Lobsteriffic's Training Log - Oct. 31st Marathon Here I Come

I hope your foot gets better a.s.a.p. I had a Jones fracture in my foot and a few months later it rebroke in the same place. Hard to heal. I was in a cast 6 weeks and then a walking boot, which was lovely(sarcastic). The 2nd break took 6 months to heal, which sucked. I hope that's not what's going on with yours. When you say trainer do you mean crosstrainer like elliptical?

After I fell (again) on the bike (so not like spin class lol) I've been doing most of my cardio on the elliptical until my tendonitis calms down. Hope you feel better. Take care. By the way- your diet is super clean! Awesome!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Barb!

I hope your tendonitis calms down soon....after all you have that shiny new bike to go and play with!

By trainer I mean the magnetic trainer for my bike...I have it set up in the basement so I can ride my bike down there until the snow goes away. Which I am hoping is this weekend!

Friday, March 26th:

Noon: 25 min. swim:

125 yd. warm-up

750 yd.

225 yd. cool-down

PM: 45 min. trainer ride

green smoothie (spinach, protein, flax, berries, banana)

apple

giant salad (romaine, carrot, radish, cucumber, celery, mustard dressing)

orange

adzuki beans & butternut squash; roasted cauliflower

2 pears, apple

shake with protein, banana, soy milk, carob

Sunday, March 28th:

Clipless pedal fail. Took bike out for the first time. I couldn't go 2 feet without falling. I'm serious. I hear all of these tips for stopping at traffic lights or stop signs...well I couldn't even get that far. Gave my helmet a good workout.

Monday, March 29th:

AM:

Foot was feeling good all weekend so I went for a run this morning...a slow 5K (32:41). Foot was quite sore by the end and was sore for the rest of the day. D'oh. Shouldn't have pushed the running.

I am registered for a 10K on April 25th...I guess I need to let my foot get better so I can do that.

PM:

Went out on bike again. This time I just used my running shoes on the pedals instead of my cycling shoes. Went around the neighbourhood on some quiet streets for about 30 min. just to get a feel for handling the bike. Way different than what I'm used to. I'm a very wobbly rider on a mountain bike, so it's a little scary on the road bike. I think I need to practice bike handling more before I try clipping in again.

banana

green smoothie (spinach, strawberries, protein, banana, flax, carob)

salad (romaine, carrot, radish, cucumber, mustard dressing)

apple

couscous + chickpeas with roasted veggies, broccoli

2 oranges

cucumber slices

I'm going to go ice my foot. Mary will be proud.

oh no! was your first outside ride on a road bike in clipless pedals!?! Good try, but it's no doubt it wasn't very succesful! they're WAY "twitchier" than mountain bikes!

You'll get it thought. start with regular shoes, then start with only one leg clipped in and pedal in circles, then ride with one foot in and the other one just on top, not clipped in. then you'll start to get comfy with it. promise. it's fun. and the only way to ride a bike. also, I know it's scary, but it might be easier (for you) to ride on the tops (as opposed to the hoods or drops), but it'll be scary cause the brakes are going to feel REALLY far away!

practice makes perfect! Also, if you take a picture of your form on the bike, I bet viva and/or I could immediately spot any troublesome fitment issues.

jason has great advice!

try riding with your hands in the drops a little bit, you should have more control in that position even though it might feel a little less comfy on your back at first.

one thing: don't try to clip both feet in from a full stop. go to a curb or a stair, put your "step down" foot on it (if youre gonna eventually ride in traffic, train yourself for this to be your right foot at first so you can put it on a curb or whatever) and seated or not (do what feels safest) clip your left foot in (with your hands on the steering, of course) then spin with your right foot on the pedal, unclipped. of course if you feel more stable with your left foot unclipped, do that instead.

don't worry, you'll get it!

(make sure your bike has everything working right after those little spills!)

Thanks for the advice you two!

I definitely think I bit off more than I could chew with just hopping on a road bike for the first time clipped in. I'm taking the week to get used to the handling with my regular shoes then I'll move to one foot clipped in, etc. etc.

Last night I was riding on the hoods. On the trainer I've tried the drops and tops, I'll play around with that next time I take it out.

Checked over the bike and helmet...everything seems to be in working order. Thank goodness for the helmet though, I cracked my head pretty good on a curb. Might replace helmet anyway...I've heard that after you hit it hard once it might be a good idea to get a new one.

Sheesh! Be careful!

The grass could be your friend while you're learning as well.

When you finally get moving, just take a foot out (while moving) and touch the ground with it (don't drag it, that'll ruin your cleats!) And the reclip. Drill It as necessary. Its all the motions with none of the stopping!

