Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

It occurred to me that I never posted about my 2010 goals.

Fitness Goals for 2010:

Get to 140 lbs

Be lean and 'toned' (care more about this than the actual # I suppose)

Run 5k in less than 25 minutes

Swim 500m continuously (crawl)

Run a 10k (registered for one on April 25)

Do a sprint triathlon (there are 2 here in the spring I am looking at doing)

Get a road bike

Have a more positive attitude

Do 10 push-ups (nose to floor)

Do 1 unassisted chin-up

Bench 100 lbs

Squat 135 lbs

Deadlift 150 lbs

Would like to find a third triathlon...

Look at possibly doing a half-marathon in the fall...

Some of those seem too ambitious for me, but I am trying to really push myself this year. I stay in my comfort zone too much. I can't really plan specific runs/tri's after May because as of yet I have no idea what city I will be in. Working on finishing up my degree and finding a job...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice list of goals lobsterrific! It sounds to me like you're well on your way already, and by the time you've achieved them, you surely will be well toned, so that's goal nr 2 achieved for sure

I'm hoping to look halfway decent again by summer (when it matters! ), and as a matter of fact I've promised myself a belly button piercing if I have the flab under control by that time - now that's something to work for (for me at least)!

And I'm soooo with you on the positive attitude! I've had a bit of a sh1te year last year, and managed to get myself pretty depressed half of the time, but this year is gonna be all about positive attitude! Been practising and I can recommend it; it's a lot nicer!

I'd love to be able to do 10 push ups, but try as I might I've never achieved more than 1 single decent one - same for unassisted chins. So your goals are really inspiring to me!

I'd love to get at least one 10k in this year too - don't think I'd be looking to run any further because I just get bored. Might look at improving my time instead. All of this said while drinking coffee inside a warm house, with an unreal amount of snow outside, which makes any kind of outdoor exercise, other than walking dogs, impossible

Roll on spring!!

Thanks you two!

I know what you mean...I honestly don't know how people run for 4 hours...I get bored after 30 min!

I am glad to hear the positive thinking has been working for you! It seems I am always thinking in terms of "I can't..." instead of "I can..." and focusing on what is GOOD on life. Lately I've been ruminating too much on the negative things. It's so toxic.

I've heard about your bad weather on the news. Can't wait for spring!!

No, I meant to before I left for the holidays but it just didn't happen. I'm hoping to in the next month or so. There's about 4 shops in town so I guess the best place to start would be to walk in and talk to a salesperson?

Saturday, January 9th:

60 min. spin class

My first spin class ever.....holy hell

The first 30 min. I was pretty sure I was going to die. After that I seemed to have found my 'second wind' and got into a groove.

Smoothie with spinach, protein powder, frozen fruit, banana, and flax

Salad with romaine, mixed bean sprouts (first time sprouting - yay!), celery, radish, onion, grape tomatoes, and mustard dressing; apple, pear

Lentil salad and roasted broccoli; pear, orange

Apple

Edited by lobsteriffic

Positive thinking is great! I'm very much a "my glass is half empty and someone else stole half my drink and spat into the other half" kinda gal; they definitely didn't have me in mind when they wrote "Always look on the bright side of life"....

However, I'm making a very conscious effort these days to think of at least one positive thing that happened that day, and tell you what, it works for me! Maybe we should start a "positive-thing-that-happened-to-you-today" thread, see if it rubs off. If anything, if you're having a pants day reading abut other people's positive things might cheer you up!

Okay, all go ahead and call me a hippy now!

when i used to take spin i found different bikes in the spin room were either easier or harder. I don't really know why since i would take all of the tension off before I started and then turn it up accordingly so maybe you were just on a tough bike. I never really got into spinning much but i'm sure you burn a lot of calories doing it.

Thanks John!

MS - I will keep that in mind...I will see if that is the case with these bikes. Although I imagine a large part of it was me and my lack of spinning fitness. Can't wait for next week already!

