Mark Bittman: What's wrong with what we eat

• 2 weeks later...
very good lecture about food production. granted we all probably know most, if not all he mentions, but still worth a watch

One of the first things he said was: "I'm not a vegetarian, but..." And then later, "If you're 'progressive,' you should probably be a semi-vegetarian." Informative as it may be, his lecture REALLY turned me off, because of the "It's okay to kill and eat animals as long as we're 'nice' to them (whatever the hell that means) while they're alive" attitude. Animals are not ours to use however the hell we want (or they shouldn't be, anyway--unfortunately at the moment the law and our culture say they are). Animals have the right to not be exploited by humans, and that's a point that Bittman totally doesn't get.

Edited by veginator

One of the first things he said was: "I'm not a vegetarian, but..." And then later, "If you're 'progressive,' you should probably be a semi-vegetarian." Informative as it may be, his lecture REALLY turned me off, because of the "It's okay to kill and eat animals as long as we're 'nice' to them (whatever the hell that means) while we're alive" attitude. Animals are not ours to use however the hell we want (or they shouldn't be, anyway--unfortunately at the moment the law and our culture say they are). Animals have the right to not be exploited by humans, and that's a point that Bittman totally doesn't get.

I saw him talk in Philadelphia and he made some comment along the lines of how vegetarians aren't any better than your typical eaters because they just substitute meat for other junk. This caused the crowd to clap in agreement, but that's not exactly what he meant.

I think he has a point, but he seems very bad at expressing it clearly and consistently. Perhaps now that his name is out there and he's riding on Michael Pollan's coattails he's just following the money.

His whole tagline is "Vegan until six (pm)" but if you look at his blog it's not hard to find things like breakfast scrambled eggs with shrimp: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/recipe-of-the-day-scrambled-eggs-with-shrimp/ The whole before six pm thing is just a simple formula to force people to consume more whole vegetables and fruits for a large part of the day. There's nothing magical about the 6pm time, but putting out a recipe for breakfast like that just works to undermine his gimmick.

He has some good points, but there are much better authors out there. Nothing personal against him, but I'm not entirely sure what the big deal is over him. He gets people to acknowledge their guilt about eating animals, but then comforts them that it's ok to continue doing it later in the day. Perhaps that's why they like him so much.

One of the first things he said was: "I'm not a vegetarian, but..." And then later, "If you're 'progressive,' you should probably be a semi-vegetarian." Informative as it may be, his lecture REALLY turned me off, because of the "It's okay to kill and eat animals as long as we're 'nice' to them (whatever the hell that means) while we're alive" attitude. Animals are not ours to use however the hell we want (or they shouldn't be, anyway--unfortunately at the moment the law and our culture say they are). Animals have the right to not be exploited by humans, and that's a point that Bittman totally doesn't get.

I totally agree with you. If people feel guilty about eating animals, they SHOULD. They shouldn't be told "it's ok".

I agree, people SHOULD feel guilty about eating animals. TOTALLY. I am a holistic healthcare professional and daily interact with clients who ask me "how can I heal this health issue?" and the number one issue they have is being too acidic, besides the emotional issues causing their health problems (emotional stress is acidic though too).

I tell them the number one thing to do to alkalinize is quit eating animal products. The second is sugar, caffeine, alcohol, etc. But FIRST is animals. FOR SURE. and of course, dealing with the emotional issues.

But you'd think I just suggested they jump off the empire state building to give up animal products. We are such a very badly brainwashed and addicted culture. It blows my mind how totally unconscious people are. I really don't know what to say. Sometimes my compassion wears thin and I feel like they just get what they deserve then if they are so weak willed and self centered to not even be willing to CONSIDER, even for their OWN health's sake, to go plant based. I really don't know what to say. Its dismaying.

Just venting

His whole tagline is "Vegan until six (pm)" but if you look at his blog it's not hard to find things like breakfast scrambled eggs with shrimp: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/02/recipe-of-the-day-scrambled-eggs-with-shrimp/ The whole before six pm thing is just a simple formula to force people to consume more whole vegetables and fruits for a large part of the day. There's nothing magical about the 6pm time, but putting out a recipe for breakfast like that just works to undermine his gimmick.

He has some good points, but there are much better authors out there. Nothing personal against him, but I'm not entirely sure what the big deal is over him. He gets people to acknowledge their guilt about eating animals, but then comforts them that it's ok to continue doing it later in the day. Perhaps that's why they like him so much.

Yeah, exactly. And he calls himself "vegan until 6 pm" or "vegan-plus" or whatever and encourages his followers/groupies to do the same. What a total bunch of bullshit! News flash: If you eat meat on a daily basis, you're NOT VEGAN, or even vegetarian.

But you'd think I just suggested they jump off the empire state building to give up animal products. We are such a very badly brainwashed and addicted culture. It blows my mind how totally unconscious people are. I really don't know what to say. Sometimes my compassion wears thin and I feel like they just get what they deserve then if they are so weak willed and self centered to not even be willing to CONSIDER, even for their OWN health's sake, to go plant based. I really don't know what to say. Its dismaying.

Just venting

Yeah, it's maddening that non-vegan people are so ignorant of and/or in denial about what they're doing to animals, and even if they largely know many of them still make all kinds of excuses to keep hurting animals, and I'm all for vegan venting. At the same time, we need to also remember that most of us have not been vegans our whole lives or even close to it, so we were a lot like them once upon a time.

"At the same time, we need to also remember that most of us have not been vegans our whole lives or even close to it, so we were a lot like them once upon a time."

true, true, but then we saw the light!! So, gosh darn it, they should listen to us!

If there's any way for a frustrated vegan to vent, it's on this forum! It's great having a community of vegans, because usually if I see a guy like this I'm the only one who thinks he's full of shit and I have no one to vent to (besides my vegan girlfriend ).

It's important to keep in mind that Bittman's message has no thought towards individual animal deaths, only the larger picture of total animal and Earth welfare. He doesn't interest himself much with their individual deaths, only the net outcome of our consumption on this planet.

Either way, if everyone followed his guide we would be consuming many fewer animals, so I can't fault him for too much...

• 2 weeks later...

It takes all of us to make one world! The same judgement that people pass on animals should we pass the same judgement on those who eat them? The benefits of living a vegan lifestyle has spoken millions to me with out bearing too much judgement of others. The only reason why I bring this point up is because I don't think the message (our message). Which is one of compassion of all sentient beings should exclude ppl. We all make mistakes and I believe that explaining and sharing rather than saying things like "bullshit" is a much more productive way of getting ones point across.

But to end on a upbeat, go workout harder at the gym maybe you have less energy to do all that venting, lol!!