I'm pulling for ya!

Ouch! I cannot imagine the whole clipping in thing on a bike. I manage to fall (pretty regularly) without that. I've just been using my running shoes when I ride. I totally stink at shifting the gears......so so totally different from spin class LOL....and my BMX when I was a teen didn't have gears.....maybe I need lessons. The hills are killing me so I'm gonna have to experiment on a flat surface and try to figure it out.....either that or I'm going to be a walking bruise. If road bikes are twitchier I can only imagine that I would be losing some serious skin. Hope you don't have any more falls. I can totally relate! Take it easy and hope your foot feels better. I'm actully going to my 1st accupuncture appointment tonight for the tendonitis. Maybe something like that could help your foot?? Just a thought. Take care.

Gah, woke up sick yesterday morning. I haven't had a cold in almost 2 years. Boo.

Between my foot and this cold I'm getting super discouraged about my training getting derailed. Oh well...I guess I need to rest to get better. I've been eating a lot of fruit, drinking a lot of tea and water, and getting as much rest as is possible. Unfortunately I can't really take any days off right now because it's the end of term and I have a bajillion things to be doing. But I'm making sure I get to bed early in the evening.

ugh, end of the term rush. hope it's not too stressful for you. if you skip training for a few days, it'll be good for healing up, which will make you stronger when you get back to a regular training schedule. not anything you don't know already. i think you got the right idea with resting!

are you taking vitamins these days?

Sure am...I thank a multi most mornings.

Ended up getting more rest than I should have (as far as paper-writing is concerned) this weekend.

Saturday, April 3rd

Went for a bike ride (using my running shoes on the clipless pedals again). Still kind of sick so I didn't push the speed and I had to stop lots to blow my nose. Went 12.7 miles in just over an hour (time includes all of the nose-blowing stops).

At the end of my ride I developed a painful cramp in my left forearm. Not sure what that was all about. It hung around for about an hour after the ride, too.

Between all of the school stress and then being sick my diet has been crap lately. Going to the store today to load up on produce and get back on track.

...I had to stop lots to blow my nose. Went 12.7 miles in just over an hour (time includes all of the nose-blowing stops).

save time! do it in the saddle!

you know how some cycling gloves are advertised as having "brow wipes" ???

also, you know how that cute guy you're drafting is always looking back at you? it's not because you're cute, even though you are... he just doesn't want to hit you with his snot rocket!

Thanks!

Sunday, April 4th:

Went for another ride but it was cold and windy and I wasn't feeling too good so I cut it short. 9.5 miles in just over 40 minutes. I was really chilled so I came home and stood in the shower until there was no more hot water then went and hid under a fuzzy blanket for an hour. After all that I finally got rid of the chill. Hope that doesn't cause a relapse.

Food okay during the day, went to our first bbq of the year for supper and had a couple of beer and some food I probably shouldn't have. Oh well. Didn't really keep track of everything.

Monday, April 5th:

Noon: 30 min. swim

PM: 40 min. trainer ride

Afterward played around with some db's/planks/etc.

I haven't had the energy to go workout in the morning...haven't been sleeping very well due to anxiety over job hunting/finishing classes/dissertation. Sigh.

I need to get back to the gym to lift some weights. I've been having motivation issues with that. I spend all winter cooped up in the gym because of the weather. Right now I just want to be outside.

Tuesday, April 6th:

Noon: 30 min. swim....swim felt really good. Balance was awesome.

Meant to go for ride in the evening...ended up cleaning out closet. Oh well, a job that needed to be done.

Wednesday, April 7th:

Noon: 30 min. swim....planned on 40 min. but a crowd of old dudes showed up and they didn't really know how to lane swim and were causing all sorts of collisions so I just said screw it after 30 and left.

PM: bike ride...13.3 miles in 1:07. Still not trying to clip in yet. I have a mental block now. Need to get more confident with my handling skillz.

I have no idea. The pool I usually go to is pretty warm. When you jump in it's not cold at first. Toward the end of my swim I usually find it a little too warm. There is a second pool on campus that I sometimes go to - it's a little cooler. When you first get in it takes a little getting used to. I can't stand cold pools...brr.

I haven't tried the one foot clipped in yet because I had a pretty bad fall like that and now I'm nervous and gunshy. I think I just need to get more comfortable on the bike to get rid of that panicky feeling. I was thinking of going to an empty parking lot this weekend and practicing with one foot clipped in.

If I'm your strongwoman hero, then you're my cardio and nutrition hero! I bet your cold isn't going to last very long, not with all the healthy habits you have. Now, on to planning my cheat day this weekend. I'm thinking coffee cake...