having a hard time making myself eat several small meals/day

anyone else have this issue? I know thats the best way to boost metabolism and I can even FEEL my metabolism slow down when I go several hours not eating, but for some reason, I resist eating every few hours. Its as if eating a whole food, plant based diet has so much nutrition I just don't FEEL like eating. *sigh*.

Maybe its just cultivating the habit, like everything else in life. Any suggestions??? anybody else experience this strange issue?

Sort of. I have no problem eating several small meals a day, but I still can't get enough calories. This is obviously no good because then I get tired and have a hard time recovering from an intense workout.

I know what you mean by not feeling like eating. I have that issue too. I'll usually have something like a banana or something for a snack.. Eating mostly salad for dinner stuff like that. My portions are small because my appetite is.

According to science (and not protein powder companies and bodybuilding magazine writers) meal frequency has little or no effect on your metabolism rate. Lyle Mcdonald posted a great article about it last year.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Eating three big meals plus maybe a protein shake after working out is no problem if you can eat all the calories you need in those meals. You should also look up intermittent fasting which is pretty popular, meaning you basically only eat during 8 hours of the day and fast for 16 hours. There are a lot of sites about it and the results are great.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I pretty much do that, eating for 8 hours and fasting for 16, give or take. That REALLY works for fat loss in my experience! I usually eat breakfast at around 7:30 am, then dinner by 5 pm and nothing after that. People argue about this but I am telling you it works to lower my bodyfat like nothing else. At 44 thats really saying something. Plus I have more energy when I get up early to workout (I have to at 5:30 am cause have a very busy daily schedule wtih kids, work, etc). This to me is probably the #1 health/weightloss secret there is.

i have almost the opposite problem, i can only eat small amounts at a time because i guess i have a small stomach or something...? i dont really know why actually.

But for example, a PB&J sandwich is a pretty big part of my diet and if i eat a whole sandwich in one sitting with maybe a half glass of water, i feel filled to the brim and dont want to move after that. So i eat a half at a time about 1-2 hours a part.

I've been considering moving up a weight class but every time i try i always give up after the first week because i get sick of stuffing myself (or at least that how it feels to me)

But i like that 8/16 fasting idea, i think im gonna give that a try.

Eating three big meals plus maybe a protein shake after working out is no problem if you can eat all the calories you need in those meals. You should also look up intermittent fasting which is pretty popular, meaning you basically only eat during 8 hours of the day and fast for 16 hours.

Not for someone wanting to build muscle. The body goes into a catabloic state after a few hours... eating 3 big meals as opposed to 6-8 smaller meals per day, even if the same amount of calories, creates too many catabolic gaps and will impede (or entirely prevent) muscle growth.

6-8 smaller meals not only keeps the body in an anabolic state, but also allows for better digestion and nutrient absorption

According to science (and not protein powder companies and bodybuilding magazine writers) meal frequency has little or no effect on your metabolism rate. Lyle Mcdonald posted a great article about it last year.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Eating three big meals plus maybe a protein shake after working out is no problem if you can eat all the calories you need in those meals. You should also look up intermittent fasting which is pretty popular, meaning you basically only eat during 8 hours of the day and fast for 16 hours. There are a lot of sites about it and the results are great.

I've been doing 8/16 intermittent fasting a few days a week since March, typically on my non-lifting days. After awhile you just don't feel the need to eat first thing in the morning as your hormone levels adjust to eating patterns.

Also Lyle's article has some interesting things to say about meal timing. The data is compelling, to say the least.

I still can't get enough calories.

I wish I had that problem....

I have a big appetite. I don't have a problem eating at least 6 small meals a day. I consume to many calories or don't burn enough depending on how you look at it. I bought a mega-blender, which won't be delivered until Thursday, to make veggie smoothes to cut down on my caloric intake.