THE +40 FORUM

JW

what about in terms of muscle mass?

have you lost muscle mass after going raw?

interesting....

I know I feel much better when I eat high raw content but as a "hardgainer" I worry about whether the diet would work for me

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I've gained muscle mass. At first I looked pretty slim, but I've very slowly-over a year and a half-put on some pretty good muscle. I'm stronger now than I've ever been in my life. For the first time, I feel like I'm powerful strong, where I get fatigued doing an exercise and can still keep muscling my way through more of them. Just upped my cable curl set weight (clean good ones) to 110 lbs-not to bad for a 163 lber. Got 8 good curls with a 70 lb barbell in the gym this afternoon. One of these days, I'll break out my camera and take some shots. I'm no Robert Cheeke, but I do carry my weight in the gym; most-though certainly not all- of the 20 yr olds in my gym would look better in my body than theirs! And I do it working out barely an hour a week; the combination of low-fat raw and High Intensity lifting really works good for me. I highly recommend it. Getting ready to put my 10 and 12 yr old boys on the raw diet for a month to get them shaped up for summer; did it last year and it worked wonders for them, though their mom wasn't to hip to have them stay on it. Maybe this year I can talk them into sticking with it for good.

hmmmm most intriguing

One of the things that has prevented me in the past from maintaining a high raw diet has been my family not being on the diet, and travel.

How have you managed and how do you maintain the diet if you are away on vacation or away on a business trip?

I just can't say enough about how much better I feel when I eat raw foods. Might be time to kick things up a notch

Traveling is a piece of cake. I put a box on the seat next to me and fill it up with bananas, cantaloupe, citrus, romaine, etc. When I get hungry I start grazin. When I run out, I pull in to Walmart or any old grocery store and fill the box back up. Of course, this is pretty much how I eat at home too.

Socially is where this diet is challenging. My immediate family knows I do much better on a raw diet so they support me. I cook regularly for my vegan wife and children, but I don't eat what I cook them. I usually just make up a big salad for myself and sit down at dinner with them.

Trying to socialize with people around food is very challenging since most restaurants don't have a single thing I will eat, and are often offended I consider their elaborate and expensive cooked fare unsuitable for consumption. At this point, I just don't really socialize much around food outside my family. Even among raw foodies I don't really fit in because most of them eat high fat and lots of exotic additives and what have you that I shun. I just build my social life around things I believe are constructive instead of destructive. I do pay a social price for my beliefs, but I believe the benefits are worth the trade-off. And occasionally someone around me sees how healthy I am and trys out the vegan lifestyle and really improves their life. So its like most things...it has its pluses and minuses, but mostly pluses to me.

Good1Use.gif.abb38c43908d0a52388580e516391a2f.gif

Ok, this is me just shot today. I'm 164 lbs in this shot. I've been 100 % raw on 80/10/10 for 18 months and vegan 3 years. 5 years ago, on the SAD, I was 100 lbs heavier. Next year I'll be fifty. I do NO aerobic exercise and do High Intensity Weight Training (HIT) twice a week for 30 minutes-less than an hour a week of total exercise. I'm not as lean as sometimes because I've been eating an extra 5% of calories from fat for the past couple weeks-good enough for me... hey I'm married! I never eat anywhere near 10% of my calories from protein (averages 5-7% daily); as a fruitarian, I get ALL my dietary protein from raw fruit and greens. IMO, protein supplements are a waste of money and hazardous to your health. Keep in mind, I'm a little bit handicapped from the movement disorder I have which prevents me from being as intense on the weights as I would be otherwise; the tremor gets worse with adrenaline so I can only get so intense with the weights before I have to back off. Without Essential Tremor I believe I could slab even more muscle on! I'm also 7 pounds heavier than this time last year, so maybe next year I'll be over 170. Speakin of next year, its the big 50 for me.