Monday, January 11th:

Squats:

95 x 5

95 x 5

95 x 5

105 x 5

105 x 5

Incline DB Press:

22.5 x 8

22.5 x 8

22.5 x 8

One Arm DB Row:

30 x 10

30 x 10

30 x 10

20 min. run on the treadmill

Food not so great...a friend went out of her way to make me vegan cookies so I had to try those. Then for supper my husband thought he would surprise me by roasting up a batch of cabbage rolls his mother went out of her way to make me (she had to track down some Earth Balance and was so happy she could make food I could eat). That was so sweet that I really couldn't say no. Unfortunately I love cabbage rolls way too much to eat just a couple and now I'm stuffed. Oh well. Vegan Ukrainian food is hard to come by in our families as everything is usually swimming in cream and/or butter so I guess I should just enjoy it when I have the opportunity to do so.

Vegan Ukrainian food is hard to come by in our families as everything is usually swimming in cream and/or butter so I guess I should just enjoy it when I have the opportunity to do so.

I can relate, same thing with my Lithuanian kin. They shuddered when I wanted my potato pancakes with out bacon fat poured over them!

True, it doesn't happen often, but when people go out of their way to make me things like that it feels so nice.

Tuesday, January 12th:

AM:

Hardly slept at all last night...stressed about my comprehensive examination defense this afternoon. Even though I had such little rest I had a decent workout - ran just shy of 5k on the treadmill. I've been doing up some reading on HR training and I think the reason my endurance wasn't progressing very quickly in the fall is that I was training at too high of a HR. So today I slowed down my pace and it went a lot better. I felt like I could have gone for longer, but unfortunately I had to get going.

Finished up with abs and stretching.

PM:

More stretching, more abs, did some negative push-ups

Food:

Smoothie with spinach, protein powder, frozen fruit, flax, and banana

Salad with romaine, tomato, onion, celery, mushroom, radish, and cucumber; leftover tagine; apple

Braised white beans; leftover tagine; steamed kale; orange

1 celebratory glass of white wine (yay, defense is over and I passed!)

Thanks!

I ordered some material from Total Immersion swimming today....an instructional book and a DVD with drills. I've read good things about both of them. Maybe they will help me to not be such a horrible swimmer. The pool is on schedule to reopen for next week so I can get some swim time in. It's going to be ugly...it's been well over a month since I last swam. Ah well, practice, practice, practice.

Wednesday, January 13th:

Bench:

65 x 5

65 x 5

70 x 5

70 x 5

70 x 4

Lat Pulldown:

70 x 8

70 x 8

70 x 8

Leg Press:

90 x 12

140 x 12

140 x 12

Stationary bike for 30 min.

PM: 45 min. yoga DVD

Food:

Smoothie with spinach, frozen fruit, banana, and flax

Salad with romaine, mushrooms, onion, celery, cucumber, radish, carrot, and mustard dressing; leftover tagine; apple

Chickpeas with tomatoes and spinach; frozen veggies; orange

thanks - I'll have to check that out once I give Total Immersion a try.

Thursday, January 14th:

AM: A slow 5k - 33:37

PM: stretching, abs, negative push-ups

Smoothie with spinach, protein powder, frozen fruit, banana, and flax

Salad with romaine, white beans, carrot, onion, mushroom, celery, cucumber, and mustard dressing; apple

Gumbo; roasted brussel sprouts; orange

Glad it helped! I also find it easier on my knees, but maybe that's in my head.

Friday, January 15th:

Negative Chins: 5 sets of 5

RDL's:

95 x 8

95 x 8

95 x 8

DB Bench:

25 x 10

25 x 10

25 x 8

Intervals on treadmill:

5 min. walk @ 5.5 km/h

3 min. jog @ 8.5 km/h

2 min. run @ 11 km/h

Repeat jog/run 4 more times (5 times total)

5 min. walk @ 5 km/h

Stretching

PM: more stretching, abs, and negative push-ups

Smoothie with spinach, banana, frozen fruit, and flax

Salad with romaine, onion, carrot, mushrooms, and mustard dressing; leftover chickpeas & spinach; apple

Leftover gumbo; sauteed savoy cabbage; pineapple