milks were hidden in other random parts of the grocery store. One mystery solved, thanks.

I'm fairly sure that there are a LOT of people walking around right now, with happy bellies full of soymilk that wouldn't have even tried it, if it wasn't in the dairy case with the cow milk. I think that's a good thing, regardless of whatever else that company does.

It was because of them that Silk received such a prime and large spot on the dairy shelf. I have known so many omnis who now drink Soy Milk because of the spot that Silk has received. These spots are purchaes by the company.

I agree, my mom drinks silk now, for christ's sake. And my sister too, both omnivores. I know lots of people who drink silk even though they don't give a rat's ass about animal welfare. Also, it is nice that it is non-GMO, and also that they support renewable resources (wind power).