THE +40 FORUM

JW

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not 40+ (38 in september) but I have noticed that overtraining is much easier at this age. I have only been heavy lifting again for about 5 months and have already overtrained twice, once resulting in a nasty cold and nasal infection. I had muscle fatigue for almost three weeks. It was horrible...

I'm currently going back to raw. I was almost 100% raw for a year and a half, and it was the best year and a half of my life by far. In fact I stopped doing raw because it shocked my how happy and fit I became (i've suffered from depression and its consequences my whole life, turning into a happy healthy person shook my ego/id I guess). Now I just have to admit to myself that diet has a huge impact on personality and live with being that person.

ah and earlier posts about raw, well you can get raw food anywhere there is a produce section. I learned how to properly select food (many unripe fruits block HGH among other issues BTW, and taste horrible) and discovered that raw food tastes as good or better than prepared foods once you stop expecting fat and salt in every bite. It's also a plus to almost never have cleanup in the kitchen (I'm in to grab and eat, no raw-pizza-cake-pasta-pudding-sandwich for me).

that sounds soooo familiar re: the overtraining Phillip

I'm guilty of doing the same.

Interesting that you have found the diet to have such a profound effect on your moods. Thanks for posting that. It really helps to get that motivational kick in the pants!

I'm finally over a bout with the flu and oddly enough my diet has improved since I started feeling better. I'm not sure I'll be able to go 100% raw but I am certainly focused on increasing the raw intake

• 1 month later...

So it's called over training. I didn't have a week long recovery time when I was doing the Vega more often, so I think it's not age related, it's food related. But I have to take 6, yes 6, bean relief pills by Kals to not get really bad gas with Vega. I didn't have it before (when I first started taking it), but now it's bad. Weird, perhaps old fart has something to do with it I'm a secret old fart!

Like the Who song: I look pretty young but I'm just back dated

Almost 43 now, and I look better than I did when I was 20!

Yes, dropsoul you look gorgeous!! WAY younger than most people I know our age (I'm almost 45).

I can't get this forum to accept any of my photos, too big of files, I guess. I'll get one up as soon as I can...'

Whole food, plant based nutrition, not drinking alcohol and consistent weight training and cardio ARE the fountain of youth..my BF was talking with his friends about how their moms at our ages looked so much older than their wives and girlfriends now and he was like "yeah, my GF is HOT!" lol....the first time his friends met me, they asked him if he was robbing the cradle..we are the same age-we laugh a lot about this.

All my clients (I'm a holistic healthcare practitioner and medical intuitive) ask how to lose weight...I'm like, this stuff works! I don't know why anyone WOULDN'T want to live this way. I guess its just cause they don't want to give up their addictions.

Yes! One of the women in the profiles wrote about a 60 year old raw foodist who she exclaimed "GORGEOUS and SEXY" and so she went raw. The more raw, the better the skin. So now I got this video thingy so I must video tape my face exercises and post. I am working on lifting the cheeks and smoothing the forehead. It works but every day (not like the rest of your body), got the program by a former body builder:

http://www.flexeffect.com/

Her face is awesome! My eyes are less hooded now, my jawline is tighter, loads of benefits (circulation being a key thing). I've been doing it for a year but not consistently (shame on me!!!)

Now that and vaginal exercises (kegel on steroids Kegel Master 2000) and ROCK on!

My boyfriend is having a nice time with me

Resize your photos this way:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

hey, thanks for sharing those resources. I actually bought that same face exercise thing like 12 years ago. I think I felt overwhelmed with having to do it for 30 min every day. but that was then, this is now. I think I will get it again. Those before and after photos on her site are pretty amazing, some of them. Definitely worth doing.

The kegel thing...that sounds good too, but PRICEY! geez...have to wait until funds allow...but you are finding that works too? That would make life more FUN, if you know what I mean...

Blessings!!

The face is about 10 min in the am and 10 at night. But I just do it here and there during the day. 5 reps of 10 count on eye lids and chin/jaw. The cheek on is the one that takes the longest for both results and time. Eye lids and jaw line should be the focus, the sag can be totally prevented. The flex effect program is better than the other two I've tried, she really knows her muscles!

It's easier to prevent than to reverse, it took one guy 2 years of relentless exercise, but Damn!

The kegel, YES, very, very worth it. Vaginal rejuvination is really popular, but that's just painful and risky! You can rebuild your face, body, and tighten your meow (and all your pelvic floor muscles) with resistance exercise. Wonderful!

wow,i am almost old enough for this forum!

i turn 39 in 2 weeks so i am near 40+ than anything else!(went vegetarian at 12 and vegan at 18)

to be honest i think it is only since i go into my late 30`s that i have developed anything like a sensible approach to training/fitness. I did a lot of thai boxing in my 20`s and if i`d had anything like a clue about nutrition,weight training, lifestyle etc i think i could have gone far with both my fighting and my fitness and probably avoided too many years of a poor lifestyle( too much drinking/drugs) as well.

so at almost 39 i actually feel i have a much better shot at things,sure my body does not work the way it used to but i still train hard in martial arts and weight training and having a mature attitude and a better understanding of nutrition and supplementing my diet i am happy with my body and feel confident that i can make huge improvements still,i am a work in progress!

A couple of months back i fought in a kali stick stick fighting tournament and won fighter of the day,most of the guys i was fighting were in their 20`s and they were gassed badly,some exhausted after the first or second rounds and i was still going strong in the third!

people are often shocked when i tell them i am 38>39 and regularly have me down as being in my 20`s.i put it down to being Vegan and i am always proud to tell people this!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A pro bodybuilder once told me there is no such things as overtraining, only under eating. LOL. I think she may have been a little tongue in cheek, but she was on to something. I find if my nutrition is tight, over training is much less likely to happen.

Forgot about this thread!

I've met Ms. Steffapeppa and she does not look/act anywhere near 40! She's definitely a youngin' all over <3

Oh, gymmie-that is too kind of you!

Hey-I just tried out my first Billy Blanks dvd the other day....yikes! Can you say coordination? I have to work on that...

• 5 weeks later...
wow,i am almost old enough for this forum!

i turn 39 in 2 weeks so i am near 40+ than anything else!(went vegetarian at 12 and vegan at 18)

people are often shocked when i tell them i am 38>39 and regularly have me down as being in my 20`s.i put it down to being Vegan and i am always proud to tell people this!

Wow..you are exactly the same as me!!! Its my 40th today and I was trying to think of something more productive to do than cry in a corner..so I thought I would check out this forum!

BTW, never ask kids under the age of 12 how old they think you are..you'll get answers ranging from 17 to 67! hahahh