Are vegan muscles better than vegetarian and omnivore?

You don't get muscles easier by eating meat and eggs. It comes down to a diet that incorporates all the needed amino acids, carbs, fats, vitamins, minerals, etc; as well as proper training and rest. A natural bodybuilder, regardless of diet, works harder for less gain than someone juicing and tends to keep what he/she's gained for the long run.

All I know is, I never had any more difficulty gaining muscle on a vegan diet than when I was non-vegan. Matter of fact, all my best progress came after going vegan. So, in my mind, it was easier for me to gain muscle being vegan, but that's just my own experience.

I certainly wouldn't say that it's much, if at all, easier to gain by eating non-vegan foods. Not only is it not substantiated by anything I've come across, but it sounds discouraging to those who might not want to go vegan based on old stereotypes. So, I'll sing the praises of being vegan AND being able to gain muscle easily enough, because as DV said, it's not so much in what you eat, but HOW you eat and train (and rest, and stress and so forth!)

All I know is, I never had any more difficulty gaining muscle on a vegan diet than when I was non-vegan. Matter of fact, all my best progress came after going vegan. So, in my mind, it was easier for me to gain muscle being vegan, but that's just my own experience.

I certainly wouldn't say that it's much, if at all, easier to gain by eating non-vegan foods. Not only is it not substantiated by anything I've come across, but it sounds discouraging to those who might not want to go vegan based on old stereotypes. So, I'll sing the praises of being vegan AND being able to gain muscle easily enough, because as DV said, it's not so much in what you eat, but HOW you eat and train (and rest, and stress and so forth!)

Fortunately, i don't need to write all that again, cos VE already did - so, "+1", as is custom in forums nowadays

I think alot of people struggling to gain strength/size blame it on being a vegan. The average meat eater male's lean mass is probably around 130 so it's not the meat that is doing all the work. Meat eater or vegan you have to give your body a reason to grow and that happens with alot of hard work something most don't know how to do or won't do. You would eat steak or day long but that isn't going to be of any benefits without the training

I've been lifting off and on for 7 years and my gains are as good or better then any time ever. I have a buddy that couldn't get strength gains on a omni diet and now for the first time in his life he's getting some results.

I'd say that my muscles are certainly more smug.

Agreed with that.

If I never watched protein intake and didn't take a powder my protein intake would be about 50g a day, AKA the minimum for human survival. Building mass on .5g/kg is a joke idea, and that's what I would be trying to do with a 'normal' diet. Compare that to a regular omni diet which is normally about 2g/kg of protein a day, if not more, and I believe my earlier comment seems reasonable. It's simply easier to get enough protein in your diet as an omni, because you don't even need to do anything beyond normal eating.

Also, if someone is 'scared off' from being vegan just because it's a little harder to build muscle, then they don't have good life priorities in the first place...

Just my 2c....

If I never watched protein intake and didn't take a powder my protein intake would be about 50g a day, AKA the minimum for human survival. Building mass on .5g/kg is a joke idea, and that's what I would be trying to do with a 'normal' diet. Compare that to a regular omni diet which is normally about 2g/kg of protein a day, if not more, and I believe my earlier comment seems reasonable.

I think, then, that the issue is a cultural one. A 'normal' diet in a western society is high in protein. However, you could have an omnivorous low-protein diet.

Same with a vegan diet.

I think the reason why we, as vegans, have to 'watch' our diet in regards to protein, it's because we live in societies were the main protein-source are other animals' "products". We've been brought up eating this way, therefore, once we stop eating that junk, we have to look for a 'replacement', so to speak.

However, I can imagine a vegan society where protein intakes are not an issue, because cultural knowledge regarding vegan diets would be the norm, and will be passed on the newborns - making it just another habit for them, not something they have to be exceptionally careful about.

Just my 2 cents back...

• 2 weeks later...
I think yes cuz its harder 4 us to get muscles and need more train , they just eat meat and eggs n they get muscles hard we dont get that easy , it really take us alot of exercise getting muscles,? what u guys think and why?

Protein is protein but there is an issue with the Growth Hormone response from animal protein. However, that also feeds cancer cells and promotes cancer.

Been 80% raw vegan for just over 3 weeks, lost 10lbs but gained strength and look much better. Was a meat eater before, I think the animal protein thing is a myth. Where do the other big vegan animals get their protein from? The cow eats grass and grows huge muscles. The human intestine was designed for extracting nutrients from plant based produce, not meat like cats and dog with short intestines.

Just don't over cook and you'll get big being vegan. Calories don't mean shit to me, its quality nutrients in its most natural form that count, check my avatar.

I think yes cuz its harder 4 us to get muscles and need more train , they just eat meat and eggs n they get muscles hard we dont get that easy , it really take us alot of exercise getting muscles,? what u guys think and why?

"I'm gay and I like to harass people and I have 18 posts and wasn't banned yet"

Like Couture said, vegans who don't make muscles blame it on the vegan diet, because stereotypes are still there; meat-eaters blame it on something else.

As long as you eat a variety of plant-based foods in sufficient amount you get all the essential amino acids and then it needs to be transformed into human protein, just like meat, diary and eggs need to be transformed into human protein. I've read that the plant-food which is closer to human protein is hemp.

I was eating meat, fish, dairies before and wasn't building more muscles than before when I was lifteing weights too.

I've heard from some people too that they made the biggest progress when on a low-fat raw vegan diet high in fruits. For some others it's on a cooked vegan diet, and some on a omni diet. What determines the gain of lean mass is mostly the intensity of your training, not the diet.