Coffee and fat connection

I agree with having a cup of coffee a day. Isn't bad. I just think of it as a workout supplement when someone needs a caffeine kick before heading to the gym.

When I use to drink coffee, that's how I actually lost weight, it killed my food cravings, and it also gave me a jump before a workout.

So it isn't bad if you drink it in moderation.

If you gazelle a pot to yourself then I can see the disadvantage it can lead to you.

My mother drinks pretty much drinks a whole pot of coffee to herself. She won't actually tell me how much she drinks. But she'll have a cup or two in the morning before work. Then she'll get me to fill her Thermos full before she leaves. Then she'll have some more on her brake at work. She's always feeling fatigue, and she has causes of terrible headaches (popping aspirin like it's candy).

So happy balance

My mother drinks pretty much drinks a whole pot of coffee to herself. She won't actually tell me how much she drinks. But she'll have a cup or two in the morning before work. Then she'll get me to fill her Thermos full before she leaves. Then she'll have some more on her brake at work. She's always feeling fatigue, and she has causes of terrible headaches (popping aspirin like it's candy).

So happy balance

Damn dude, she's just asking for an early death with that combo, that much coffee and then aspirin on top of that. Aspirin has an effect on suppressing white blood cell, white blood cells support the immune system (lymph nodes). No wonder she's feeling fatigued and having headaches. Caffeine is a CNS, and that's bad news for ones health. Coffee (including decaffeinated) also contains Oxalic Acid (look it up).

Tea contains oxalic acid too. So does spinach, chard, beets, and parsley.

Oggy if I didn't know better, I would think you're a sales rep for Lipton Tea.

Green tea has L-Theanine in it which cancels out the effects of the caffeine. L-Theanine is a nootropic relaxant, the Japanese put this amino acid in the food for students at their schools.

Japanese women live the longest and healthiest out of any other human beings on the planet,

Compared to whom, on what variables, according to what studies, which were funded by whom?

We know that health has different definitions, and is closely related to socioeconomic status and the availability of health care, especially in industrialized, industrializing, and post industrial nations. Comparisons of cross national health statistics have to account for a lot more than that too in order to be conclusive. What confounding variables do your studies, if any, account for? Reducing the result you're claiming (Japanese women are the healthiest in the world) to the fact that Japanese women drink a lot of green tea and brown sugar doesn't really work on its own.

Maybe coffee does cause belly fat... but the anecdotal evidence just in this thread fails to confirm it.

I always thought that with any oils, the racidification process begins with exposure to oxygen, but it doesn't happen in a flash, all right away. I'll check with my coffee roaster expert friend on that.

But at any rate, Theresann, are you saying rancid coffee oil causes belly fat, or caffeine specific to coffee causes bally fat? 'Cause those are two very different things.

All I can say are two things:

1. a lot of research by highly reputable vegan sources (Dr. Fuhrman, Bredan Brazier, Dr. McDougall, and many, many others) as well as non-vegan sources (medical, nutritional) say that coffee is bad news, as is too much caffeine. Coffee in particular is very acid forming and leaches alkaline minerals from bones and teeth, not to mention other problems with acidity.

my comment on that is that maybe some people have higher tolerances to this than others.

2. my OWN experience is that is is very very bad for me. at FIRST it wasn't. The first couple of months on it I can get away with it. After that it starts to really drain my adrenals, etc.

maybe if people have less exogenous stress in their lives, ie NO KIDS, only themselves to provide for, etc, then the added stress on the adrenals from the coffee doesn't effect them as much.

If it doesn't effect you, GO FOR IT! But watch your adrenals, cause I don't believe it truly doesn't effect everyone negatively, whether or not it causes more "belly fat". There are other side effects that might not be clinically measurable for a long time in a relatively healthy person. I'm just sayin!

I'm experimenting now with dropping coffee entirely. It just felt a bit too much like I NEEDED it, which I don't like. It's only been a few days, so I can't really say how it's been going. I have still been drinking green and white teas, so it's not like I've dropped caffeine entirely, though.

I've also been eliminating soy for a few weeks, but that's an entirely different topic.