Cookbook recommendation if you're looking for something new

damdaman

I've heard really good things about that book on various blogs but it seems like most of the recipes are fried/high in fat. Would you say this is the case? Do you think they would be easily adapted to make them more healthy? My library doesn't have it yet otherwise I would just check it out for myself.

Well, the author specifically states that his intention way to create a "real food" cookbook and not a "health food" cookbook. That being said, he strongly emphasizes whole ingredients, no trans fats, no artificial sweeteners, etc. Some of the recipes involve as little cooking as bringing a pot of water to a boil, turning off the heat, inserting vegetable, and cooking in the now non-boiling water for 1 - 3 minutes.

He also encourages you to use less or more oil/salt to taste or to make it more "healthy" if that's what you're info.

But, it is soul food, and fried recipes certainly make an appearance. But there's a huge difference between sauteeing something in olive oil or using garlic-infused olive oil to roast root vegetables and deep frying in GMO soy/canola oil, which is what most people think of when they think of frying. These fried recipes are more the former.

Also bear in mind I'm not all the way through it.