The new pope is evil. I have proof. *disclaimer added*

sinisterkungfu

It's just fact. The way people draw Jesus, he looks like Bill Bailey. That doesn't mean Jesus is anything like Bill Bailey, although they do have similarities in fact. Pope isn't anything like the Emporer just because he looks like him. Besides, there is no need to worry, as we will all recieve our punishment in hell.

http://www.comedycv.co.uk/billbailey/2003-january-bill-bailey.jpg

Bill Bailey

wasn't jesus black? but then pope alexander used the image of his second son to be the image of white christ

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not everything on this board is directly related to veganism. after all, alot of the babble is just that - just people conversing with each other.

my dislike of religion has nothing to do with my veganism. i mean you cant even go out for a walk on christmas day without them trying to bloody convert you.

went for a walk with kathryn. walking up a street and say hello to some people walking the other way as they smiled at me. we decided that we were going the wrong way, and turned round. they saw us, stopped, waited and tried to give me christian propaganda. my reaction suprised me - i said, "not me, no!" in a somewhat panicked voice as i totally wasnt expecting it. the local churches have even started advertising on the radio now! and i went to a wedding the other day, and the vicar spent half the service trying to bloody convert us all. i mean - when im bombarded with the crap, its pretty hard not to get worked up about it. i dont make a secret of it and i wont apolagise for my attitude.

i am an athiest. i hate religion. and i dont care who knows it.

jonathan

Just because your wife who "is Catholic" thought it was funny, that doesnt mean that other potential Catholic or otherwise Christian lurkers would.

I dont see why all the anti-religion people on this board have to go out of there way to offend and mock the religious views of others, with such a wanton disregard for the argument that has been raised about turning off potential new vegans/members away from the site. Or do you not give a flying f%$k about that Jay? If you dont, then at least have the guts to say so, rather than trying to hide behind rhetorical questions like "This isnt Iran, right? I am allowed to not be Christian, right" etc.

These pics are such an immature, imbecilic, ignorant way of expressing your anti-religious views. And even after the administrator of the board has expressed his concern that maybe it is inappropriate, you STILL continue to mock and ridicule, showing a complete lack of respect for him and others on this board. There are so much more innocuous ways of expressing your clear distaste for Christianity and those who choose to believe in it. Yet, so many of you seem to go out of your way to express your anti-religion views as offensively and antagonistically as possible.

You take things way too freaking seriously. Chill out.

eh eh, funny stuff...

chesty leroux

I really didn't see it as a mockery of cathlolicism at all. i mean...he really does look like the emperor with that santa hat on.

That hat is actually called "camauro", last used by pope John XXIII. Apparently was used by different popes over the centuries and can be seen on some paintings.

I get the feeling CG is upset because Christian bashing seems to be pretty popular on the site right now. I mean just use your common sense -if people keep ragging on Christians then you risk driving some away, and if everyone on here starts going a little easier on Christians then you have a better chance of attracting new people to the site

I get the feeling CG is upset because Christian bashing seems to be pretty popular on the site right now. I mean just use your common sense -if people keep ragging on Christians then you risk driving some away, and if everyone on here starts going a little easier on Christians then you have a better chance of attracting new people to the site

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't ragging on anyone except for the Pope himself, and only because of the way he looked in those particular pictures. I'd do the same to anyone else regardless of race, creed, color, religion or whatever.

ah its not just christains - any religion really. shouldnt be taken personally - its a pretty general, non-specific contempt for all religions. its just that its christians that i meet most regularly so i have most experience with them.

jonathan

some people just can't be happy unless they have something to be outraged about or offended by. go figure.

With individuals like you around, it isnt that hard.

You may not, but I care about the work that Rob puts into this site and the possibility of turning away potential new vegans/members. You're right, I take that VERY seriously. But I wouldnt expect you to understand that Sinister.

Jay: i have given you the courteousy of a pm.

Will: You are exactly right about what it is that concerns me about this thread, but not many people seem to either have the common sense you speak of, or they simply dont care. And that makes me sad for the animals.

some people just can't be happy unless they have something to be outraged about or offended by. go figure.

With individuals like you around, it isnt that hard.

