THE +40 FORUM

JW

just thought I'd start of a thread for all of us +40 people (or close to it)

there are a number of challenges associated with working out as you age. Thought we could share some challenges,issues, experiences....

I am 46 going on 14

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I keep telling myself that but the brain keeps thinking my body is 23 my body tells me otherwise

How are you doing Gaia????

What do you mean challenges? Life begins at 40 baby! Oh yeah!!!!!!

maybe the subject line should be different....

THE 39 and holding forum

or

THE people who will admit they are +40 Forum

or

THE people who feel like they are 20 but are actually +40 Forum

I sense some hesitant vibes

:lol:

maybe the subject line should be different....

THE 39 and holding forum

or

THE people who will admit they are +40 Forum

or

THE people who feel like they are 20 but are actually +40 Forum

I sense some hesitant vibes

I vote for the second and third

Or

"THE people who feel like they are 20 but are amitting that they are +40 Forum"

"+40 anonymous who feel like 20 Forum"

I am doing most well thank you JW. Must say that the kids are getting to be adults now. It is so weird to just let them go out of the house and begin their own lives. Sigh....without me helping (yes, helping. . . not controlling in any way ) them. And my first just turned 20 this year! We teased her about not being a teenager no more. And now she is off to Japan for an international class this summer for 2 months. Meanwhile I have another graduating and trying to get a co-op position for the summer before he starts at Kettering U this fall (wants to work on either alternative fuel cell stuff or would like to do things like the Predator - mechanical engineering is his major). The last two boys will both be in high school next year, with the older one old enough to drive. The youngest, nicknamed baby-son now, is the only one left in soccer. Gets too physical for them when they try for high school, but this last one has alot of angst in him, so he might make a go of it. Only four more years of being a full time mother - just cooking vegan meals for these teenage boys is a full time job! Luckily my hubby still has a job for me to be able to . . um try. . to keep food in the house for everybody.

Wow!! time flies!

Our daughter finishes grade 6 in a couple months so we will have no kids in elementary school

My son will be in High School next year.

Hard seeing them grow in some ways but in other ways I just love watching them develop. It's amazing to have adult conversations with your children.

So do you find yourself having any extra "Me Time" now ?

That's one thing I look forward to

Gaia you must be so proud!

My oldest is 19 this year in college in Maryland, my 16yo is in college here in Michigan, 14yo is modeling now, and my 12yo is one vicious kick-butt Lacrosse Player ..... full contact and 1 of 2 girls on the team, coach always puts her in to cover whoever is the largest on the opposing team since she is so aggressive. She came in covered from head to toe in mud last after yesterday's game from slamming this poor guy heehee

okay.... so one of my +40 issues is definitely THE INJURIES!!!!

seems like I'm always getting hurt. serves me right for still playing soccer I guess

my latest and greatest is the pinkie finger.

going on May 8th for an MRI

doc thinks that my tendon is caught in the knuckle joint and will require surgery.

here we go again...............

• 2 weeks later...

Yay!! How fun! I just want to share (sorry no photos yet-will try to get some up today) how freaking fun being fit and vegan is because it REALLY turns back the clock.

I'm 44 1/2 and I LOVE saying my age because people always think I'm in my twenties. How fun is that?? I tell them I have kids and they can't believe it, and then I Say that they are teenagers and then to see the jaws drop! Its just so fun, and you KNOW a great opportunity to share about the plant based lifestyle. I do have a lot of grey hair that I color, just cause I'm not ready for it yet! My dad was almost white at 40 so besides stress, I think its genetic.

I feel happy that I am not taking the same path of aging that my parents took. In their late 60's now they have a lot of health problems that I feel so happy knowing I won't have. Combining a whole food, plant based diet with consistent exercise and a spiritual practice is the most effective anti-aging system there is. Its like getting to have our cake and eat it too cause now we have the wisdom while being young enough physically to have a shit load of fun with it!! Its freaking amazing. If people really knew how powerful the vegan diet with exercise is, they'd be flocking to this forum...Love to all!!

I guess my number is 41. I am a competitive bodybuilder and martial arts teacher. Most people peg me for much younger than I am. My favorite is when someone five years or more younger than I am says how they wish they were my age so they could get in the kind of shape I am in.

Is anyone out there experimenting with different training formats than they were doing say 5 or ten years ago with success? I pretty much train the same as I always have.

DCNINJA wrote:

"Is anyone out there experimenting with different training formats than they were doing say 5 or ten years ago with success? I pretty much train the same as I always have."

I only started working out again after a 13 year hiatus with free wts and cardio at home, tough dvd workouts. The only difference I found now since 13 years ago is that I have to be careful not to overtrain. I get better results keeping workouts to 4-5 days a week for no more than 30 min at a time than going hog wild for an hour of hard working out 5-6 days/week.

I'm finding that there are certain exercises that I have to avoid now.

I go to a gym that is heavily into circuit training and there are many of the cardio stations I just can't do because of my wonky ankle.

I'm also finding that it's not wise to miss a rest day. I seem to pay for it if I do.

Now if I could only avoid these soccer injuries!!!

Yeah, its pretty cool, I have to say. At this age, I can get away with working out LESS and still getting good results as long as I'm eating a clean, vegan diet. Pretty cool. I went from a tight size 10 to a 4 in the past 7.5 months. I just want to lean up now and drop some more body fat, but I know its well within range.

Has anyone thought about teaching people about this lifestyle, I mean, like hosting classes? I'm seriously considering it. Its just so effective and so powerfully anti-aging....I think it would be a popular class.

I have been thinking a lot about the anti-degeneration that a vegan diet encompasses. We have all known about the benefits of exercise. Eating what most people call clean is likewise a good way to stay youthful. Veganism as a method of anti-degeneration has mostly anecdotal evidence, but the evidence is none the less pretty compelling. I am meeting vegan and vegetarian athletes in their forties and fifties who are achieving phenomenal results. I know of athletes much older who are having exceptional results as well. I have noticed excellent recovery and emotional stability since going veg six months ago.