In this photo, I haven't had ANY soap or shampoo on my body (anything other than water) in more than a month. I rinse off with warm water twice a week, brush my teeth, and shave and that's it for hygiene. My skin is clear and healthy head to toe. I have no flatulence and no body odor basically ever (though my nose is very sensitive and people often over power me with their odors and perfumes, it can be pretty raunchy walking in a crowd sometimes smellin em.)

In terms of return on invested time and effort(yeh, I'm an engineer/Investor at heart), this system is tough to beat!

Edited by RawVgn

• 4 weeks later...

46 years old.

Going a bit grey and loving it. Grey beards look cool.

I'm definitely slowing down a bit and finding injuries take a lot longer to heal.

I find I need longer to warm up as well. I can't just jump on my bike and race away, I need to gradually increase the pace over a couple of minutes.

Hi My name is Stephanie and I am forty years old.

I have been for 4 months now. I put it in my username for all to see....tho I can't say

I am entirely comfortable with it yet. I'm trying.

Most people think I look and act younger. It is fun to tell people I have been vegetarian

for 25 years, vegan for 16 of those years and see them connect the dots.

I'm glad to see that I am in such good company!

Edited by steffapeppa40

I have been for 4 months now. I put it in my username for all to see....tho I can't say

Most people think I look and act younger. It is fun to tell people I have been vegetarian

for 20 years, vegan for 16 of those years and see them connect the dots.

You look like a hot young chick to me

It has been about 30 years since I went vegetarian and about 14 for vegan. I get the same thing you do. I have a match.com add and people keep asking me if my pics are current.

thanks beforewisdom---that comment helped to end my day nicely!

Actually, I just edited my post---I have been vegetarian for 25 years, not 20!

I did a couple good things as a teenager I guess....

My friend who is 41 says a lot of people lie about their age on Match.com. Kinda sucky to start out deceitful.

thanks beforewisdom---that comment helped to end my day nicely!

Actually, I just edited my post---I have been vegetarian for 25 years, not 20!

I did a couple good things as a teenager I guess....

My friend who is 41 says a lot of people lie about their age on Match.com. Kinda sucky to start out deceitful.

I've had head trips about my age( being over 40 is a lot easier than *turning* 40 ) so I can understand, but it never occurred to me to lie about it. Its more the norm on match.com than not. It is kind of funny I will be looking at profiles and be thinking "Man......that person is in really SAD shape for ____". then I'll give myself a "Hello? Maybe they are lying about their age".

Nice to have another grownup on the forum

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and getting ready to celebrate my 21st....anniversary of my 21st birthday. I'm really excited to find this forum. I love lifting, and am working on getting back into great shape after having a little one.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and getting ready to celebrate my 21st....anniversary of my 21st birthday. I'm really excited to find this forum. I love lifting, and am working on getting back into great shape after having a little one.

nice!!! welcome! and best of luck to you on your workout goals!

Haven't posted too much recently as believe it or not... I just got over the swine flu!!!!

not fun! Thankfully, it didn't spread to the lungs. I'm still a bit fearful of that but the worst is over and I'm no longer contagious.

20 years ago, this would not have bothered me at all but for some reason I'm pretty ticked that it stole a week out of my life!!!!

Can't wait to get back working out (although I think I'll wait another few days)

for 25 years, vegan for 16 of those years and see them connect the dots.

Hi Stephanie!

good for you embracing the 40 number

My most traumatizing b-day was 20!!! Out of my teens and a (shudder) grownup???? (i'm still fighting against that one!)

I'm 46 now and still feel pretty young at heart.

Welcome to our little niche in the forum!!!

good for you embracing the 40 number

My most traumatizing b-day was 20!!! Out of my teens and a (shudder) grownup???? (i'm still fighting against that one!)

I'm 46 now and still feel pretty young at heart.

Welcome to our little niche in the forum!!!

thanks-

hell, I think I even resisted entering puberty...I did not want to deal with that scary teen stuff!