You may not, but I care about the work that Rob puts into this site and the possibility of turning away potential new vegans/members. You're right, I take that VERY seriously. But I wouldnt expect you to understand that Sinister.

It was a joke. It was intended to be humorous. If you can't understand that, I feel incredibly sorry for you. I seriously doubt a bit of light-hearted humor is going to turn anyone away from the site. I've got a lot of respect for what Rob's doing here, and this thread isn't going to impact that either way.

Will: You are exactly right about what it is that concerns me about this thread, but not many people seem to either have the common sense you speak of, or they simply dont care. And that makes me sad for the animals.

...and what exactly does this have to do with animals? You have a one track mind, and no, that's not a good thing. You need to loosen up. Alot. Are you OCD by any chance?

It was a joke. It was intended to be humorous. If you can't understand that, I feel incredibly sorry for you. I seriously doubt a bit of light-hearted humor is going to turn anyone away from the site. I've got a lot of respect for what Rob's doing here, and this thread isn't going to impact that either way.

What part of IT MIGHT BE PERCEIVED AS OFFENSIVE BY OTHERS do you not understand?

Hmmm....let us, in a similar humorous vein, take a somewhat inverse example. Instead of depicting a man held in such high regard by so many people as evil, let us take a man who is almost universally despised and depict him as angelic. Say, a picture of Hitler and depict him as an angel, with a little halo and a little pink dress or whatever. Afterall, as long as it was meant as a joke, then all will be okay, and Jews and others "should not" be offended. Right?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? probably. But I would rather be OCD than gratuitously insensitive to, and disrespectful of, others and their feelings.

Edited to tame some of the language down

Edited by compassionategirl

to be fair though - the new pope is deeply conservative, and is totally against contraceptives which could save millions of lives, and stop millions more people being born. he also supports the inherent sexism that is in the catholic church, and refuses reform. by the measure the man is infact at least partly evil.

jonathan

to be fair though - the new pope is deeply conservative, and is totally against contraceptives which could save millions of lives, and stop millions more people being born. he also supports the inherent sexism that is in the catholic church, and refuses reform. by the measure the man is infact at least partly evil.

jonathan

Fair enough. Much better than simply posting a pic depicting the pope as the Grim Reaper, with a title that adds insult to any potential injury, and with a paltry excuse like "but it was only a joke." A joke to us maybe, but likely to offend some others.

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME:

I dont think we should be making ourselves look like insensitive, tactless, disrespectful jerks to non-vegans. How does that help animals?

...and what exactly does this have to do with animals?

It has only been stated like, what, three times. I think Will stated it best, so I suggest you go back and read his post for the anwser.

I don't see the correlation between making fun of the facial expression of the Pope and 'saving the animals'. Do you really need to tie everything in to animal rights, even when there's absolutely no relevance whatsoever? How about you try not being outraged about everything, all the time? After a certain point it starts to get a little ridiculous, and it might make your life a little less stressful.

Fair enough. Much better than simply posting a pic depicting the pope as the Grim Reaper, with a title that adds insult to any potential injury, and with a paltry excuse like "but it was only a joke." A joke to us maybe, but likely to offend some others.

It wasn't the Grim Reaper, it was Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars. I hope your hair didn't get messed up as that joke went over your head.

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME:

I dont think we should be making ourselves look like insensitive, tactless, disrespectful jerks to non-vegans. How does that help animals?

Which is exactly what you're doing when you react like a complete psycho to a little bit of humor.

I don't see the correlation between making fun of the facial expression of the Pope and 'saving the animals'.

Well then I cannot be bothered explaining it to you again. It has been explained to death already.

Do you really need to tie everything in to animal rights, even when there's absolutely no relevance whatsoever?

No, not at all. I dont tie everything to animal rights. But what gets posted on a vegan message board for all potentials new vegans to see is tied to animals, in the way that has already been explained.

How about you try not being outraged about everything, all the time? After a certain point it starts to get a little ridiculous, and it might make your life a little less stressful.

Um, I know you're a relative newcomer to this board and all, Sinister, but trust me when I tell you that I have LOTS of fun here, as do my virtual friends.