100g of kidney beans = 8mg of iron?

Yo, I was just looking around a few sites to find out how much iron there is in kidney beans. There was some conflicting info, on one site it said 10mg per 100g, and another it said 8mg. But either way, that seems like a lot of iron. Am I understanding it correctly? A can of kidney beans is 410g. So that's like 40mg apparently, which is about 4x the RDA.

Can someone clarify this for me? Maybe I misunderstood something about the weight, I dunno.

Yo, I was just looking around a few sites to find out how much iron there is in kidney beans. There was some conflicting info, on one site it said 10mg per 100g, and another it said 8mg. But either way, that seems like a lot of iron. Am I understanding it correctly? A can of kidney beans is 410g. So that's like 40mg apparently, which is about 4x the RDA.

Can someone clarify this for me? Maybe I misunderstood something about the weight, I dunno.

RDA recommendations tend to be low. They state that they're calculated for a 2,000 calorie diet, and even for a 2,000 cal diet, the recommendations are low. So you figure that most men need a lot more than 2,000 calories, not to mention if you're active at all that number can get as high as 3, 4, or 5,000 calories. Thus the amount of each nutrient you would need to follow the RDA guidelines increases.

However, that being said, your body is not going to absorb every bit of that iron. If you absorb and utilize half of it, that's probably pretty good.

Another thing to consider with iron is that, especially for men who do not lose iron every month in their monthly cycle, it's a nutrient that you don't need a lot of. Iron can get toxic if you intake too much of it. Unless you've been diagnosed with an iron deficiency, as a man you should not take a multivitamin containing iron or consume too much of it. The risk of toxicity is more likely than the risk of deficiency.

Cheers, thanks for that information. From checking out various other foods, it seems pretty hard not to get a lot of iron, so it's crazy that non-vegans say there is a risk of iron deficiency if you don't eat meat. It's total nonsense.

Yeah for sure. I never understood that, but I guess it's because people it white flour, white rice etc etc. Nuts is really rich in different minerals. Unhulled seeds (sunflower and sesame for example) is the best when it comes to minerals, the calcium, zinc and iron levels are really high. Just make sure to also eat vitamin C along with your meals. I guess if you eat few calories and a lot of the calories are from non-whole food sources you will have problems with iron levels.

From checking out various other foods, it seems pretty hard not to get a lot of iron, so it's crazy that non-vegans say there is a risk of iron deficiency if you don't eat meat. It's total nonsense.

Agreed. I don't do anything special to watch my iron intake. Last month when I donated blood my hemoglobin was somewhere around 16 gm/dl. They actually made a comment that I must eat a lot of meat and I had to be like, nope I'm vegan. They were surprised.

Then after that minor win I continued on to embarrass myself by getting lightheaded for the first time during a donation. Had to put my legs up but I didn't pass out. Oh well.